JDRADM

F-14D

I really did change my personal text
Reaction score
At my own suggestion, I'd like to start this topic (and maybe have some of the last posts from A/FX on JDRADM copied here?). I didn't put under "Missiles", because hopefully JDRADM won't become an "Unbuilt Project". :)

MODIFIED

I'd like to open with a question: Unless I've been misreading, there have been a number of posts stating that JDRADM will be replacing both AIM-120 and AIM-9X. Personally, I've always understood that it would replace AIM-120, offering greater range, agility and expanded no-escape zone, and AGM-88. Doing some web and printed document research, I've been unable to find much beyond speculation regarding AIM-9X replacement. The Air Force Research Lab slide "JDRADM Operational Vision" from the A/FX thread, http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2150.0;attach=83525;image mentions all-aspect and helmet cueing/displays, but that would be a capability useful not just for AIM-9X roles, so that's not definitive Now, AIM-9X is just now coming into full deployment, and there are still some important programs for which AIM-9X integration is still under development (F-35, AH-1Z. etc.). Since production of JDRADM is supposed to start in 2017, assuming it actually gets funded in the upcoming climate, that seems awful close to be developing a whole new successor, not to mention that JDRADM will be considerably larger (if nothing else to get large enough warhead on it for its air-to-ground role).

So my question is, where are there references that JDRADM is specifically intended to replace AIM-9X as well?

For A2G it does not have to get larger. One of the technologies in it's development is a focused warhead. This would allow it to be more effective in it's role.

As I have posted before, 2010 will be the big year in JDRADM info.

SpudmanWP said:
For A2G it does not have to get larger. One of the technologies in it's development is a focused warhead. This would allow it to be more effective in it's role.

As I have posted before, 2010 will be the big year in JDRADM info.

2010 will also be a big hurdle in seeing whether or not the program is going to continue. The next one, of course when it'll be time for production money to come forth, the traditional point where politicians' enthusiastic and heartfelt support tends to evaporate.

Focused warhead or not, wouldn't the warhead have to be larger than that of AIM-9X, ASRAAM, etc. simply because you're hitting a "harder" target?

From flightglobal, a look at the JDRADM mock ups.

First peek at Raytheon's next air dominance missile
by: Steven Trimble

Raytheon has offered the first peek into the company's approach to designing a next generation missile to replace both the AIM-120 AMRAAM and AGM-88 HARM.

For the first time, the company has displayed a full-scale mock-up of one of several candidates being considered for the emerging US Air Force requirement for a dual role air dominance missile (DRADM).

The design shown at the Air Warfare Sympsoium on 16-17 February features an AMRAAM-like missile body integrated with what appears to be a variable flow ducted rocket (VFDR), or ramjet.

Full article here: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2011/02/photos-first-peek-at-raytheons.html

Was researching this and other missile related programs and came across a few articles.

US Air Force Eyes Flight of Ramjet Missile

https://www.scribd.com/doc/261559180/US-Air-Force-Eyes-Flight-of-Ramjet-Missile

Ramjet BVRAAM Used in Gulf War Combat

https://www.scribd.com/doc/261556288/Ramjet-BVRAAM-Used-in-Gulf-War-Combat

Attachments

• AFRL_VFDR.jpg
    AFRL_VFDR.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 294
  • JDRADM.jpg
    JDRADM.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 299
I'd think if there was anything to it we'd have heard more by now.

I guess we'll never know for sure.

From what is known the first VFDR at Aerojet (ARC) was tested for the AMRAAM around 1997 so if the above story is true it must have been a liquid ramjet or some different OEM perhaps doing the work.

From Flight International (G Warwick, Feb 2004)

In 1997, ARC completed ground tests of a flight-weight, 180mm (7in)-diameter VFDR to power a proposed extended-range version of the AIM-120 AMRAAM air-to-air missile. Now Aerojet is producing a 355mm-diameter VFDR to power Orbital Sciences' GQM-136A Coyote supersonic sea-skimming target, and a 255mm-diameter version for the US Navy's High-Speed Anti-Radiation Demonstration missile, with twice the range and two to three times the average velocity of the AGM-88 HARM anti-radar missile.

Attachments

• Aerojet_VFDR.jpg
    Aerojet_VFDR.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 223