Ka-26 fake

From the way police described it, these were real, functional helicopters being made without licences or inspection and apparently being sold to actual end users in the former Soviet Union

A local report (Google gave a decent translation):

On the other hand there is an information that it was not a factory but magazine and workshop of inventor Jurij Czaban that legally work on innovations and modifications of Ka-26 that he already patented.

So plot thickens.

Mercenary (deniable)?

Or just cheap aircraft with fake paperwork being sold into commercial markets.

I very much doubt that anyone who was trying to build a deniable military capability would want aircraft this shoddy.

What about all those Russian-speaking "volunteers" who "liberated" Crimea from Ukrainian rule?

A lot of that about apparently but denied by da bo55.

Mercenary (deniable)?

Or just cheap aircraft with fake paperwork being sold into commercial markets.
I doubt you could sell something that have only barely any ressemblance with a known type on multiple occasions. Those things fly around places filled with professionals invariably raising suspicions.
Yes, I know, someone sold the Eiffel Tower... Twice.

Those things fly around places filled with professionals invariably raising suspicions.
Valid point if you are thinking of mainstream , mostly Western, places.
Now, if you are flying around, say, Abkhazia, Benghazi, Donbass, Transdnistria, etc things may be slightly different.