ISIS Drone Bombers

fredymac

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
ISIS drones dropping what appear to be 40mm grenade sized unguided bombs from low altitude (including an Iraqi M1 tank at 2:44 mark). The targets usually appear to be unaware of the drone (battery powered perhaps).

The effects mainly seem to be in wounding and harassing. Nonetheless, in sufficient numbers this could deter and delay troops performing their mission and I imagine this video is attracting attention with US military planners.

Anti drone techniques are already being researched so this will just add impetus to get something fielded. Obviously, something that can detect drone intrusions before they arrive overhead would be preferred. Considering how small they are and low they fly, that will be difficult. A dispersed swarm that impedes intruders who don't respond with proper IFF might be one approach but the quickest solution would be a general EMI blanket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X2ORSlPJ10&feature=youtu.be

Interesting how their aim improves as the film progresses...

Quote from the video description:
"Some users have remarked that the bombs were dropped by a quadcopter rather than the planelike drone seen at the beginning. (i.e. the drone hovers)."

I agree on that.

This is concerning, especially if this method is used to terrorize civilians in urban environments.

BR Michael

GTX said:
I'm not so sure about the first video. Looks somewhat fake to me.

No matter if the vid is fake or real, dropping IEDs from or attaching them to COTS multicopters is a reality.

VTOLicious said:
No matter if the vid is fake or real, dropping IEDs from or attaching them to COTS multicopters is a reality.

No, technically if the video is fake then this is not reality. The threat/possibility might be there but this does not in of itself make it a reality.

GTX said:
I'm not so sure about the first video. Looks somewhat fake to me.

The actual footage looks like the same quality and motion of all of the commercial/personal drone footage I've ever seen, though. The graphics are the part that surprised me but we know that ISIS has got some savvy production people, so...

The thing that makes me doubt the video is more around the 'bomb' drop vision. If this is an added in latter edit than fine but I don't believe that shown is actual.

GTX said:
The thing that makes me doubt the video is more around the 'bomb' drop vision. If this is an added in latter edit than fine but I don't believe that shown is actual.

I agree that's the part that looks off; something too clean/ smooth/ "graphically"about it as they fall away.
However I'm far from a forensic expert so more qualified feedback more than welcome :)

kaiserd said:
GTX said:

I agree that's the part that looks off; something too clean/ smooth/ "graphically"about it as they fall away.
However I'm far from a forensic expert so more qualified feedback more than welcome :)

That's how high-resolution the cameras that go on these are. I've seen footage from one flying through a fireworks show in town. It's amazing. And the perspective is weird to us, so that doesn't help.

GTX said:

That's definitely post-production.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/06/14/isis-drones-are-attacking-u-s-troops-and-disrupting-airstrikes-in-raqqa-officials-say