• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Izumo Conversion to a Full Scale Carrier

1Big Rich

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Website
www.tapatalk.com
I've found this short news article about a possible conversion of the Izumo class Helicopter Carriers erm Destroyers..... into full scale Carriers / Light Carriers:

The model shows an extended angled flight deck and two catapults for F-35 Lightning II fighters and E-2 Hawkeye EW aircrafts.
Does anybody know more about this proposal?

The company General Atomics is an exiting American energetic and defence company:

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

ex-PFC Slayden

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I believe the fighter aircraft on deck are F-35C, not the F-35B noted in the article. Their wings and tails are longer. If this plan came to fruition, it would mean Japan would operate all three versions of the F-35.

JohnR

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
How large is the hangar on the Izumo? Also as they were evolved from the Hyuga why was the MK41 VLS deleted, that would suggested the long term aim was to convert them to full aircraft carrier all along?

TomS

Reaction score
I've found this short news article about a possible conversion of the Izumo class Helicopter Carriers erm Destroyers..... into full scale Carriers / Light Carriers:
2606874_original-1.jpg

The model shows an extended angled flight deck and two catapults for F-35 Lightning II fighters and E-2 Hawkeye EW aircrafts.
Does anybody know more about this proposal?

The company General Atomics is an exiting American energetic and defence company:

We had a thread before: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/jmsdf-22ddh.14116/#post-371122

It's a General Atomics concept done without necessarily having access to the Izumo design. It would entail basically cutting the ship down to the hangar deck and starting over.

TomS

Reaction score
I believe the fighter aircraft on deck are F-35C, not the F-35B noted in the article. Their wings and tails are longer. If this plan came to fruition, it would mean Japan would operate all three versions of the F-35.

Also, the text on the slide says "F-35C." :) That would only make sense, because the sketch is intended for showing off the General Atomics electromagnetic catapults, which the B model can't use. But this idea doesn't seem to have any real traction, and it's not something the JMSDF are seriously interested in.

If you're talking about the Military Leak article in English, that talks about F-35B because Japan has ordered those and confirmed that the Izumos will be modified to support them. (article)

Tzoli

Reaction score
Artist impression of the Izumo with Ski-Jump:
The artist written it's a hypothetical drawing but I'm not so sure it would not look like this with a real ski-jump or if no such project proposed even in the preliminary phase

Last edited: