Itoh Aircraft and Projects

Hi, blackkite!

Thank you for EMI-3 3-view. But this 3-view absolutely contradicts to the data in Mikesh-Abe book. If the length is 7,27 m, the wingspan, according to the scheme, is less than 11 m, not 15,4, mentioned in the book

Could you, please, comment it?

Also, the data on the picture with EMI-2 plan-view (Lwing = 11,5 m, L = 6,65 m) corresponds not to EMI-2, but to EMI-1.
In Mikesh-Abe book the EMI-1 wingspan is equal to 9 m only.

Don't you know the correct length of EMI-2?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
You are sharp eyed guy.
Great point. There is a conflict between the drawing and the numerical data.
We need to verify what is correct.

Last edited:
Thanks for those new discoveries, Blackkite-san. I had never heard about them.
A question though: I get confused with names and dates: Tsurubane-1 flew in 1919 and Tsurubane-2 in 1912 ?
Or should it be 1922 for Tsurubane-2 ?

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/attachments/the-ito-emi-2-plan-view-jpg.638831/
This three side view is for Emi-2 but specification in this drawing is for Emi-1 as you said. I don't know why.

About Emi-1, I think there are no conflict between the drawing and the numerical data.(Span : 11.5m, Length : 6.65m)

About Emi-3, I think if the span is 15,41m, the length is 10.3m according to the the three side view drawing.
If the length is 7.27m, the span is 10.9m as you said. I believe in three side view drawing because it was made by very accurate Yukio Suzuki.

According to the three side view drawing, Emi-2's span is 11.5m, length is 7.2m.

Last edited:
Hi Blackkite, I'm wondering if you have an image of the Itoh modified aircraft J-BALD? It was a Sopwith Cuckoo torpedoplane that was modified by Itoh into a two-seater and powered by a 200 hp Hispano Suiza V8 engine? Taking a look at the Itoh lists you posted, in the third list the aircraft Itoh 29 Taihoku-Go appears to be it, although the dimensions are a tad smaller than that of a service Cuckoo, but it was modified from the original military standard in that the original Cuckoo was a single-seater. Japanese Cuckoos were powered by Wolesley Viper engines, but the Itoh aircraft had this replaced by the Hisso previously mentioned. (The Viper was a British built version of the Hisso engine, but without the Hisso's recurring problems).

An image of a Japanese Cuckoo at Kasumigaura, supplied with the 1921 British Naval Mission.

Attachments

• Japanese Cuckoo 2.jpg
    Japanese Cuckoo 2.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for those new discoveries, Blackkite-san. I had never heard about them.
A question though: I get confused with names and dates: Tsurubane-1 flew in 1919 and Tsurubane-2 in 1912 ?
Or should it be 1922 for Tsurubane-2 ?
Tsurubane-1 completed date was 1918 and Tsurubane-2 complete date was 1919.

Hi Blackkite, I'm wondering if you have an image of the Itoh modified aircraft J-BALD? It was a Sopwith Cuckoo torpedoplane that was modified by Itoh into a two-seater and powered by a 200 hp Hispano Suiza V8 engine? Taking a look at the Itoh lists you posted, in the third list the aircraft Itoh 29 Taihoku-Go appears to be it, although the dimensions are a tad smaller than that of a service Cuckoo, but it was modified from the original military standard in that the original Cuckoo was a single-seater. Japanese Cuckoos were powered by Wolesley Viper engines, but the Itoh aircraft had this replaced by the Hisso previously mentioned. (The Viper was a British built version of the Hisso engine, but without the Hisso's recurring problems).

An image of a Japanese Cuckoo at Kasumigaura, supplied with the 1921 British Naval Mission.
According to ENCYCLOPEDIA OF JAPANESE AIRCRAFT VOL.8, the Itoh 29 Taihoku-go Passenger-plane was a domestic design.

Attachments

• Itoh 29 Taihoku-go.jpg
    Itoh 29 Taihoku-go.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 41
  • The Ito 29 Taihoku-go Passenger-plane.jpg
    The Ito 29 Taihoku-go Passenger-plane.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 87-2.jpg
    87-2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 39

Attachments

• BGyuBkb.gif
    BGyuBkb.gif
    27.2 KB · Views: 31
  • J1ygFuX.jpg
    J1ygFuX.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 32
Japanese Navy Air Force operated 6 Sopwith Cuckoo II. It is a single-seat torpedo bomber aircraft powered
by a 200 hp Wolseley Viper piston engine. They were numbered J. N. 310 to J. N. 316.

Yes, I know this, I have done considerable research into the Cuckoo. I wrote the Database article for Aeroplane Monthly magazine back in 2016 on the type. Thanks for the Itoh 29 reference, that confirms that J-BALD is not listed among the aircraft in those lists you supplied.

From the Sopwith Cuckoo Database in April 2016 Aeroplane Monthly:

"One Japanese Cuckoo was operated as a civil transport aircraft, registered as J-BALD in 1927. Modified by the fitting of a 22 hp Hispano Suiza 8BE engine - bringing the type’s powerplant development full circle - and a second seat aft of the cockpit by Itoh Hikoki Kenkyusho, or Itoh Aeroplane Research Studio, the aircraft could carry a 50 kg load and according to official records was capable of aerobatics. Having produced a line of indigenous designs since 1915, at the time J-BALD was modified, Itoh was engaged in modifying ex-service aeroplanes for civilian uses, including for passenger and cargo transport and glider towing. Issued a Certificate of Airworthiness in December 1927, a M. Fujimori took over ownership of J-BALD in January 1928, although its civilian service was short lived, its registration being cancelled in July that year. J-BALD is thought to have been the only Cuckoo to have seen civilian service."

Oops, sorry Blackkite, that should be a 220 HP Hispano Suiza 8BE, not 22 HP engine!

Hi! Three side view drawing.
Source : ENCYCLOPEDIA OF JAPANESE AIRCRAFT VOL.8

Attachments

• The Ito Emi 50 Sport plane.jpg
    The Ito Emi 50 Sport plane.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
Hi! The Ito Emi 14 Long Range Aeroplane. I will add the specification of this aircraft later.
Source : ENCYCLOPEDIA OF JAPANESE AIRCRAFT.

Attachments

• The Ito Emi 14 Long Range Aeroplane.jpg
    The Ito Emi 14 Long Range Aeroplane.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 伊藤恵美14型長距離機.JPG
    伊藤恵美14型長距離機.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 43

Attachments

• The Ito 22 Yamagatakinen-go Long-range Aeroplane.jpg
    The Ito 22 Yamagatakinen-go Long-range Aeroplane.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 29
  • PIC1.jpg
    PIC1.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 28
  • PIC2.jpg
    PIC2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • AHA-MA-008-005-004.jpg
    AHA-MA-008-005-004.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 20
  • AHA-MA-008-005-005.jpg
    AHA-MA-008-005-005.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 19
  • AHA-MA-008-005-006.jpg
    AHA-MA-008-005-006.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
From Putnam's book,and nothing is new as usual in this thread ?!.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.png
    2.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.png
    3.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 4.png
    4.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 21

Attachments

• The Ito 24 No1 Akita-go Long-range Aeroplane three side view drawing.jpg
    The Ito 24 No1 Akita-go Long-range Aeroplane three side view drawing.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 30
  • The Ito 24 No1 Akita-go Long-range Aeroplane.jpg
    The Ito 24 No1 Akita-go Long-range Aeroplane.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • AHA-MA-001-011-003.jpg
    AHA-MA-001-011-003.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hi! The Ito 31 Flying boat.
Source : Encyclopedia of japanese aircraft.

Attachments

• The Ito 31 Flying boat pic2.jpg
    The Ito 31 Flying boat pic2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • The Ito 31 Flying boat.jpg
    The Ito 31 Flying boat.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15