• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Lockheed P-38 test planes and planned developments

GWrecks

Big Wingy Thingy
Reaction score
sgeorges4 said:
Preliminary lightning:

http://p38assn.org/Personnel/kelly-johnson.htm

http://imguramx.pw/Through-the-Pass-by-Heinz-Krebs-P38-Lightning-After-combat.html
That last one reminds me of a twin-boom Do 335. How long has push-pull been around, anyway?

ACResearcher

Author/researcher/illustrator.
Reaction score
Push-pull has been around a lot longer than WWII. Take a look at the Dornier Do-X with SIX push-pull nacelles mounted on the top wing.

AlanG

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
sgeorges4 said:
Preliminary lightning:

http://p38assn.org/Personnel/kelly-johnson.htm

http://imguramx.pw/Through-the-Pass-by-Heinz-Krebs-P38-Lightning-After-combat.html
I sent all of those drawings before.

galgot

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
galgot.com
TomcatViP said:
Picture extracted from this series of book:

Illustration from R. Watanabe I guess
Certainly ! Watanabe's illustrations are gorgeous. i have this book, plus I collected the ones for each planes published in France, Spit, Fw190, Bf109... by Editions Atlas.
I miss the ones on Mosquito, Lancaster and Stuka tho. Beautiful drawings.
The scale plans included are accurate in shape and beautiful too but are not "up to date" to latest researches though.

KJ_Lesnick

Reaction score
I wish I could see a drawing of what was reported as being Kelly Johnson's idea of the "ultimate P-38". It would've had the extended center nacelle of the "Lightning Swordfish", a bubble canopy, and the radiators and oil coolers mounted in the wing leading edge, much like those of the Mosquito.
I didn't know it was Johnson's ultimate idea, but I do remember that a NACA report had proposed redesigning the gondola after-body, a redesigned radiator mounted in the wing-roots and a new cross-section.
I can see that they might have looked at putting the intercoolers there, too, but I can see several issues that would complicate that.
Not entirely sure how bad it would be, as the radiators placed there would allow the area under the nacelle to carry the intercooler over there (like the J).
In any case, such a redesign would've forced a considerable "hiccup" in production and was never authorized by the USAAF.
More than the P-38J did?

sienar

Reaction score
I wish I could see a drawing of what was reported as being Kelly Johnson's idea of the "ultimate P-38". It would've had the extended center nacelle of the "Lightning Swordfish", a bubble canopy, and the radiators and oil coolers mounted in the wing leading edge, much like those of the Mosquito.
I didn't know it was Johnson's ultimate idea, but I do remember that a NACA report had proposed redesigning the gondola after-body, a redesigned radiator mounted in the wing-roots and a new cross-section.
I can see that they might have looked at putting the intercoolers there, too, but I can see several issues that would complicate that.
Not entirely sure how bad it would be, as the radiators placed there would allow the area under the nacelle to carry the intercooler over there (like the J).
In any case, such a redesign would've forced a considerable "hiccup" in production and was never authorized by the USAAF.
More than the P-38J did?
The Aviation HIstorian issue 23 has a good article about the extended center pod and the compressibility problem with the P-38. Lockheed apparently had two test mules modified with the extended fuselage section in 1941, prior to the swordfish. Serial number 40-747 and the first Lightning Mk1 (AE978)

FXXII

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Push-pull has been around a lot longer than WWII.
Don't forget the Fokker FX in the USA with 4 engines in push-pull configuration.

Aubi

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
www.armedconflicts.com
Push-pulls existed from the beginning of multi-engine aviation, there was one version of Ilya Muromets (D-1) with tandem engines in 1916, and I think Caproni had some too. Capronissimo of 1921 had eight engines - two pushers in separate gondolas, two "pullers" in separate gondolas, and two push-pull gondolas.

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Watanabe-san's book is too heavy. I can't lift up it.:D

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Sorry,it's Convair LB-20.

Attachments

Last edited:

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
That's an image from Convair Advanced Designs - Secret Projects from San Diego 1923-1962 by Robert E Bradley, Specialty Press 2010. A good read.

gruff

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it, but does anybody have performance data on a Turbo-less P-38 as offered to the British?