Jane's AFV Recognition Handbooks by Christopher Foss.

JohnR

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Does anyone know what has happened to these books, I've got them going back to the early 90's; but I've seen nothing new for years. Have they been discontinued or have I been looking in the wrong places (Amazon, Abe Books, Waterstones, et al). I know that you can find most things online, but I'm a bit reactionary and like a book in my hand. If they have been discontinued can anyone recommend a replacement.

Regards.

Those were in fact discontinued a while back due to sales. I *think* the only physical books we still publish are the giant volumes like Fighting Ships, but I could be wrong. The small guides did get axed, though.

Thanks for the info; I thought as much, the last one I got was 2006 I think. Unless I win the lottery, the big ones are out of my price range until they are well out of date.

Libraries have not held the titles for a couple of decades now and the price is eye watering. I get the feeling they went for the professional market only in the search for profits which are themselves probably eye watering by now. The individuals like us are no more than an embarrassment for them from my experience, even the very old data is protected to the hilt.

My local library used to stock the 'full' Fighting Ships, Aircraft an Armour and Artillery in the reference section. Armour and Artillery disappeared years ago, Aircraft haven't been renewed since 2010 and Fighting Ships since 2012. It's a symbol of the total deterioration of our library service, branches have been closed all over the borough including a beautiful one that was donated by Carnegie - that was sold to a property developer.

Sorry - I removed uK75's post. It looks suspiciously like a link to malware to me. I'll check it out when I get home.

Sorry about that. Here is the link to getting an offline old fashioned version
The most recent edition is from 2011. The German publishers are supposed to be doing a new one but like its naval equivalent (Weyers Flottentaschenbuch) it has been delayed by lack of advertisers.