Lockheed's 1953 VTOL flying saucer

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
On January 23, 1953, an engineer by the name of Nathan C. Price filed two patents on behalf of Lockheed. It took about a decade before the patents were granted.
  • #3,066,890 for a SUPERSONIC AIRCRAFT (3 sheets) was granted April 12, 1962.
  • #3,103,324 for a HIGH VELOCITY HIGH ALTITUDE VTOL AIRCRAFT (12 sheets) was granted Sept. 10, 1963.
The interesting thing here is that the "aircraft" detailed in these two patents is a flying saucer... a flying saucer design that is not only capable of high speed, but also high altitude... a far cry from the highly disappointing Avro VZ-9V Avrocar! Now I certainly don't have the technical knowledge to assess whether the extremely detailed plans and description of the type that appear in both documents are feasible and realistic, but what I see here is a major aeronautical company thinking the concept good enough to try and protect it.

I could have placed this post in the Avrocar topic, but I'd rather this design be treated separately so that its feasibility can be explored and assessed free from any comparisons with the failed Canadian attempt. I could also have placed it in the Patents section of the forum, but I believe it's a little more than a notional design or an isolated invention, as it emanates from one of the top players in military aeronautics.

Is it unreasonable to imagine that Lockheed might have given the technology a try in the form of sub-scale unmanned demonstrators? And even that this technology may have existed in the "black" world for several decades, accounting for many of the flying saucer sightings?

I'd really appreciate the input of engineers who can go through the technical aspect of the design and be critical as to whether or not it was realistic, feasible or practical at all, and if it had even the slightest chance of faring better than the Couzinet or Avro designs.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• US 3,066,890 - Supersonic aircraft - 1 of 3.gif
    US 3,066,890 - Supersonic aircraft - 1 of 3.gif
    107.4 KB · Views: 457
Great find! Nathan C. Price designed the L-1000 (XJ37) axial-flow turbojet engine as well. -SP

Interesting find ! Looks like a kind of lenticularly cased, vectored thrust jet engine to me.

I think that was the same Project,but 4 Mach speed ?!.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 111
I wonder if a dish shaped wing can produce enough lift or if high speeds can be reached, I think these wing shapes have a lot of lift but are quite slow