Lockheed Model 30 canard bomber

This should be the patent drawing of the Lockheed Model 30.
The designs shown reached the model stage.
The idea evolved into a single seat canard jetfighter
and a fighter variant with pusher prop.

source:'Lockheed' by Bill Yenne.Bison Book Corp.USA 1987

hesham said:
Hi,

Anther unbuilt project for Lockheed from 1930s,designed
by C. L. Johnson.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=h45wAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1939&dq=%22CLARENCE+l.+JOHNSON%22&num=100#PPA1939,M1

Additional drawings

Attachments

• Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 757
  • Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 605
  • Escanear.jpg
    Escanear.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 588
The canard-design Model 30 looks impressive, and very advanced.
I would think that this on its own would have intimidated the USAAC high command?
Pity!
Its predicted speed would have been most welcome to its crews!

Regards
Pioneer

I believe this topic ought to be renamed, as it now covers more than the "trio"...

Here's a better copy of the Model 30 artwork by Robert Pike, from an old issue of Wings/Airpower:

Attachments

• Lockheed Model 30 by Robert Pike.jpg
    Lockheed Model 30 by Robert Pike.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 667
Stargazer,

Thanks for the Lockheed model 30 info.
Among the best I ever saw about this concept.

Source: Bill Slayton article in Dirty Plastic newsletter Fall 1983, IPMS Phoenix

Attachments

• Lockheed Model 30a.png
    Lockheed Model 30a.png
    403.3 KB · Views: 395
Was this for a program or just an internal design study? I'm just curious because it reminds me of the North American Design (NA-48X?) which had a small crew number and pusher props on the wing, shaft driven by engines in the fuselage.

It says in the Slayton article it was in response to a request for data (RFD) R-39-B(C-104) from USAAC.

Hi,

I am confuse with this aircraft,the attack bomber competition to that period was Circa 38-385
of March 1938 and its requirement revised in April 1939,which was the tenders;

Bell Model-9,Boeing-Stearman Model X-100 (A-21),Douglas Model-7B (A-20),Martin-137 (XA-22),
North American NA-40.

But not in January 1939 ?.

Did anyone think to put radial engines inline, one in front of the other in a fuselage…perhaps allowing one to be worked on in flight? This design would lend itself to that. Tail gunner at the base of the tail with arrestor gear perhaps.

Did anyone think to put radial engines inline, one in front of the other in a fuselage…perhaps allowing one to be worked on in flight? This design would lend itself to that. Tail gunner at the base of the tail with arrestor gear perhaps.
I suspect that cooling would be a major problem.