Lockheed L-1000

Archibald

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Need more infos about this one! Particularly its thrust (saw 2200kgp one day, is it possible?? It was a theorical number, I precise).
Was the prototype tested during WWII (and ready for an eventual use on a fighter)

Accoding to Jay Millers Skunk Works book, L-1000 (XJ-37) was rated at 24,5 kN. However I see that very optimistic considering the fact, that a lot of jet engines in late 40s/early 50s were rated somewhere between 7 and 10 kN.

Only some main parts of L-1000 were built and tested in Menasco company, never a complete engine.

Yep, but I red in Le Fana that the engine had many advanced features for its time (double corps - how the hell do you traduce that in english ?-) an APU and some other things.

!!!!

wow, very optimistic :eek:

I'm going to take a look at Rene Francillon article in Air Enthusiast to get more info...

I admit I have to check my source more precisely. I know were I saw this number (Le Fana de l'aviation, La première generation jets US, november 2001).

Archibald said:
Yep, but I red in Le Fana that the engine had many advanced features for its time (double corps - how the hell do you traduce that in english ?-) an APU and some other things.

Yes, it had. The most perspective was I think axial compressor.

Archibald said:

I believe the English term is "twin spool" and that would make it unique for the time period.

I'm going to take a look at Rene Francillon article in Air Enthusiast to get more info...

The article is from Alain Peletier (sorry) but the expected figure of 5500 lb static thrust is confirmed. Development was transfered to Menasco and later to Curtiss where it was cancelled in 1952. So it seems this program was a failure and 5500 lb was not a realistic target.

Original vintage photo of L-1000
I was always wondering about designation game - L-1000 for first company turbojet...and L-2000 for Mach 3 SST...
Lockheed Horizons, Issue 8

Attachments

• L-1000.jpg
    L-1000.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 104
It was a very unorthodox engine, at least some of the the engine concepts had the forward sections of the low and high-pressure compressor driven by gearboxes or a clutch or something. The design also had provision to spray fuel in between the turbine-blades. I'm pretty sure that idea didn't work too well.

The design ultimately morphed into the XT-35 -- a turboprop engine which was competiting for the contract for the B-52 before it was decided to go with a pure-jet design.

KJ_Lesnick
BTW: By any chance, did the XT-35 become redesignated the XT-45, or were they just competitors? The XT-45 evolved later into the J-57

Am I much mistaken, or is that Kelly Johnson second from left in the pinstriped zoot-suit?