Japanese guided torpedo

Did the IJN ever get close to a true guided torpedo?
The Germans used magnetic ones, the allies developed an airborne small ASW "Mine"

I've just read that the Germans delivered a few G7e torpedoes in 1942 which the IJN intended to use for further development but navweaps did not state if they got anywhere near to make a domestic one as manpower issues killed the project.

Last edited:
Did the IJN ever get close to a true guided torpedo?

Yes. Reports of the U.S. Naval Technical Mission To Japan (1945 – 1946): O-01-1; Japanese Torpedoes and Tubes – Article 1, Ship and Kaiten Torpedoes, mention two passive acoustic homing system for Type 92 electric torpedo. One just compared the level of noise from hydrophones to determine the direction on target; the second compared phase shift between hydrophones. The first one was planned to be used against enemy shipment, the second one - against enemy submarines. Both projects show promise, but the noise problems and lack of time led to them being abandoned in 1944.

Also, IJN suggested other concepts, like guiding torpedo with narrow sonic beam from the ship, or using water-penetrating radio waves, but they were only theoretical proposals.

That picture and 'report'. I assume it's the result of American occupation guys, beer, and too much time on their hands.

Magnet influence and light detection was being investigated for use in warhead exploders/pistols to initiate close-aboard explosion of the main charge, not as a detector employed to guide the torpedo to target. Development of a self homing, guided weapons in that period relied on sonic phenomena only, or some over-the top patriot riding the thing to oblivion.

You want guided torpedoes? I got your torpedoes right here!

David

Hi, following the subject of the Japanese special torpedoes, especially the Anti-sub circling torpedoes Kurai 6 and 7.the opinions are not fixed, in fact they diverge.the famous American reports mission to japan 45-46 present Completely different drawings .In truth we have three configurations with two kurai 7, "such as they were described " in Ishiguro and Januszewski book's another important point which remains unexplained for me in the US reports torpedoes appear without horizontal fins,but in the book the horizontal fins appear .An opinion please

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg