Lockheed CL-757 "Dragon Star" VTOL test rig

vstol

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
www.vtol.org
Need help with finding information on this hover rig. This was sent to me by the son of the test pilot, Maj Phil Neale, who was later killed testing the Balzac. Underneath the CL-757 designation, someone wrote "Dragon Star" and drew a caricature of the test rig. I asked Bill Norton, author of the XV-4 Hummingbird book, and he thought it was a test rig for a transport. He writes:

"My father (Major Phil Neale) was apparently flying this thing out at Edwards
AFB in the early 1960's. He was killed on 8 September, 1965 during a test
flight of a Dassault Balzac. Any information you can provide regarding the
CL-757 program, people involved, approximate dates,etc. would be greatly
appreciated."

Boxkite was able to find a reference in http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19680018805_1968018805.pdf on pg 19: "Smith, Fred: CL 757 Flight Test Results. Rept. No. LR 18781 (Contract AF 33(657)-10534), Lockheed-California Co., Apr. 28, 1965."

Can anyone help?

Attachments

• CL-757 Cockpit 2.jpg
    CL-757 Cockpit 2.jpg
    843.9 KB · Views: 298
Here's a scan of NASA SP-116, also available online:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19660015317_1966015317.pdf
On page 198 of the pdf (page 191 in hard copy) is a similar paper; two pages later describes the rig:

"The sketch at the bottom left shows the Lockheed CL-757 flying test vehicle. It has an open framework structure and three J85 engines mounted vertically at each wing tip."

Attachments

• NASA hover rigs.jpg
    NASA hover rigs.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 243
3-View drawing of the Lockheed CL-757, which followed the Lockheed CL-739-1 Phase I VTO Test Bed.

Attachments

• Lockheed CL-757 3-view.jpg
    Lockheed CL-757 3-view.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 242
Excellent!! Can you please provide any more information? The pilot's son is very interested to find out more about it. Thanks!

vstol said:
Excellent!! Can you please provide any more information? Source? The pilot's son is very interested to find out more about it. Thanks!

Lockheed CL-757 project summary:

Attachments

• Lockheed CL-757 txt.png
    Lockheed CL-757 txt.png
    175.4 KB · Views: 208
Thanks everyone, especially vstol! Though I've been a VTOL buff all my life I never came across anything about this prototype, not even a mention... Was it classified?

Cleaned 3 view. 10 secs and single filter needed - Circle-5, glad to explain if you'd like.

Attachments

• Lockheed CL-757 3-view.jpg
    Lockheed CL-757 3-view.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 201
overscan said:
Cleaned 3 view. 10 secs and single filter needed - Circle-5, glad to explain if you'd like.

I was hoping to do it in 5 secs, but let me guess: max contrast?

vstol said:
Here's a scan of NASA SP-116, also available online:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19660015317_1966015317.pdf
On page 198 of the pdf (page 191 in hard copy) is a similar paper; two pages later describes the rig:

"The sketch at the bottom left shows the Lockheed CL-757 flying test vehicle. It has an open framework structure and three J85 engines mounted vertically at each wing tip."

By the way,

I spoke about that aircraft before;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2140.msg70197/highlight,1966015317.html#msg70197

I like to join Stargazer2006 in thanking everyone for all the information/photos/drawings unearthed about the CL-757. Wonderful!
Anyone have an idea when the actual (tethered) flight resting took place. My guess this was in the 1961-1963 period.

Anyone have an idea when the actual (tethered) flight resting took place.

The pilot's son said he tested it at Edwards Air Force Base, CA.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Keep 'em coming! This is great!

circle-5 said:
overscan said:

10 secs included loading the program... :)

I used the "Curves" function - you want to adjust the brightness of the light parts of the picture only. Like so: (this is in GIMP, a free Photoshop-alike)

Attachments

• Curves.jpg
    Curves.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 30
overscan said:
circle-5 said:
overscan said:

10 secs included loading the program... :)

I used the "Curves" function - you want to adjust the brightness of the light parts of the picture only. Like so: (this is in GIMP, a free Photoshop-alike)

Thank you. I have Photoshop and it also has "Curves". Since SPF is not a dirty forum, I'll make sure to clean my future posts!

circle-5 said:
3-View drawing of the Lockheed CL-757, which followed the Lockheed CL-739-1 Phase I VTO Test Bed.

Hi circle-5,

do you have also a drawing of the CL-739?

Thanks Maveric

Another photo, this of Major Phil Neale.

Attachments

• Phil Neale CL 757 small.jpg
    Phil Neale CL 757 small.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 173
What a treasure! :eek: Thanks for posting. :)

Does anyone have an idea what the ladle-shaped device could be for?

Not sure how I missed this before, but I found this in my collection -- a photo of the CL-757 in (tethered) flight. Obviously from a Koku-Fan magazine.

Attachments

• Lockheed hover rig.jpg
    Lockheed hover rig.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 170
Maveric said:
do you have also a drawing of the CL-739?

Here is the topic on the CL-739, with the answer to Maveric's question:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3661.0

Orionblamblam mentions no less than 13 variants for the CL-739, but even then it seems so different a project from the Dragon Star that I find it hard to believe they can be connected in any way... Also we don't have any pictures yet of the CL-739-1 test rig that is said to have preceded the CL-757...