Long range airpower: Manned, Carriers or UAVs?

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
On another thread it was pointed out that an advantage of bombers over missiles is their ability
to demonstrate resolve and then be pulled back at the last minute. Certainly the US has always preserved the bomber leg of the Triad even in the face of a massive Soviet Air Defence effort.

Much has been written about the limitations of both land based and carrier based airpower. For example the limited range of the F18 compared with the good old A6 Intruder or the fact that a Tornado cannot match the Vulcan or Victor when it comes to long range strikes.

Almost unnoticed the US has moved away from long range bomber strikes to using UAVs for sensitive precise strikes. Is it now time for the UK to grasp this nettle and replace the Typhoons, Tornados and JSF with a thinking intelligent UAV capable of global range and easy launch from any
platform. British Aerospace has I think been working on such technology. Now is the time amidst the wreckage of previous defence projects and the distinctly uninspiring JSF programme (known on some sites as "Dave").

The RAF now has enough Typhoons to keep its pilots happy for the next 10 to 20 years depending on the threat level. The RN should in my view concentrate on its own "unique" app- the go anywhere silently and deadly nuclear submarine. What these boats need are a heavier more deadly conventional strike punch.

If I were really feeling mischievous I would transfer the Typhoons to the Royal Navy (rather like the German Marine Tornados of old) and integrate them with Type 45s to provide a state of the art air defence system.

Helicopter operations are trickier. Shipborne helos stay with the RN, everything else should be moved across to a Royal Helicopter Corps (nice job for Princes William and Harry!).

The RAF would be left with the transport, tanker and airborne early warning force. Or perhaps not.
That nice Sir Stelios is looking for a new challenge!

Sorry, back to the UAVs. I really think these chaps time has come.

I like the idea of an armed business jet type aircraft. It would have the efficiency and long range of a commercial aircraft with the combat punch of a couple of fast jets.

Give it off the shelf equipment and hang the latest weapons on it.

High risk load out = 4x Storm Shadow + self defence dual role missiles (air-air and anti-air defence)

Low risk load out = 8x Paveway IV + 6x Brimstone

Could always fit an external gun turret for gunship, air policing and anti-piracy roles too.

Crew rest area in the back is nice!

Back
Top Bottom