JAXA next-gen SST

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Hi please enjoy next generation SST design scanned from JAXA's paper. It's performance is as follows.
1. Cruising speed : mach 1.6-2.0
2. range : 10,190km+
3. passengers : 300
4. MTOW : 400ton
5. L/D : 9.5-10.5@mach2.0
Skybolt we are waiting for your new post which is Boeing's blended wing body SST. I believe KJ,too.

Attachments

• next generation sst.jpg
    next generation sst.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 549
Blackkite,

1.) I'd say it's a bit too heavy for it's range and passenger capacity for my taste, although it's L/D ratio figures are quite impressive.

2.) I actually know very little on Boeing's blended-wing SST...

KJ Lesnick

Hi KJ! Fine? I'm fine.Yes it's heavy but range is so so. Weight is never ending problem for all flying object. Near future I want to visit JAXA and find some information about this project.

Looks like there's going to be a good bit of lift contributed by the fuselage.

However, there have been Japanese Government SST projects going back to the 70's - none have come to fruition. All I can say is, looks like a nice paper project.

Starviking

p.s. Shouldn't the thread title be "JAXA next-gen SST"? ???

blackkite said:
Hi KJ! Fine? I'm fine.Yes it's heavy but range is so so. Weight is never ending problem for all flying object. Near future I want to visit JAXA and find some information about this project.

I know weight is a constant problem with aircraft as a rule. But there have been many paper supersonic airliners, some which had greater speed (2.4 to 2.7 at least), that actually weighed at least 50,000 lbs less.

Examples:
-Boeing 2707-300 - Estimates were 635,000 lbs to 750,000 lbs, cruise speed was Mach 2.7
-NASA HSCT Baseline: 738,000 lbs, cruise speed Mach 2.4, range 5,700 nm, with the ability to go to 6,500 IIRC

KJ Lesnick

Concerning this design, I realize following items.
1.It has no horizontal tail stabilizer which contribute to good L/D same as NASA S4T ssbj.
2.Engines are installed over the fuselage between vertical stabilizers to shield engine noise.
3.The wing has rather high aspect ratio, it has good efficiency.
4.Supersonic area rule combined with LEX applied to the fuselage.

Hi! 7Th of September this year, I will visit JAXA open house and search some information of this design.

P.S I find elevator tail of this plane. My worry for pitch control is disappeared.

Hi! JAXA's gliding test plane to verify SST designing technology. It was launched by rocket in 2005 Australia, reached mach2.7 altitude almost 20km and measured aerodymanical data at mach2.

Attachments

• jaxa sst model4.jpg
    jaxa sst model4.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 86
  • jaxa sst model3.jpg
    jaxa sst model3.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 58
  • jaxa sst model2.jpg
    jaxa sst model2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 368
  • jaxa sst model1.jpg
    jaxa sst model1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 397
  • jaxa sst model0.jpg
    jaxa sst model0.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 415
  • jaxa sst model test.jpg
    jaxa sst model test.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 429
This cranked arrow wing is natural laminar flow wing designed by computer. Warp of wing root is very clear. Last 2 pictures are biplane SST design to reduce sonic boom developed by Tohoku university and JAXA. NASA and JAXA begin joint corroboration for sonic boom modeling this year.

Attachments

• misora2.jpg
    misora2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 116
  • misora1.jpg
    misora1.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 138
  • jaxa sst model8.jpg
    jaxa sst model8.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 66
  • jaxa sst model7.jpg
    jaxa sst model7.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 76
  • jaxa sst model6.jpg
    jaxa sst model6.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 74
  • jaxa sst model5.jpg
    jaxa sst model5.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 76
Biplane SST is a really weird stuff! I like it so much!

Hi! Next picture of biplane SST MISORA(Mitigated SOnic-boom Research Airplane).

Attachments

• MISORA3.jpg
    MISORA3.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 111
  • SHOCK1.jpg
    SHOCK1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 902
  • SHOCK2.jpg
    SHOCK2.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 904
Didn't Lockheed do research on this concept as well? IIRC there was an artist's concept shown in Flight International of a Lockheed supersonic flying wing that used simlar design concepts to mitigate sonic boom and reduce drag

Here it is head-on. And, yes, Lockheed did look at something similar. This link:

http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/2000/2000-1%20-%200998.pdf

is from Hesham's post at:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2623.0/highlight,lockheed+qsp.html

I think there is a patent somewhere explaining the Lockheed configuration...

Attachments

• Misora head-on.jpg
    Misora head-on.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 100
Here's a link to a Tohoku University pdf on the thing:

http://www.ifs.tohoku.ac.jp/edge/publications/ifs-biplane.pdf

Here's what it says - not that it helps much:

SILENT SUPERSONIC TRANSPORT

Future Airplane Friendly to Environment

Since the airplane appeared, one hundred years passed. The airplane has become important transportation to support our life. In the future, its role is only expected to grow, as we seek for faster, safer, more comfortable and environmentally friendly airplanes. We research future aircraft concepts.

Breakthrough concept
A new theory that significantly reduces shock waves for supersonic transport (SST) has been established by Prof. Kusunose’s group at Tohoku University under the 21st Century COE Program. The theory introduces a second wing nearly parallel to the conventional wing.

An aircraft flying at supersonic speed creates the shock waves, which are basically compressed air. It might be helpful, for example, to imagine water waves generated at the bow of a moving ship. When these shock waves reach the ground, it will be heard as a noisy explosion (sonic boom). This is one of the fundamental problems preventing commercial aircrafts from supersonic flight. The new theory, which makes use of biplane concept, proves that the interaction between the two wings cancels the strong shock waves generated during supersonic flight.

Although this theory was originally proposed in the 1930s by Adolf Busemann, no supersonic aircraft was available at that time. We verified that the biplane configuration reduces shock wave effects felt on the ground by 85%.

Vision for our century
The airplane of the future should offer safe, fast and comfortable transport to everyone. Although modern airplanes take approximately 12 hours to go from Tokyo to New York, the new SST might fly the same distance in half the time. Quick transportation of people and goods around the world would bring a considerable impact on economy, too.

Health problems of passengers are also an important issue in these days. With the new SST, deep-vein thrombosis after long flights will be eliminated, because the flight time is significantly reduced. Everyone from small children to elderly people would be comfortable.

Innovative ideas are needed for the realization of new SST’s. We study the biplane concept to develop the airplane of the future.

Don't you just love the web...?

1 - MISORA - aka MItegated SOnic-boom Research Airplane - "is the honorific name of SKY in Japanese".

2 - here's a TV clip of the looney inventor himself (Japanese with English subtitles)!

http://www.tohoku100-tv.jp/e/thisweek/070827/index.html

Sek and ye shall...oh, never mind. Here's that Lockheed patent.

http://tinyurl.com/5cc3mb

Attachments

• Lockheed SST.JPG
    Lockheed SST.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 247
That biplane seems kind of weird. From all the papers I've read, you can't really get lift out of a busemann biplane AND have no ground shock. Well, one paper said you could get (almost) no shock on the ground but then you'd have a configuration with negative lift. Doesn't sound such a good idea.

According to professor Ohbayashi's paper, this biplane generate lift and has good efficiency at design speed mach2. But this wing also has choke problem and need some mechanism to avoid choke. Professor Ohbayashi discovered this problem using super computer analysis. When normal fuselage combined with this wing, fuselage generate sonic boom so cabin must locate over the wing. It's not easy to realize this concept.

Attachments

• lift.jpg
    lift.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Sonic boom.jpg
    Sonic boom.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Cd.jpg
    Cd.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 184
  • avoidance.jpg
    avoidance.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 188
Hi! Double hull ship and MISORA 3-view pictures. Double hull ship picture clearly shows low wave making resistance characteristic of this shape. Sorry for low quality.

Attachments

• double hull ship.jpg
    double hull ship.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 77
  • MISORA 3VIEW.jpg
    MISORA 3VIEW.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 107
Although it is superfluous to say so, for Japanese, MISORA means 'Hibari Misora', an exceptionally talented popular music singer. She died in 1987(52 years old). American jazz player Anthony Braxton praised her very much. 'Hibari' means sky lark and 'Misora' means beautiful sky. She sang judo song 'YAWARA'. MISORA is very easy name to remember for Japanese.

Attachments

• Hibari_Misora.jpg
    Hibari_Misora.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 671
  • hibari.jpg
    hibari.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 36
It reminded me somehow of the picture in the NASA publication "Sonic Boom Research. NASA SP-147, edited by A. R. Seebass", more specifically in the paper at the end "A boomless wing configuration". That configuration is analyzed in detail and it is concluded that:

An aerodynamic configuration designed to achieve lift with no boom by affecting only air above the configuration was found to give a second-order lift using a first-order theory. The configuration does not result in lift using any higher order theory and the reason is shown to be due to the asymmetry of the curve for pressure versus property angle for isentropic flows.

Upon looking into that paper again, I now realize Ohbayashi's configuration doesn't look exactly the same but rather seems at mitigating the sonic boom at ground level, not eliminating it at all.

I just wonder how boarding procedure would look like for (passenger) MISORA...and think that this would be one of solid reasons to think of...

Simon666! Many thanks for good report. I will study. Flateric! Yes I think so. Existing boarding bridges are not applied to MISSORA. We will go on board MISORA from third floor or fourth floor of the airport. Emergency escape is also little problem.

Hi! I met MISORA developping member in AEROSPACE JAPAN 2008 in YOKOHAMA city Japan yesterday.He taught me following information.
1.If this wing has large swept angle, shock wave interference between upper and under wing for low sonic boom does not occur.(So it is difficult to use large swept delta wing which allow long cabin to reduce drag.)
2.Full model wind tunnel test has not been conducting.
3.Flying test using supersonic glider is planned between Tohoku university and JAXA.
4.They are worrying about this draggy short cabin and thinking to combine this wing with normal long fuselage. (Extend this cabin to after direction?)
5.Wing span is 80m and length is 20m.
6.Cruising speed : Mach1.7
7.Passengers : 100

Attachments

• MISORA FRONT.jpg
    MISORA FRONT.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 76
  • MISORA PICTURE.jpg
    MISORA PICTURE.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 93
Also they are worrying about choke and studying to avoid this problem.

Attachments

• japan aerospace 2008 053.jpg
    japan aerospace 2008 053.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 91
Hi! Japan Aircraft Development Corporation's SST model in JAPAN AEROSPACE 2008.(Designed by JADC, Mitsubishi, Kawasaki & Fuji)
1.Cruising speed : Mach 1.6
2.Range : 6,000n.m
3.Passengers : 226(3 class)
4.MTOW : 350ton
5.Engine : non afterburning turbojet 83,150lb each
6.Length : 78.6m
7.wing span : 43.0m

Attachments

• JADC SST1.jpg
    JADC SST1.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 125
Second picture of JADC's SST model. The enginner of JADC told me that sonic boom is still problem.

Attachments

• JADC SST2.jpg
    JADC SST2.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 222
Hi! Fuselage breadth is 4.2m(13.78feet). Cruising speed Mach 1.6 is same as F-22 and F-23. MISORA is Mach 1.7. It seems that Mach 1.6-1.7 is good speed for non-afterburnig supersonic cruise. JADC's engineer said that Mach1.6 is good for aircraft material.

blackkite said:
Hi! Fuselage breadth is 4.2m(13.78feet).

That´s... comfortable. About the Tu-114 width. 25 cm wider than A320. 44 cm wider than B737. 47 cm wider than DC-8.

In FAR and JAR countries, single aisle planes are restricted to no seat more than two seats from an aisle. Otherwise, 420 cm might allow rather more decent 7 abreast 3-4 seating than the Channel Airways Tridents.

Hi! JAXA's supersonic flying test bed for low noise & low sonic boom design method verification in 2008 AEROSPACE JAPAN.

Attachments

• JAXA FLYING MODEL.jpg
    JAXA FLYING MODEL.jpg
    720 KB · Views: 243
Hi! Flying test plan of this plane.

Attachments

• JAXA FLYING TEST PLAN.jpg
    JAXA FLYING TEST PLAN.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 167
Second picture of this model.

Attachments

• JAXA FLYING TEST BED MODEL.jpg
    JAXA FLYING TEST BED MODEL.jpg
    749 KB · Views: 165
Any idea if this model or tests are related to JAXA ??

more here: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ktbmwm3/GALLERY/gallery.html?fid=0&p=2

Deino ???

Attachments

• F-15J + ac-model 3.jpg
    F-15J + ac-model 3.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 150
One thing to note is that it's carried by an F-15; Japanese F-15s do not have a sea search radar which is why you usually see sea skimmers on their F-4s and F-2s.