La SNECMA, von Zborowski et le Coleoptere

boxkite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Lark gave me the hint:

TMA Editions advertises for the book "La SNECMA, von Zborowski et le Coleoptere" by Jean-Christophe Carbonel. 350 pages with 650 illustrations, but 48 EUROs on the other hand. Has anybody held this book in his hands to write a short review for interested people?

Attachments

• coleoptere-buch.JPG
    coleoptere-buch.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 144
224 pages with 650 illustrations, for 48 EUROs on french book ?!

that very reasonable prise for a french book !
the ISBN 978-2-919231-01-0
http://www.aerostories.org/~aerobiblio/article2989.html
(in french)

hello

as the author maybe I should make my own promotion here !
so here is what is featured :
- a brief history of annular wing before the Coleoptere
- history of the Zborowski design bureau detailing how Zborowski was recruited, what he did in France (missile, aircraft, submarine projects)
- prehistory of the Coleoptere with "alphabet" Coleoptere , 3-engined projects etc....
- history of the C400 ATAR Volant including early ATAR P2 projects (with side cockpit) , C401 and testing of C400 P3 on train
- history of C450 Coleoptere including accounts of all nine flights (illustrated with original period colour photographs of the machine before and after the crash)
- drawings from the C450 instruction manual and drawings from the transport/erector trailer instruction manual
- further developments of Coleoptere by SNECMA including Mach3 interceptor, ground-attack variants, satellite launcher and up to disc-shaped airliners
- books and toys related to the Coleoptere
- foreign projects with annular wings
- an index of all BTZ and SNECMA designs, built and unbuilt, from small missiles to a B47-class 4-engined annular wing bomber (all with full specs when available, original blueprints, photographs of desk models / windtunnel models / real machine)

All this based on original SNECMA and BTZ documents, interviews of surviving development team members and with foreword by Pierre Lhoste (head of the French development team) and Frau Isolde von Zborowski (widow of H. von Zborowski)
I did not count the illustrations but we have around 250 photographs here and a little more than that of original drawings (no redrawing here : what I have published is the real thing, no improved, reconstructed three view drawings so some are detailed, others are not)

I hope a lot of readers will like it

JCC

Monsieur Carbonel, now I'm convinced :) . It sounds very interesting.

Hi!

Thank you for the book's description!
Seems it contains interesting data.
Could you display us some books pages? I hope, it would be great advertisment of the book.

Cheers!

Forgot to say that all captions are bilingual thanks to Mat Irvine.

I'll try to have a few pix of the pages soon. Difficult to choose which are the most interesting to show (especially from the author's point of view!)

JCC

i have to buy this Book
allone for this B47-class 4-engined annular wing bomber picture B)

but Amazon.fr can't find the ISBN number :'(
amazon had be the easy way to get it
now i have to try the livreaero homepage...

I have a feeling you can't find the ISBN number for the simple reason that the book is not out yet. Am I correct about that, Jean-Christophe?

The book is available, but only from a few shops in Paris , it should appear on FNAC and Amazon websites next month.

here are a few sample pages :

COLEO_1.JPG

COLEO_2.JPG

COLEO_4.JPG

COLEO_3.JPG

COLEO_5.JPG

COLEO_6.JPG

Sorry I forgot to photograph any C400 page !

JCC

Hi!

Keep up the great work! This pages looks really nice - I like it :cool:

Could you tell what exact France-based shops ship it world-wide?

Cheers!

Thank you !

You have to see that Artipresse (the publisher) is a one-man operation. This month he first attended the US Nationals and will return in September. So expect a wider distribution in September.

More details:
224 pages
197 black and white photos
50 colour photos
113 blueprints
174 other illustrations (charts , artist impressions, patents ....)

JCC

JC,

One of the long-time mysteries is solved! Now I found the BMW VTOL design from here: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,566.msg4213.html#msg4213

Attachments

• COLEO_5.JPG
    COLEO_5.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 54
on francais
ohh mon dieu, quel fantasique Livre
Monsieur Carbonel, vous a fais le livre de référence sur le Coléoptère

Merci, merci merci beaucoup

in English
my god Wat a book
Mister Carbonel, you made the reference book on French annular wing
my deepest respect, thanks you very much

"the reference book"

not so sure... after writing it, I am quite aware of what the "holes" in the story are...For example I could not link with A. Morel's family so I have no insight from this side (A. Morel is no longuer among us but maybe his family kept his log book ....) but I am still trying...
JCC

OMG this looks awesome! I just ordered it from the link above (http://www.aerostories.org/~aerobiblio/article2989.html) -- it was very straightforward and I don't know any French. Only 5 euros shipping to the US.

got my copy of the Book today

and i run out hymns of praise
that book is delighted full of Von Zborowski, SNECMA and others work
the 197 black and white photos, 50 colour photos, 113 blueprints and 174 other illustrations
blow you away, allot are never befor seen !
only one sad thing on book is: it missing testpilot Auguste Morel account about C-450 and his Log book

my recommendation:
This is THE reference book on annular wing
BUY THIS BOOK !

i think that a english version of book will sell very well too

Does anybody know the fax number of ARTIPRESSE?

Thank you in advance.

boxkite said:
Does anybody know the fax number of ARTIPRESSE?

Thank you in advance.

Despite my efforts I haven't been able to find a fax number for you, sorry. Do they have one, anyway?

I received my copy last week - I agree with Michael Van, this is a terrific book that you'll want to have in your collection if you have any interest in French aviation, the annular wing, or unusual aircraft generally. I think it deserves to win the "Coup de cœur" if it has not already.

Are there any plans to release an English version of this book in the future? I for one would love it.

Regards,

Greg

I placed my order for what looks like a great book through Amazon.fr for delivery to my in-laws in France, though it still says, "Not yet in stock." Will let everyone know how that works out. I am happy to help with any translation issues for the French-challenged if for any reason Jean-Christophe is not available. Cheers, Matthew

American, actually. Overweight and remarkably provincial to boot. :D

Excellent book and the definitive reference for this fascinating chapter in VTOL Tailsitters. I'm glad the author took the time to put this history together while some of its participants are still around to talk about it. Highly recommended.