Kurbala convertible autogyro

Taranov

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I found interesting invention in Central Tank Department (GABTU) fund. From creator of IS fighter, november-december 1943 dated.
151534_original.jpg

Armed autogyro, can be converted to aeromobile with front landing gear drive.
151194_original.jpg

Also can be conveted to snowmobile with front landing gear tracked drive.
151706_original.jpg

Wow, this is an amazing design and wonderful artwork. I presume the role was observation/liason since it seems to have been armed with just a single 12.7mm machine gun. I hope there was a jump seat for that gunner or he would get awfully tired standing for the whole mission! Thanks for sharing, Taranov. Cheers, Matthew

This is truly a wonderful design and an amazing find! Thanks a lot for sharing it.
Am I the only one to think that the tip of the propeller's blades would have come dangerously close to the tube structure?

Just can second the previous speakers, many thanks !

Stargazer2006 said:
Am I the only one to think that the tip of the propeller's blades would have come dangerously close to the tube structure?

Was a thought for me, too, but judging the second picture, the tubing seems to be intended to
double as a safety cage around the prop, so it probably is ok if it fits quite tight.

Great find Taranov,

I found it in a small Russian book,but I can't remember its name now.

I'm a little confused... I don't read a word of Russian, so I can't understand the captions to the posted images, but in the image of the vehicle running along the ground with it's rotors folded, the propeller is shown turning, like an aerosan. Wouldn't this be easier than having the complexity of a driven wheel?

cheers,
Robin.

This seems to be a development of a normal autogyro mechanical pre-rotator but with the option to drive the front wheel or tracks work. The prop is still connected directly to the crankshaft and will turn regardless. The Soviets (and today's Russians) had a lot of experience with air-powered sledges and knew better than anyone its limitations in rough or hilly terrain. The powered treads would have made a lot of sense--like a floatplane water taxiing back to base when overloaded or boxed in by the weather, this autogyro could have motored over land when necessary.

Thanks for that, makes a lot of sense...

cheers,
Robin.

By the way, I said this to Yuri privately, but for everyone, while the timing is a little off, something like this definitely would have made a great addtition to TINTIN IN THE LAND OF THE SOVIETS!

tintin01fruk.jpg

Looking at the drawings with the tracked landing gear, the standing position of the gunner and the origin of those drawings,
being from the "Central Tank Department (GABTU)", I somewhat have the feeling, the gun wasn't intended to be used in
flight only, but the whole design was a kind of "jumping jeep", meant to fight on the ground, too. Is there any indication of
some kind of armour ? Altough, armed jeeps weren't armoured, either...

May be that's right my dear Jemiba,

but how to know if this autogyro armoured or not ?.

hesham said:
but how to know if this autogyro armoured or not ?.

... other drawings, letterings on drawings we have still overlooked, or just were unable to interpret
correctly ?