IRON - Innovative turbopROp configuratioN

Innovative low-noise propeller within the CS2 IRON project

Is it safe to assume that these innovative propellers are also more efficient than their noisy predecessors?

Those are going to be a beast to design. There is going to be a lot of aero pitching at the tip. Seems pitch axis may show blade has a bit of forward sweep on the inboard portion to counteract the outboard sweep. This should help reduce control loads. It will be interesting to see how they handle the sweep/local pitch coupling out at the tip as well as the bending moment right there where it sweeps back at the tip. The chordwise bending is going to be high, and will require some good focus on keeping the strains low at the trailing edge.

We will see what's left of the concept after an enduring test campaign. Once again, if it hasn't flown it's worth not much.

Those are going to be a beast to design. There is going to be a lot of aero pitching at the tip. Seems pitch axis may show blade has a bit of forward sweep on the inboard portion to counteract the outboard sweep. This should help reduce control loads. It will be interesting to see how they handle the sweep/local pitch coupling out at the tip as well as the bending moment right there where it sweeps back at the tip. The chordwise bending is going to be high, and will require some good focus on keeping the strains low at the trailing edge.

Given the number of blades, I'm guessing they're trying to compensate (lower loading) for a lot of that with lower RPMs. Man, now I'm going to have to go dig all of those old notes on Blade Activity, etc. ;) I'm just shocked at how thin the chord is all the way down to the hub.

They probably have a lot of back pressure with those blade tips canted unconventionally. That should mean that airstream is already at a significant angle of attack when it hits the leading edge of the inner blade. Hence not much need for a geometrical circulation.
IMOHO the main advantages here is to have an induced sweep angle over the chord, what is lowering the effective Mach speed over the blade chord. A bona-fide for noise abatement ;)