Interstellar. Wow, hollywood got it right.

VH said:
Sure there were several plot holes in Interstellar like that planet they traveled to orbiting a black hole somehow having daylight while we know that black holes do not emit light.

Did you miss the glowing accretion disk?

I've been reading Kip Thorne's "The Science of Interstellar." A surprising number of the complaints about the science are actually addressed and explained, though a lot of it boils down to "in order for it to make sense you had to have information that wasn't presented on-screen." Like Gargantua wasn't the only black hole; there were others in orbit about it. Gargantua is a 100 *million* solar mass BH, so ones with merely 10,000 solar masses are just tiny pipsqueaks next to it, but these were used for slingshot maneuvers, explaining how a piddly rocketship could zip around the system. One throwaway reference to a slingshot by a neutron star was all that made it into the movie.

Yeah the glowing accretion disk could stand in for a light source. One interesting thing I noticed was the reference to a 5 dimensional space that was presented as being an adjunct to the library back on earth to make sense to the Cooper character when he fell into the black hole.

A similar environment was presented to 'Dave' after he went on his journey in Jupiter space in the movie 2001. The room:

Attachments

• BFZ1S0Fbmp.jpg
    BFZ1S0Fbmp.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 99
And a thanks for pointing out the book "The Science of Interstellar"

Orionblamblam said:
bobbymike said:
Better than Interstellar in 3 minutes? ;)

My god that was SPECTACULAR.

If this doesn't get turned into a three-hour IMAX epic, that's just one more reason to despise Hollywood.
That is indeed a superb short. Alas not enough pew-pew to make it viable for IMAX now I am afraid. How sad is that. I grew up watching man reach into space; trekking to Kennedy for Gemini and Apollo launches (feeling the Saturn V at full throttle from 3 miles). Getting every document I could from NASA. Now I have to hope that commercial viability will keep us doing 'hollowed logs' to see what is on the other side of the sea.

Orionblamblam said:
Abraham Gubler said:
It seems the only reason humans travel into space is to go base jumping.

No, they go there to *live.* At least in the good visions of spaceflight. In Hollywood visions, they go there to not die. A substantial difference.

And with this observation, I finally figured out who John Gault is.

He's Elon Musk; the Engineer who will invite the other producers out there to join him in an endeavor -- the colonization of Mars -- far removed from the unappreciative, unproductive masses. He's proofing his efficient, world changing engine as I write this. If he can keep the Government from stopping him, the migration of our best will start in twenty years.

If all goes as planned. Earth will be the Systems back-water in a half-century.

Orionblamblam said:
No, they go there to *live.* At least in the good visions of spaceflight. In Hollywood visions, they go there to not die. A substantial difference.

Well that video while spectacular and with a nice Sagan voice over just seemed to be showing humans on other planets going base jumping. And one pretty girl in a snow suit, presumably ballooning above Titan.

merriman said:
And with this observation, I finally figured out who John Gault is.

*Galt,* in point of fact.

If he can keep the Government from stopping him, the migration of our best will start in twenty years.

Sadly a big if. Because it won't be just the one government trying to stop him (and Bigelow, and Xcor, and Branson), but others as well. Imagine how thrilled Putin and the ChiComs would be if Musk began to turn the asteroids and Mars into a free market America 2.

If all goes as planned. Earth will be the Systems back-water in a half-century.

Best case, I wouldn't put that before end of century. But so long as free men get out there and set up self-sufficient and profitable colonies before civilization goes down here on Earth, then before too long the bulk of mankind will look back on the birthplace of man, Earth, the same we we today look back on the the birthplace of man, Tanzania.

Abraham Gubler said:
just seemed to be showing humans on other planets going base jumping.

There are all kinfs of videos showing Americans base jumping off bridges and skyscrapers and cliffs and such. But Americas ancestors didn't leave their crappy homelands and come to America to go basejumping; basejumping is just one of the perks.

And one pretty girl in a snow suit, presumably ballooning above Titan.

The upper atmosphere of Saturn, in fact. This would require a hot air dirigible. Presumably nuclear powered.

http://www.erikwernquist.com/wanderers/gallery_ringshine.html

<i>This is one of the most awesome views I can imagine experiencing in the Solar System; floating in a light breeze above Saturn's cloud tops at night, looking up at the glorious swaths of the Rings in the sky, and witness how they wash the cloudscape with the light they reflect from the Sun. The ringshine.

Saturn is a huge ball of gas with no surface to stand on (apart from a small rocky core that may hide in its very center), so any human visit there would have to be suspended in balloons or dirigibles, like seen here. The atmospheric pressure at the upper layers of clouds ranges between 0,5 and 2 times the pressure at sea level on Earth, so in theory you could "hang around" under the open sky there without the need of pressurized a space suit. You would, however, need to bring along oxygen to breathe and it would be very cold - temperatures at this altitude range between -170 and -110 C.

So, I have taken some liberties with realism here but I wanted to show a person without a space suit for this final shot, and just hope the future might bring along some incredibly insulating material to make it possible to take a stroll on a balcony beneath the sky of Saturn wearing just a jacket and a face mask.
The winds on Saturn also blow pretty hard. The highest speeds are around the equator, where they can reach 500 meters per second, and slow down towards the poles. However, when suspended in a balloon or dirigible like here, you would be floating along with the wind, hardly feeling anything more than a light breeze.</I>>

"This is one of the most awesome views I can imagine experiencing in the Solar System; floating in a light breeze above Saturn's cloud tops at night, looking up at the glorious swaths of the Rings in the sky, and witness how they wash the cloudscape with the light they reflect from the Sun. The ringshine."

Or you could be parachuting while sitting in a kayak, wondering what happens when you hit bottom.