LBSM3 / Aegis ashore

As far as I know, the Aegis radars are too big to be land mobile.
SPY-1 is not land mobile for more reasons than weight, the architecture of the radar doesn't permit folding it up to fit on a trailer. A small SPY-6 family radar could be made road mobile, it would probably look a bit like Ghost Eye in the end.

small SPY-6 family radar could be made road mobile, it would probably look a bit like Ghost Eye in the end.
SPY-6 is built by Raytheon.
Ghostyeye MR is also built by Raytheon.
A larger, trailer-based EASR more optimized for BMD engagement would be... Ghosteye ER?

What about using the THAAD's AN/SPY-2 radar?
In a hypothetical situation where THAAD gets sent to Ukraine? Yes. But it's not very likely. AN/TPY-2 is very expensive and very specialized, the US DOD isn't going to give one up easily.

In a hypothetical situation where THAAD gets sent to Ukraine? Yes. But it's not very likely. AN/TPY-2 is very expensive and very specialized, the US DOD isn't going to give one up easily.

And it's not obvious to me why Ukraine would need one. The ballistic missiles Russia has been using against Ukraine all seem to be in the SRBM class and well within the capability of PAC-3 to counter. THAAD and especially AEGIS Ashore are designed to deal with much longer-ranged missiles. I don't think Iskandar even gets high enough for SM-3 and might even be too low for THAAD.

Where AEGIS Ashore might be handy for Ukraine is if it's deployed on or near to the Black Sea coast and is equipped with SM6s, the SM6 in addition to its primary anti-aircraft role also has a secondary anti-ship role so it could be used against Russia's Black Sea fleet assets.

Where AEGIS Ashore might be handy for Ukraine is if it's deployed on or near to the Black Sea coast and is equipped with SM6s, the SM6 in addition to its primary anti-aircraft role also has a secondary anti-ship role so it could be used against Russia's Black Sea fleet assets.

Then you don't want AEGIS Ashore, you want the Army Typhon (aka Mid-Range Capability) with SM-6 and/or Tomahawk in Mk 70 trailer launchers.

Back
Top Bottom