Last launch and mission of the space shuttle Discovery

Hammer Birchgrove

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Anybody else who saw this? I would have missed it if I didn't have CNN turned on at the right moment.

I heard about some robot that would be in the shuttle; anybody who knows what it's going to be used for?

I watched it, TSR Joe clued me in whilst the 9 minute hold was in place. If not for that, I wouldn't have been aware it was taking place :-[

Its hard to believe its the last flight, I remember, the whole neighborhood in Springs, South Africa, gathered round the TV in our house to watch STS-1 launch on the 12th of April 1981, I was 9 at the time, and was hugely excited at the whole launch, now here we are almost exactly 30 years on, the end of an era.... :-\

cheers

Duncan

Assuming they ever get around to passing it, does anyone know if the budget actually contains the launch money for Atlantis for the extra Shuttle flight June 28?

F-14D said:
Assuming they ever get around to passing it, does anyone know if the budget actually contains the launch money for Atlantis for the extra Shuttle flight June 28?

Endeavour Mission-134 & 3XX* got money approved by Congress
Atlantis Mission-135 & rescue** has not yet approved by Congress (on 25 Feb 2011)
IMHO they will not approve mission because lack of NASA rescue hardware

* Mission 3XX is a rescue missions in this case, its the orbiter Atlantis
**for Mission-135 need soyuz TMA-02M and TMA-03M to get crew back from ISS

Wired_10.jpg

The Space Shuttle Discovery is rolled out of the Vehicle Assembly Building aboard its Mobile Launch Platform at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
[IMAGE CREDIT: Philip Scott Andrews/Wired.com]​

Meh. Good photos spoiled by shooting them in stupid B&W.