Lockheed GL 136 B-1 Assault Transport tilt wing

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Found a model for a tilt-wing concept on eBay with the inscription "GL 136 B-1 Assault Transport Lockheed Aircraft Corp. Georgia Division Marietta, Georgia." Seller identifies this model as a late-1950s or early-1960s concept.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Airplane-Lockheed-Prototype-Concept-Desk-Display-Model_W0QQitemZ170365888797QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27aa99291d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Attachments

• !B(bH2dQBGk~$(KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlu15ZBKcLZqlGIQ~~_3[1].jpg
    !B(bH2dQBGk~$(KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlu15ZBKcLZqlGIQ~~_3[1].jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 226
  • !B(bIELQBmk~$(KGrHgoOKjQEjlLmQu1cBKcL,g0Inw~~_3[1].jpg
    !B(bIELQBmk~$(KGrHgoOKjQEjlLmQu1cBKcL,g0Inw~~_3[1].jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 65
  • !B(bI!6!B2k~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLm,etkBKcL,TJ1vQ~~_3[1].jpg
    !B(bI!6!B2k~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLm,etkBKcL,TJ1vQ~~_3[1].jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 53
  • !B(bH-uQB2k~$(KGrHgoOKjYEjlLmS1ctBKcL,Kf6q!~~_3[1].jpg
    !B(bH-uQB2k~$(KGrHgoOKjYEjlLmS1ctBKcL,Kf6q!~~_3[1].jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 161
  • !B(bH8rQBGk~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLmbku,BKcL,CcVbQ~~_3[1].jpg
    !B(bH8rQBGk~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLmbku,BKcL,CcVbQ~~_3[1].jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 172
  • !B(bH6sgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-DsEjlLl)w!eBKcLZ7E3tw~~_3[1].jpg
    !B(bH6sgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-DsEjlLl)w!eBKcLZ7E3tw~~_3[1].jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 175
  • !B(bH4YgB2k~$(KGrHgoH-CQEkJ5gdrdhBKcLZypRy!~~_3[1].jpg
    !B(bH4YgB2k~$(KGrHgoH-CQEkJ5gdrdhBKcLZypRy!~~_3[1].jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 183
Additional Lockheed GL 136 B-1 Assault Transport tilt wing.

Attachments

• !B(bIGqg!mk~$(KGrHgoH-D0EjlLlt1SHBKcL,qlRzg~~_3[1].jpg
    !B(bIGqg!mk~$(KGrHgoH-D0EjlLlt1SHBKcL,qlRzg~~_3[1].jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 51
  • !B(bIJu!!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EEEjlLl)LvtBKcL,2Nmgw~~_3[1].jpg
    !B(bIJu!!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EEEjlLl)LvtBKcL,2Nmgw~~_3[1].jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 71
  • !B(bILzwBGk~$(KGrHgoOKkMEjlLmYg(TBKcL,-bnqw~~_3[1].jpg
    !B(bILzwBGk~$(KGrHgoOKkMEjlLmYg(TBKcL,-bnqw~~_3[1].jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 59
  • !B(bINyQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-D0EjlLlyn79BKcLbEvmrQ~~_3[1].jpg
    !B(bINyQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-D0EjlLlyn79BKcLbEvmrQ~~_3[1].jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for posting this. I started a subsection of my blog devoted to "found on eBay," (http://up-ship.com/blog/?cat=36) covering aircraft & spacecraft project stuff that shows up on eBay. That is quite often the only source for information on certain projects, and I figured it aughtta be recorded for posterity.

Orionblamblam said:
Thanks for posting this. I started a subsection of my blog devoted to "found on eBay," (http://up-ship.com/blog/?cat=36) covering aircraft & spacecraft project stuff that shows up on eBay. That is quite often the only source for information on certain projects, and I figured it aughtta be recorded for posterity.

You're welcome. I have been reading the Unwanted Blog for quite a while including the "Found on eBay" section. You, and other members of Secret Projects, are very good with actively monitoring eBay for models and artwork of unbuilt projects. I was afraid that a thread had already been created for this model and it's nice to contribute something that was previously unknown.

Orionblamblam said:

...Make sure you save all images locally, Scott. eBay is notorious for purging lots that have been long closed.

OM said:
...Make sure you save all images locally, Scott. eBay is notorious for purging lots that have been long closed.

That's what I'm doing, and for exactly that reason. The images on my blog are actually hosted on the server... wherever *that* is. With backups here at palatial Casa Del Orionblamblam, of course.

Too many nifty things were going through eBay and then vanishing. An eBay forum *might* be worth considering here at SP, as well.

Nice!

VTOL or just super-STOL? and what's with the weird dorsal fairing?

Cheers, Woody

Judging the fairings and especially the objects at the wing tips (I at first thought to
be tip tanks), it looks as being intended as an amphibium/flying boat ?

Maybe, but could well be the lodgings for the wheeltrain (like in the G-222). BTW, I think I've seen this project in Interavia. Will check.

Jemiba said:
Judging the fairings and especially the objects at the wing tips (I at first thought to
be tip tanks), it looks as being intended as an amphibian/flying boat ?

I thought the same when I first saw it!

Regards
Pioneer

The concept resembles very much that of the Saro P.211/1. And if it
was intended for STOL, a stepped auxiliary float would make sense

Attachments

• tank-or-float.JPG
    tank-or-float.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 44
  • Saro_P-211-1.GIF
    Saro_P-211-1.GIF
    73.7 KB · Views: 108
Given the large wingspan, you would probably want floats at the wingtips to stabilise the aircraft upon alighting. The sponsons on the side of the fuselage are not big enough to do this. My guess is the wingtip floats swing down just like in a PBY.

Woody said:
VTOL or just super-STOL? and what's with the weird dorsal fairing?

If you are seriuos about super-STOL, then it might make sense to have an auxiliary blower and duct high pressure air to the flaps and control surfaces to do some boundary layer control (see the case of the US-1 Shin Meiwa). The fairing on top of the wing could be a good position for the blower. If you look towards the back, the dorsal spine has a pair of holes that could be the exhaust for the auxiliary gas turbine used for blowing. This is pure conjecture of my part, of course! ;D

Great find.