Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

Would Canada revert into buying Gripens?
The Canadian government picked the F-35 in March as the preferred bidder for its next fighter jet, announcing plans to buy 88 of the fifth-generation aircraft. Deliveries would be slated to start in 2025.

However, the final contracts with Lockheed Martin have not been signed as negotiations are ongoing, and according to Global News, Procurement Minister Filomena Tassi has warned that it is not guaranteed that a deal will be reached. Canada’s history with the F-35 is a fraught one.

Would Canada revert into buying Gripens?
The Canadian government picked the F-35 in March as the preferred bidder for its next fighter jet, announcing plans to buy 88 of the fifth-generation aircraft. Deliveries would be slated to start in 2025.

However, the final contracts with Lockheed Martin have not been signed as negotiations are ongoing, and according to Global News, Procurement Minister Filomena Tassi has warned that it is not guaranteed that a deal will be reached. Canada’s history with the F-35 is a fraught one.

Here we go again. :eek:

Better resolution images of the 65th Aggressor Squadron available.

65th AGR F-35A.jpg
65th AGR F-35A 3.jpg
65th AGR F-35A 4.jpg
65th AGR F-35A 2.jpg
65th AGR F-35A 5.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful, exquisite and even slightly erotic... But does that say that this is the end of the Undead F-117 saga?!

Is that photo deceptive, or is the F-35 really that small compared to an F-15E, and if so, how come it weighs more, or about the same empty?

Is that photo deceptive, or is the F-35 really that small compared to an F-15E, and if so, how come it weighs more, or about the same empty?
Small?

F-35A
F-15E
  • Length: 51.4 ft (15.7 m)
  • Wingspan: 35 ft (11 m)
  • Height: 14.4 ft (4.4 m)
  • Wing area: 460 sq ft (43 m2)
  • Empty weight: 29,300 lb (13,290 kg)
  • Max takeoff weight: 70,000 lb (31,751 kg)
  • Length: 63 ft 9.6 in (19.446 m)
  • Wingspan: 42 ft 9.6 in (13.045 m)
  • Height: 18 ft 6 in (5.64 m)
  • Wing area: 608 sq ft (56.5 m2)
  • Empty weight: 31,700 lb (14,379 kg)
  • Max takeoff weight: 81,000 lb (36,741 kg)

Small?

F-35A
F-15E
  • Length: 51.4 ft (15.7 m)
  • Wingspan: 35 ft (11 m)
  • Height: 14.4 ft (4.4 m)
  • Wing area: 460 sq ft (43 m2)
  • Empty weight: 29,300 lb (13,290 kg)
  • Max takeoff weight: 70,000 lb (31,751 kg)
  • Length: 63 ft 9.6 in (19.446 m)
  • Wingspan: 42 ft 9.6 in (13.045 m)
  • Height: 18 ft 6 in (5.64 m)
  • Wing area: 608 sq ft (56.5 m2)
  • Empty weight: 31,700 lb (14,379 kg)
  • Max takeoff weight: 81,000 lb (36,741 kg)

in terms of length and wingspan its slightly larger than an F-16, making some people believe its supposed to be a light fighter
but despite all that it weighs closer to a heavy fighter, perhaps with similar operational costs too.
for that reason I've never really considered the F-35 anything but light.. its on the heavy end of a "medium" (Typhoon, Hornet, Fulcrum, Rafale) and may even be the Hi-end of a Hi-Lo fleet.

Not much of a problem, I guess...

And with a future potential order from Romania that will replace it's MiG-21 fleet the future for the F-35s orders in Europe looks very promising.

Definitively, the stealth void in the middle of Western Europe is not going to be that... stealthy.

iu

Last edited:

I wonder if they'll eventually get 100 (One on one replacement for the F/A-18A/B)?
The Program of Record has Australia planning 100. They currently have 72 formally ordered with the last of these due in 2023. Whether they get the remaining ones will depend upon multiple things including developments such as the MQ-28. That said, it should be noted that even the 72 will provide a significant upgrade over the F/A-18A/Bs not only in terms of physical platform capabilities but also in numbers. Remember that the RAAF originally had 75 F/A-18s (4 were subsequently lost and not replaced) but these were a mix of 57 F/A-18As (2 lost) and 18 F/A-18Bs (2 lost). Therefore, when it comes to considering full operational fighters one could argue that we should be comparing 57 (55) F/A-18As to 72 F-35As, a 25 - 30% increase in numbers.

I wonder if they'll eventually get 100 (One on one replacement for the F/A-18A/B)?
The Program of Record has Australia planning 100. They currently have 72 formally ordered with the last of these due in 2023. Whether they get the remaining ones will depend upon multiple things including developments such as the MQ-28. That said, it should be noted that even the 72 will provide a significant upgrade over the F/A-18A/Bs not only in terms of physical platform capabilities but also in numbers. Remember that the RAAF originally had 75 F/A-18s (4 were subsequently lost and not replaced) but these were a mix of 57 F/A-18As (2 lost) and 18 F/A-18Bs (2 lost). Therefore, when it comes to considering full operational fighters one could argue that we should be comparing 57 (55) F/A-18As to 72 F-35As, a 25 - 30% increase in numbers.
The original 100 number was back when it was intended that the F-35 was also to directly replace Australias F-111s (i.e. a one type fleet). Australia then bought Super Hornets as an “interim” F-111 replacement (and “original” Hornet complement) with the stated intention of looking again at the full 100 F-35 buy with an additional 25 (in addition to the main 75 buy) as potential early replacements for the Super Hornets.

Subsequently the Australians also bought F/A-18G Growlers and in that context plus context of intended unmanned “loyal wingmen” etc. a near term increase of the Australian F-35 buy back up to originally intended 100 and/or early replacement of the Super Hornet fleet appears less likely.

Finally saw my 1st F-35 (2-ship) yesterday. Considering I live in Norfolk, near not one but two bases equipped with the things, took you long enough! A not unpleasing sound but [2] pushed up over a residential area to close up (tsk, tsk). The F-15 drivers are more considerate. Newbies! :p

Last edited:

Interesting that the Czech Republic is considering purchasing the F-35 as a replacement for it's Gripen fleet. I did not realise that the Czech Air Force had the Gripen for as long as that, surely the Gripen's still have many hours of flight still left in them.

Interesting that the Czech Republic is considering purchasing the F-35 as a replacement for it's Gripen fleet. I did not realise that the Czech Air Force had the Gripen for as long as that, surely the Gripen's still have many hours of flight still left in them.
Didnt they lease them?

Didnt they lease them?

Ah! thanks for that Fluff, plus any idea as to the cost of the purchase of the F-35 and potential models involved F-35A/B?

Didnt they lease them?
yup leased for 17 years.. time sure flies!
its still strange for me to read headlines like that the Gripen is already being replaced
or the Typhoon being phased out in Austria, etc

Didnt they lease them?
yup leased for 17 years.. time sure flies!
its still strange for me to read headlines like that the Gripen is already being replaced
or the Typhoon being phased out in Austria, etc
Trouble is, as of Feb 24 it became a sellers market, not a buyers market. A lot of people are going to be exercising their options, keeping older aircraft on etc. I'm going to guess that at least in the short term, they have to either keep the Gripen, or take used F16 from USA.

rocaf.png

F-22s for Taiwan is quite the proposal, was this written by Lockheed or an outside think tank/lobby group?

Right, but let's not forget the biggest news of the day ;)

Greece officially put a request for 20 F-35:

While I am sure it won't be prevented, this is still just the start. It has to go through the FMS approval process.

F-22s for Taiwan is quite the proposal, was this written by Lockheed or an outside think tank/lobby group?
You are kidding aren't you?
You posted a presentation that had the companies name blacked out and without any source links for follow up. The Raptors export was banned in the 98 Obey Amendment, so I find odd anyone would ever write about Taiwan acquiring them when the Bush admin refused new F-16s orders to the island.