Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System (JSTARS) Recapitalization

This seems to be a proposal based off of the Gulfstream G550. I hope it might help.

On a tangent:

E-8 (JSTARS)(4)($106.5)

Wait, why are they retiring E-8 JSTARS ?? Are they crazy ? C-130s, A-10s, F-16s and F-15s are plentiful but JSTARS ?? I thought they were as scarce and useful as AWACS, what did I missed ? a successor ?
They've got their F-35s.

The Air Force is still trying to salvage ABMS, despite great scepticism in Congress:

Might these throw a spanner in the works?

I can already hear the bickering between the Army and Airforce if this deal goes ahead.

Last edited:
The US Army already has the ARTEMIS so these will basically work alongside that on similar ISR missions if this goes through. It could also be a company owned offering.

The US Army already has the ARTEMIS so these will basically work alongside that on similar ISR missions if this goes through. It could also be a company owned offering.

They just started testing ARES, same sensor package on the Global 6000/6500 airframe. Possibly these are destined to be rebuilt to that standard?

Some ABMS, JSTARS, AWACS replacement discussion at the end. Some controversial discussion about defense against FOBS as well. Appears the Russians are working on as well. Once again the need to boost phase intercept...IMHO needs to be pre-boost.

E-6 retirement gets a bit more irreversible:

The layoffs are a result of the U.S. Air Force’s decision to retire the Joint STARS fleet, he said.

”That was a pretty big chunk of the work we did here,” Krull said.

Joint STARS aircraft are used by the military in surveillance of moving targets on the ground, but the fleet is expected to be retired in the mid 2020′s and will not be replaced, according to Military.com. The military is working to move to new surveillance systems.

The fleet will be in service through 2024, Krull said.