JSF vs. Rafale for a Royal Navy future aircraft carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.
KJ_Lesnick said:
The F8U/F-8's guns accounted for a total of 9 kills in Vietnam. The rest were accomplished using Zuni Rockets and AIM-9 Sidewinders...

KJ Lesnick

You know, even after all these years the records are still confused. I cited one source in my previous post and another source I consulted states three pure gun kills, Of course it also cites a different number for total F-8 MiG kills.

Interestingly (according to bluejacket.com), over the entire War the F-8 had an air-to-air victory ratio of 6 to 1, best in the conflict. USN missile-only F-4s, on the other hand, had a "mere" 5.42 (if you only look at the period after the return to the North, the ratio is much higher).

Woody said:
That's exactly what it constitutes. Also having to visually confirm the identity of an enemy is not unusual (or unethical) in which case radar stealth becomes irrelevant and speed and agility become super-relevant (together with really excellent countermeasures).

You're way of target with this. Stealth isn't just about not being detected by radars but making it hard to be detected in other wavelength bandwidths and hard to be tracked and hence targeted.

Even if you are constrained by a lawyer demanding ROEs that specify imagining confirmation advanced radars like AESA can use inverse synthetic aperture arrays to paint an image of an aircraft at distances. It can also data match the ISAR feedback to get a positive target ID before a human eye could recongnise the aircraft.

Also an aircraft with spherical IRST, like the F-35's DAS, and lock on after launch (LOAL) missiles like the AIM-132 and Next Block AIM-9 (like the F-35), can engage without maneuver in WVR combat. So really despite creating a very narrow engagement set it still doesn't support you pre determined outcome of a cool Boydian fighter with energy maneuver to spare.

The level of analysis and comparison that has been going on to develop and define the F-35 is staggering. It may not be nicely presented in a simple to understand one stop format that its opponents like to through around but it is out there. This aircraft, the F-35, will wipe the floor with everything else, including the F-22. Its why countries who know their stuff - the IAF! - are lining up to get onboard.

>>This aircraft, the F-35, will wipe the floor with everything else, including the F-22.<<

Any sources for your assertion? This is a new one on me. I was under the impression
from numerous readings that even LockMart and the USAF say that the F-22 is the
superior aircraft in air-to-air engagements. After all, it is what the F-22 was designed
to do. Exactly why is the F-35 supposedly superior? DAS? ???

>>Its why countries who know their stuff - the IAF! - are lining up to get onboard.<<

Well, some countries (i.e., Australia, Japan) are possibly choosing the F-35 because
they cannot have the F-22.

Cheers!

WOODY,

Once again, I have no idea where you get the impression that f-35's agility sucks or that it sacrificed speed and agility for avionics. We know nothing of its speed and agility yet. Was it because of the DAS video? The video, for the sake of just featuring some new toy for the f-35, make the aircraft look like it doesn't have to maneuver to win a fight. Nothing indicates that it can't and won't maneuver.

ı like the F-8u , think it did well , but ı think the 9 kills might be 9 engagements in which guns were fired . The Zuni kill , ı remember as a combination of gunfire and rockets .I thought only one USN A-4 had a rocket kill . The USN Phantom rate is increased by the 24 or so kills versus 2 lost in 1972 , otherwise it would have been much closer to USAF rate which should be hovering around 2.8 . No refutation , just to increase the ratio of things ı tell true .

and that avatar pic of F-14D is just so good . Any chance of seeing it bigger ?

as my very first idea in this thread was that the F-35 will not fight for THK while it might perform creditably for ,say RN , ı feel discussion of Vietnam isn't that much off . While ı am by now somewhat famous for straying , it makes some sense when one considers the politicians and their military/intelligence advisors' propensity for chest thumping in support of their grand ideas .

vietnam has its roots in the American Administration's belief that the opposition could be cowed , scared , forced into submission by mere shows of force or defeated by the undisputed American might . And the Vietnamese have had the misfortune of defeating the French in Dien Bien Phu . Just like Afghanistan had the stigma of defeating the Soviet Union and Americans had to make it a priority to knock out the "unconquerable" Mucahedeen to make an impression , which incidentally worked and thousands of Muslims out of Afghanistan are alive because of the fall of the Taleban , Hanoi was destined to get a beating .American morale ,shall we say , was sky high ;unfortunately this was after the American "victory" in Cuba . An event not properly defined ; it is actually a show of force against Chinese who at that particular day were attacking the Indians in the Himalayas , with all the B-52s loaded . The Russians were on the defensive for the most of the Cold War , at least according to them , and their missiles on Cuba were simply a ploy to get American missiles out of their periphery . They would have won that hand ,with diplomacy behind closed doors but the Kennedy Administration made it sound like the end of the world so Moscow still won though Khruschev lost .

there was no way United States could wage an unrestricted war against North Vietnam as it would have meant they were really serious about being anti-Communists , which would have implied equally serious measures taken by the Communists . And it was only because Hanoi could not "surrender" that the war escalated . One of the problems with being a bully is that if somebody gets away with resisting you , your reputation will suffer and you won't be able to bully others . And it is the tragedy of Johnson and McNamara that they had to micromanage the war for , if left to the military , it would have become a really serious thing . Curtis Lemay was thrown out for a reason as he had actually desired a nuclear war when he had the B-47s and Russians had ,let me see , Yaks . It is one thing to quarrel over the carcasses of European colonial empires , it is another to face each other in battlefield in a fight to the bitter end , which might have come in the form of a mushroom . ı say tragedy because they actually didn't want it and could hardly talk about it as the avalanche of memoirs would drown them . Especially military tend to be ruthless even when they are equally in it . Jack Broughton might rail against mismanagement , ı don't know , ı haven't read his book , but the strafing of the Russian freighter and the subsequent disciplining of pilots not for the attack but destroying evidence shows to me that it was an act ordered by Washington to discourage Moscow from supporting Hanoi . If not , the penalty would have been dishonourable discharge and jail . ı think .

the restrictions were meant to keep the thing under control . It is might be hard for American pilots to wait for the Migs to come up , but is it the reason for failure in the war ? If so , how are we going to explain Korea , where they waited for the Migs to come down ? But then , penetrating Manchuria to get the Migs over their airfields was the norm after ' 52 or so . And the first air to air engagement of the Vietnam war was against the Chinese . As for SAM sites ı remember reading the SA-2 was somewhat mobile as it could move from one prepared site to an other , but the Vietnamese had probably a thousand of these sites for -as General Momyer relates- 80 to 180 ready to fire missiles .Taking out construction crews might have been a military target , maybe . Unfortunately for the Americans they were also involved in bombing transport nodes and mountain passes , causing a bomb shortage . These attacks are generally regarded as "gravel production" but ı would say they were suggested by air minded officers . ı don't think the Vietnamese had to opportunity to adequately defend or observe the Thud Ridge or face the Americans over the Tonkin Gulf and as the priority targets were concentrated in Route Pack 6 there was no need or place to fly diversions .Israelis did superlatively well with tactical feints in a similarly restricted area against similar Russian equipment and they did fight actual Russians . American aerial phalanxes could and did defend themselves even where they were as regular as train timetables .

debateable and checking my files at home , ı discover ı have been mistaken in claiming a wingman for Toon on the 10th. As the North Vietnamese never actually claimed him or a 13 kill ace , it appears to me that he is actually an American invention and not a mistaken assumption that combined two or more pilots and their names . A colonel comparable in experience to General Olds might only mean a Russian with a solid WW2 story , which was definitely not the case .My general mood in this post seems to suggest there were people in American services desiring to "enlarge" the conflicts and they would twist the reality , a claim unsupported by anybody else. From ACIG.org an illustration but no kind of support for what ı am saying :

Mysterious MiG: this is a reconstruction of the MiG-21 #2, clearly seen by Maj. Roger Locher from a range of barely 300ft when it almost collided with Oyster 1 during the engagement on the morning of 10 May 1972. In the following moments, Maj. Lodge turned behind this MiG in an attempt to shot it down, in turn exposing the tail of his aircraft to four J-6s that were approaching from the other side. Maj. Lodge did not survive the mission to tell the story, but in an interview for the Red Baron report, Maj. Locher recalled that this MiG wore a blue serial 53 and had its cockpit trimmed in blue. While the last detail is exceptionally unusual - then, there is no pictorial evidence of any MiG-21s of any air force being ever painted this way - the serial was probably applied in this manner, clearly indicating the origin of the aircraft: the USSR. If the pilot was Soviet remains unclear. Surely enough, a closer research about the Vietnamese reports about air battles over North Vietnam usually do not mention any kind of operations flown by foreign pilots. For many observers, this indicated that no foreign pilots have ever flown missions for the North Vietnamese air force, except perhaps one or two. In fact, however, in 2002 the North Koreans openly admitted their pilots to have flown for the SRVAF in the 1960s. A similar confirmation from the USSR-archieves is still not appearing.

Attachments

• srvaf_mig-21mf_53_921_sao_do.jpg
    srvaf_mig-21mf_53_921_sao_do.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 28
ı have read , ı think from a different topic in the same site , that around 240 Russians served as advisors in North Vietnam. One or two died in combat , from injuries sustained in training flights . Although ı have also seen it mentioned that there is a claim of a Russian ace and Victor Belenko book by Barron definitely suggests they were in combat , ı would doubt it . ı have also been confounded by this colour coding of Migs .Red was the Mig-17 and blue was the Fishbed , ı know ; think black signified one on bingo fuel . Does anyone know the full list and is it possible to be posted here ? ı had this theory that Blue meant something significant and the claim by Locher would be a nice proof to it ; it would be hard for a flight rated person to mistake colours from 100 m. While my finds in the web has taken much of the wind out of it , would blue mean Russian crewed ? Were Lodge / Locher team involved in special hunts for foreigners in theater , taking great risks as their low level night pursuit of a Mig-21 in 1970 or 71 proves ? Or were they "enlargers" ? Did USN force Cunningham to report their last fight in a somewhat twisted version , so that while no other report of a Mig-17 serialled 4xxx exists in NVN service , Cunningham tells flying vertically upwards canopy to canopy so that he could see the guy in question was definitely Oriental .Horizontally , no fighter pilot would believe that two planes would remain in formation long enough for an identification that is so definite . ı have never flown but what ı have read tends to support the notion that it is possible for pilots to see a lot with just one glimpse . But Showtime 100 spent a lot of time in company with the Mig ;the climb of 8000 feet as told by Cunningham would have taken 16 seconds for a 150 m/sec climb rate , which should be the ball park number for Phantoms . It is a maneouvre that should be impossible for the Fresco as far as what ı understand from what ı read but "nobody had told this to Toon." and the whole thing ends in very movie-like with that throttling down in mid-air . Was McKeown , the TopGun commander when the Cunnigham/Driscoll team was there as instructors , very angry with them because they wanted the Medal of Honour instead of what they were getting , threatening to rip their "tits" off or was it because they were telling the stuff at the bar ? Was it because Adm. Zumwalt had actually ordered an end to myths so that Americans could come home ? Did the intelligence officers aboard USS Consellation tell Showtime 100 members what to tell , did they spice up the aces' story ?

ı rant , ı stray , ı claim , ı live in dreamland , but ı do , from time to time , read serious things . So a former CIA member has written that it is the fault of Turkey that one division had to be transferred from the North to South as we refused at the last moment and caught at sea ; the outnumbered Americans had the watch the loot of Baghdad and Al-Qaida massing in Musul , adding 2 years to the war in Iraq . This is from the guys whose forebears killed 45 000 people through the Phoenix Project yet failed to capture -dead or alive- one Occidental serving in Vietnamese ranks . Yet the "stories" abounded .

their beliefs seem to suggest it is only American public opinion that matters.

ı think F-35 will be okay unless it is in THK service and this is my reasoning . Valid or not or at least outdated , it is up to minds saner than mine to decide . Not exactly the same post ı lost , but the gist is the same .

been out for work for years , hence no more tax responsibility .So , ı am not even paying for them , the Lightning IIs .

r16 said:
ı like the F-8u , think it did well , but ı think the 9 kills might be 9 engagements in which guns were fired . The Zuni kill , ı remember as a combination of gunfire and rockets .I thought only one USN A-4 had a rocket kill . The USN Phantom rate is increased by the 24 or so kills versus 2 lost in 1972 , otherwise it would have been much closer to USAF rate which should be hovering around 2.8 . No refutation , just to increase the ratio of things ı tell true .

and that avatar pic of F-14D is just so good . Any chance of seeing it bigger ?

Chances are pretty good

Attachments

• F14fulload3.gif
    F14fulload3.gif
    268.9 KB · Views: 48
shivering said:
Any sources for your assertion? This is a new one on me. I was under the impression
from numerous readings that even LockMart and the USAF say that the F-22 is the
superior aircraft in air-to-air engagements. After all, it is what the F-22 was designed
to do. Exactly why is the F-35 supposedly superior? DAS?

Sources... Lots...

The USAF has been pushing the line of the F-22 being better for ATA because they have been wanting to keep the production line open. With modern tactics and network centric operations the F-22 is at a severe disadvantage to the F-35. For one it lacks Link 16, not to mention next decades Link 22, so can't share data without the Iranians reading it with AWACS and other sensors.

The F-35 will have access to all this information, its own superior onboard information gathering, far superior processing and HMI and plenty of fuel and missiles to burn and in the 2020s the next generation of weapons (HEL, two stage hypersonic missiles). The machine coded F-22 will be lumbering around the sky at medium range from base with 13 minutes of Mach 1.5 not knowing what's going on and with old weapons because there aren't any programmers to update its systems.

In equal WVR engagement DAS and LOAL will give the F-35 the edge over every other aircraft. It will also give it a game changing capability in unequal WVRs when it is at a disadvantage. Like the USN Super Hornet that got the F-22 in its gunsight. Against the F-35 it would have to eat a missile down the throat before it could do that.

shivering said:
Well, some countries (i.e., Australia, Japan) are possibly choosing the F-35 because
they cannot have the F-22.

I can't speak for Japan but Australia is absolutely not in that column. There is no professional requirement for the F-22. There is a vocal group of wanna-bees pushing a demand for the F-22 but they have no input into the actual decision, which was made six years ago and constantly reinforced.

Abraham Gubler said:
In equal WVR engagement DAS and LOAL will give the F-35 the edge over every other aircraft. It will also give it a game changing capability in unequal WVRs when it is at a disadvantage. Like the USN Super Hornet that got the F-22 in its gunsight. Against the F-35 it would have to eat a missile down the throat before it could do that.

Although this may be a bit off-topic, although it does concern the F-35, do you have any further information on this SH/F-22 encounter. I am aware that an F-22 was "shot down", by an AIM-9 "launched" by an F-16 a while back, because he came down and tried to duke it out. This illustrates the folly of close-in sustained maneuvering air combat. You give up all the advantages you paid for. This would be a further illustration if in fact an F-22 decided to do a gunfight with a SH. The F-22 is better than the SH at everything in air combat, but close-in anything can happen. . In fact, the USN freely admitted that the SH would not be as good in this realm as the two a/c it was replacing. So, if a SH got an F-22 in its gunsight that means he gave up his supercruise, superior sensors, ability to sit up at 60,000 feet and shoot down, etc. to get close in.

F-22 will have LOAL, BTW, that's a function of the missile more than the launching a/c. What it will not have is HMS (which F-35 does), because there is apparently some noteworthy integration problems with that system and the Raptor. This is significant because HMS will let other a/c match the capability conferred on the F-22 by thrust vectoring.

Well I heard that the SH vs F-22 was BFM with the F-22 starting off in a disadvantaged position rather than at the merge but this might be just F-22 boosters trying to talk it out of getting shot down. If you look at the HUD the SH is going pretty slow Mach 0.36 which would imply they've done some ACM to get to that position and speed. The F-22 with an inexperienced pilot does have a problem with over using its sustained 28 degree a second turn rate and using TVC for post stall maneuvering. TVC causes a lot of drag and while they can still control the plane it starts to sink. The arse end drops and the other fighter can go vertical because the TVC plane can't do that.

Attachments

• F18FGUNF_2202.jpg
    F18FGUNF_2202.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 25
I think it's understandable for the f-22 to "lose." Remember that practice for the f-22 is always against overwhelming odds, with the f-22 put in positions with tremendously disadvantages and against overwhelming number of enemy aircrafts (like 12 against 40 or something), and the fact that it could mass killed these enemies in these practices said alot.

So, the LOAL system allows you to fire the missle, then as the missile races out, you then can get a lock, and the missile then homes on the target?

Is this the system that allows you to just fly into the battle, fire your missiles and race away while the missiles then home on their targets while the place races away?

KJ

donnage99 said:
I think it's understandable for the f-22 to "lose." Remember that practice for the f-22 is always against overwhelming odds, with the f-22 put in positions with tremendously disadvantages and against overwhelming number of enemy aircrafts (like 12 against 40 or something), and the fact that it could mass killed these enemies in these practices said alot.

Its not the real practice of the F-22, its the public relations hype. I don't think there are many real world situations when F-22s or other western fighters can expect to go up against threats at more than 1 on 1 or even 2 on 1.

Also in western force on force training its very rare to have to fight outnumbered. The F-22 vs SH would have been a 1-4 on 1-4.

What it does show is that if in a knife fight the man in the cockpit and the tactics are the most important issues as long as you're in a remotely competitive platform. The key lesson is stay out of knife fights.

KJ_Lesnick said:
So, the LOAL system allows you to fire the missle, then as the missile races out, you then can get a lock, and the missile then homes on the target?

Is this the system that allows you to just fly into the battle, fire your missiles and race away while the missiles then home on their targets while the place races away?

The key element is the DAS. Anyone can shoot ASRAAMs into their rear sphere and hope an enemy fighter happens to enter the missiles field of view for a LOAL kill, but you will probably throw away a lot of missiles and no achieve much. DAS tracks the threat and tells the LOAL missile where its going to be so it flies direct to it and gathers it very quickly into its field of view of a lock on.

Abraham Gubler said:
donnage99 said:

Its not the real practice of the F-22, its the public relations hype. I don't think there are many real world situations when F-22s or other western fighters can expect to go up against threats at more than 1 on 1 or even 2 on 1.

Also in western force on force training its very rare to have to fight outnumbered. The F-22 vs SH would have been a 1-4 on 1-4.

What it does show is that if in a knife fight the man in the cockpit and the tactics are the most important issues as long as you're in a remotely competitive platform. The key lesson is stay out of knife fights.
So those air force pilots lied to us? Damn! ;D They said that due to f-22's tremendous advantages, going "realistically" become too easy for the purpose of training, so they put it up in scenarios like that . But wasn't the ATF program meant to create a fighter that would overcome overwhelming numbers of enemy aircrafts (I remember 1-10 from a northrop interview during the prototype competition phrase).

KJ_Lesnick said:

KJ

Actually, to describe it more precisely, it means that a missile can be launched without actually having locked on the target prior to launch, and then in flight acquires the target either autonomously or having it "pointed out" post launch. The ability to not have to stay pointed at a target during missile flight is "fire and forget", which may or may not be associated with LOAL.

To give an example, an AIM-9 in the port bay of an F-22 will not be able to "see" targets to starboard. The Raptor must maneuver so that the seeker head can acquire the target, lock on and then launch. With later versions of AIM-9X, the Raptor could acquire the target with its radar, launch the AIM-9, and using the one way datalink direct the AIM-9 in flight to where it could acquire the target itself.

Alternatively, a HMS (which Raptor doesn't have) could be used on an aircraft to point the seeker while the missile's view is blocked by the fuselage/wing of the launching aircraft, so that when the missile clears the "shadow", it's already looking where the target is and locks on.

BTW, AIM-120 always could function in LOAL mode.

well may be we should invite the red flag aggressor pilot who has been making waves on you tube . I think he'll pretty much settle this JSF vs Rafale issue. ;D

however don't count on him to get the names of the engine makers right or indeed the origin of the radar for that matter.

well may be we should invite the red flag aggressor pilot who has been making waves on you tube . I think he'll pretty much settle this JSF vs Rafale issue. ;D

however don't count on him to get the names of the engine makers right or indeed the origin of the radar for that matter.

Got the link?

Cheers, Woody

Ho, Hum... The Indian Uber Alles counter-attack begins!

Most defence professional's get wrong the names of the various minutiae of defence equipment. You're actually considered weird if you can name of the top of your head the engine and radar brands in each and every aircraft.

This does not invalidate this insight into the FLANKER, F-22 and WVR combat, thought I'm sure plenty of amateurs out there with preconceived opinions that differ will try. Rather but they should actually learn something from this, the importance of working networks and stealth and how the IAF knows this and wants this kind of platform.

Anyone pedaling conspiracy theories is usually ill informed or a fool.

You win man . ;)
No more red flag for this Indian. :p

Only white flag! white flag! ;D

Abraham Gubler said:
Well I heard that the SH vs F-22 was BFM with the F-22 starting off in a disadvantaged position rather than at the merge but this might be just F-22 boosters trying to talk it out of getting shot down. If you look at the HUD the SH is going pretty slow Mach 0.36 which would imply they've done some ACM to get to that position and speed. The F-22 with an inexperienced pilot does have a problem with over using its sustained 28 degree a second turn rate and using TVC for post stall maneuvering. TVC causes a lot of drag and while they can still control the plane it starts to sink. The arse end drops and the other fighter can go vertical because the TVC plane can't do that.

What you're seeing here, in my opinion, is the problem with getting into a sustained maneuvering fight. The SH is very good at low speed high AoA, which is one of the reasons it may want to be down to M0.36. The F-22, though, is better than the SH in everything related to air combat. However, by getting into this kind of a furball, it has thrown all of its advantages away, and the outcome becomes more problematic. Since it is likely that the F-22, or more relevantly the F-35, will be outnumbered by its adversaries, doing this is a invitation to suicide. The F-35, while certain to be agile (though probably not as much as Raptor or Typhoon) will fight a different way, if employed properly, a way that is more realistic in today's world. Frankly, so will Rafale if it intends to accomplish its mission. Given this, and realizing the missions it will have to perform, F-35 is the better choice for the RN provided

1. It meets its promises (you can't at this point assume it won't)

2. Is deliverable when the UK needs it

3. The UK gets clearance to perform the maintenance it needs to do and the independent weapons integration it requires.

Damn you all for flooding my email with your indian red flag notifications ;D

The reason of today aircraft to be agile is to be able to point its nose toward enemy aircraft to shoot (the main reason of having thrust vectoring) as quickly as possible, due to the tremendous advance in missiles (and undoubtly will continue to advance). However, no matter how maneuverable an aircraft, it certainly isn't as maneuverable as the pilot's neck to point and shoot. HMD takes advantages of the pilot's flexible head. And HMD is at its best with system like DAS. If the missiles live up to its promises by the time F-35 comes out, and function properly with the DAS system, the f-35 will be the guy who hands down have the first look/first shot/first kill in the turning of a dogfight. And in this aspect, not even the f-22 can overcome the f-35. The reason for the f-22 to hold supremacy is its more powerful radar and stealthier airframe that will give its first look, and supercruise to extend its missile range for first shot/first kill in BVR.

saved the Tomcat picture , thanks for it .

Regarding aggressors , they play as they are told by their commanders , it is a training exercise after all ; though ı am not aware of the exact content . Simplistic view from a simpleton that has read that in the '80s TopGun students would time to time fight F4-Us , slow speed fighting is not exactly relevant to today's and future aircombat , it is unlikely to happen unless if truly a matching peer can challenge the West and even then it will be a niche point as the Westerners would avoid attacking then .

r16 said:
saved the Tomcat picture , thanks for it .

Regarding aggressors , they play as they are told by their commanders , it is a training exercise after all ; though ı am not aware of the exact content . Simplistic view from a simpleton that has read that in the '80s TopGun students would time to time fight F4-Us , slow speed fighting is not exactly relevant to today's and future aircombat , it is unlikely to happen unless if truly a matching peer can challenge the West and even then it will be a niche point as the Westerners would avoid attacking then .

What the slower speeds often buy you is the ability to change direction ( or at least point the nose) rapidly and in the minimum space. Of course, if it doesn't work, there you are needing a lot of energy to get back up to be able to engage. Now, HMS and high off-boresight, extremely agile close in missiles are going to change the equation.

Abraham Gubler,

So, the DAS is what allows the plane fitted with LOAL to fly into a battle, shoot the missiles, and the missiles just home on the target even if behind the plane, while the fighter races away?

donnage99,

And HMD is at its best with system like DAS. If the missiles live up to its promises by the time F-35 comes out, and function properly with the DAS system, the f-35 will be the guy who hands down have the first look/first shot/first kill in the turning of a dogfight. And in this aspect, not even the f-22 can overcome the f-35.

Kind of makes me wonder what the point of the F-22 is... strikes me as a waste of money.

The reason for the f-22 to hold supremacy is its more powerful radar and stealthier airframe that will give its first look, and supercruise to extend its missile range for first shot/first kill in BVR.

So it's like the F-22 Raptor is the F-4 Phantom of the 21st Century... only good for long-range stuff.

BTW: The airplane's launch speed significantly increases the maximum range of the missile?

To answer the last question of kJ: Yes, the speed of the aircraft when launch the missile does significantly effect its range and also its lethality (fly faster, harder for enemy to respond). Also, the f-22's higher altitude also significantly increases the missile's range.

F-22's role is air supremacy. Battles now a day are determined at BVR, and rarely (unless you choose to enter a dogfight), if not at all, in traditional dogfight (there's opposition in the air force to scrap the 2 short range missiles during its development). And with f-22, giving up all the advantages it has to enter a dogfight is just foolish. It's the same thing with a guy who's a sniper gives up both his hiding position and rifle to enter a fist fight with his opponent who only has a knife.

Though of course, the f-22's knife is still bigger and sharper than the other guys's, but giving up your rifle that would garantee your victory to enter a fight that anything could happen is foolish. I think in a dogfight for f-22 (if any actually happens in real world combat): if opponent is right in front flying toward it, its supercruise will gives its short range missile first shot first kill; if it's behind f-22, then f-22 simply outrun it before it get close and turn around and shoot it. In either case, the f-22 will be in higher altitude, which will gives tremendous advantage in dogfight also.

KJ_Lesnick said:
So, the DAS is what allows the plane fitted with LOAL to fly into a battle, shoot the missiles, and the missiles just home on the target even if behind the plane, while the fighter races away?

In short, yes. The missile has to have a LOAL (lock on after launch) capability and the DAS provides a spherical tracking capability to feed information to the missile to send it in the right direction and update it via data link while it is doing the 180 degree maneuver in case the target changes its vector during that time. As F-14D pointed out you can do this with a radar and LOAL not just DAS, its all about providing more of a field of view than the pilot's HUD (for older aircraft) or HMD (for current aircraft) and the field of view of the missile seeker which is for the ASRAAM 90 degrees to either side of the boresight (60 degrees for the ARCHER/R-73). It also enables you to launch the WVR missile from within a weapons bay without holding the missile in the slipstream so the seeker can lock on before launch as in the F-22's two Sidewinder weapon's bays.

KJ_Lesnick said:
Kind of makes me wonder what the point of the F-22 is... strikes me as a waste of money.

With the benefit of hindsight in a situation where USAF has a few hundred F-35s in service (which hasn't happened yet), maybe you're be right. But the F-22 is an aircraft in production now, that developed a lot of useful technology during its program and was also meant to be a shared technology program with the RAH-66 (no F-22, no RAH-66) which up until the time the RAH-66 was canceled made the F-22 pretty important for the US Army.

KJ_Lesnick said:
So it's like the F-22 Raptor is the F-4 Phantom of the 21st Century... only good for long-range stuff.

Nope, not at all. This is where so many people get into trouble where they try and find a simplistic historic example. You can't par down a complex situation to a simple explanation unless you are an absolute genius or an idiot.

KJ_Lesnick said:
BTW: The airplane's launch speed significantly increases the maximum range of the missile?

The missile will launch with the vector of the launching aircraft. So if it is at Mach 1.5 the missile is at Mach 1.5 before its own motor starts. If the launcher is a Mach 0.3 then so is the missile. Obviously this will have an affect on the maximum speed and hence range achieved by the missile as long as its vector is roughly the same as the launcher. Altitude also plays a role.

There are a few disingenuous arguments out there that the F-22 will be higher and faster than the F-35 therefore its weapon's will fly further. This is crapola. For one speed at weapon's launch is limited by the tolerances of the launching system. JDAMs have only been tested up to a launch velocity of Mach 1.3. The other point is as long as the launcher is in a situation to plan its launch - and stealth aircraft with huge situational awareness like the F-22 and F-35 should be - it can accelerate and climb to the best launching velocity and altitude before launch.

I second Abraham Gubler there on f-4 comment. Though I didn't know how to put it in words (can't possibly explain the specific complexity and irrelevance due to both my limited knowledge and laziness), but you put it down a universal theme in a short statement. Good job!

the Phantom is underrated as a combat aircraft , in a similar ratio to its being overrated before bloodied in battle . In Vietnam it lacked proper support .If it had flown defensively with radar coverage and CGI it would have a much higher success ratio . Israeli experience tends to support this .In the attack they didn't do good , being on attack missions they lost heavily to interceptors .In the initial Arab attack in 1973 , one pilot shot down 13 Migs in two days .

F-14D said:
I'm afraid that I must disagree with you particularly on the primary role of the fixed wings on the RN's decks. The primary reason for any carrier's existence is strike And the weapon it uses for that strike is its aircraft. Air defense of the carrier (which can also be handled by supporting ships) exists in order to permit more strikes. If the primary reason for embarked aircraft is air defense, well then just sail out of range of any opponent and you accomplish the same goal, with a lot less hassle. of course, your enemy forces are left intact... Air defense is important, but if the carrier doesn't exist to strike, then why does it exist?

Am I wrong or did you just say air superiority isn't necessary at sea? Well, I don't know what to say to that.

In the meantime here's the Red Flag critique, courtesy of Flight:-

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2008/11/usaf-pilot-describes-iaf-su30m.html

And no, I'm not getting testy - if you could see me you'd see the smile on my face.... the rye smile.

Cheers, Woody

Wow this thread is too long. IT would take wayyy to long to read this all but it does seem like some very odd assumptions are being made here.

Now if memory serves ASRAAM is possessed of a datalink for midcourse update and targeting matched with strapdown INS, no need there for the seeker to 'see' the target prior to launch. Which makes it a much more attractive option for the JSF. Currently to the last I heard or read, ASRAAM integration is about one of the few weapons guarenteed for the UK's buy.

Supercruise with weapons internal presents a far better LO profile than with weapons external.
Nor do I see where people get the idea the JSF is more limited in payload than the Rafale.

Woody said:
F-14D said:
I'm afraid that I must disagree with you particularly on the primary role of the fixed wings on the RN's decks. The primary reason for any carrier's existence is strike And the weapon it uses for that strike is its aircraft. Air defense of the carrier (which can also be handled by supporting ships) exists in order to permit more strikes. If the primary reason for embarked aircraft is air defense, well then just sail out of range of any opponent and you accomplish the same goal, with a lot less hassle. of course, your enemy forces are left intact... Air defense is important, but if the carrier doesn't exist to strike, then why does it exist?

Am I wrong or did you just say air superiority isn't necessary at sea? Well, I don't know what to say to that.

I think his point was that it was meaningless by itself, air superiority exists in order to permit you to do something else, which is almost always striking the opponent.

This thread has gone a bit off the rail, so to speak, but one point to make is that JSF with internal ASRAAM, even two, is going to clobber any Flanker it comes up against (whatever Carlo Kopp says on JSF, although he likes ASRAAM - http://www.ausairpower.net/API-ASRAAM-Analysis.html).

The RN have a reason for insisting ASRAAM is integrated. Basically, stealth, situational awareness, and a fast, all round targettable, long legged, passive missile are more than a match for radar guided MRAAMs launched from some lump of metallic right angles radiating Kilowatts of electrons and IR energy. Rafale could never offer this.

And before the replies start, note that RAND are well known for having some very bright, and very wrong (and now unemployed http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2008/10/infamous-jsf-report-precedes-a.html), analysts, as their recent war game with China showed. Recent postings on Flightglobal about SU-30MKI vs. F-15s tells a more realistic story (http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2008/11/usaf-pilot-describes-iaf-su30m.html).

At least on the bright side the F-35 seems to be designed in such a way so if another country's F-35 came up against our F-22's, we could just neutralize it -- at least R16 suggested that the plane's datalinks and possibly even some of it's radar/sensor/weapons capability could be disabled from a distance.

That's a relief

KJ_Lesnick said:
At least on the bright side the F-35 seems to be designed in such a way so if another country's F-35 came up against our F-22's, we could just neutralize it -- at least R16 suggested that the plane's datalinks and possibly even some of it's radar/sensor/weapons capability could be disabled from a distance.

That's crazy. Just some more counter-knowledge thrown into the anti-F-35 diatribe.

bristolfighter said:
The RN have a reason for insisting ASRAAM is integrated. Basically, stealth, situational awareness, and a fast, all round targettable, long legged, passive missile are more than a match for radar guided MRAAMs launched from some lump of metallic right angles radiating Kilowatts of electrons and IR energy. Rafale could never offer this.

Its not about 'insisting' ASRAAM is integrated but paying for it. The notorious cost cutting of the UK MoD is likely to result in ASRAAM integration not being paid for. Fortunately the Americans are developing a LOAL version of the AIM-9X.

ASRAAM integration is clearly one of the few things we can be certain about, it makes no sense to keep current stocks of ASRAAM and Sidewinder. The choice over which is to be run down is clear and already made.

There is still however some question over AMRAAM verses Meteor, but if Meteor is proceeded with for Typhoon, again the choice is made for the RN.

As for shutting down F35's in flight, nice idea, but counterproductive if its revealed as true or even merely believed by potential customers.

I'm not sure the Rafale production line will be open to fit the RN's timetable and the likely delays in any order don't help. Besides which history clearly shows the UK is more likely to operate with the Americans and other JSF users in warfighting operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.