Kawanishi's alleged "G9K Gunzan" (19-Shi Super Heavy Bomber)

I have seen mentioned, by several trusted posters in this forum, that the terms "19-shi" and "20-shi" were not used. I assume this means that the "-shi" designations were discontinued late in the Pacific War. I haven't seen other mention of this practice elsewhere.

Can anyone point me to the source of that thought? I'm somewhat handicapped in my searches, since I don't read (maybe a smattering) Japanese... This is for my own files/information only.

Thanks and Best Regards, Harry

Hi Snark,

maybe my dear Blackkite can confirm or deny this ?.

Hi!
"「〇〇試」と試作開始年度を関する試製機体名称も十八年度中に廃止されていた。以降は、「試製烈風」 「試製秋水」のように計画時から固有名称を付与する方法に変わっている。"
Translation.
"Experimanral aircraft name such as “00-shi" regarding the development start year was abolished during Showa18(1943).
After this dicision, experimental aircraft name were called such as "experimental reppu", "experimental shusui"."

Source : Reppu and Reppu-kai, Gakken, ISBN4-05-602990-3, January/2004, page168

Of course for example, 20-shi fighter plan existed before abolishment.
And after abolishment, “00-shi" naming system might be used as temporaly naming system unofficially.

Attachments

• GAKKEN_MOOK.jpg
    GAKKEN_MOOK.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 21
  • 02267653_1.jpg
    02267653_1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 290
  • page 168.jpg
    page 168.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 36
Hi Blackkite

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question and for thoughtfully providing this reference! I assume this means that "00-shi" was dropped as part of the prototype designation, but remained as part of the post-1943 development program names.

I really wish more Western publishing houses would reprint some of the great historical information available from Japanese sources. With some notable exceptions (Dyer, Ishiguro, Picarella), I see over & over again the same misinformation concerning IJN and IJA aircraft matters repeated here in the US.

Thanks to sources such as this forum and the goodwill of folks like yourself, it's possible to discover the truth, but it's a lot like searching for small diamonds on an expansive beach... Fortunately, now that I've retired, I have the time to do this.

Highest Regards, Harry

Hi my dear snark-san, if you have any question, please do not hasitate to ask this forum.
I will do my best. I've also retired and have enough free time,too.;)

Hi Blackkite-san

Thanks for your very generous offer! I promise not to abuse it.

Harry