- Dec 27, 2005
- Reaction score
I agree, that's why the rules state:
- Remember The Golden Rule: Treat others as you would have them treat you.
- ALWAYS be polite and civil in forum posts.
- Personal attacks on others are ALWAYS inappropriate. Disagree all you like with their ideas or opinions, but don't resort to name-calling or flaming. Argue facts, not personalities.
- Remind yourself that these are people with whom you are dealing. They have feelings. Try to treat others with dignity. The world is a big place, with different cultures and conventions.
- If other users are not as civil as you would like them to be, be more civil, not less in response. That way you don't contribute to the degredation of the tone of the forum by your own actions but are actively doing something about it. Some of our older members in particular are actively turned off from the forum by rudeness, lack of respect and pointless slanging matches, and some valuable former engineers have been lost from the forum's membership.
- Keep in mind that raw text may be ambiguous and often seems ruder than the same words coming from a person standing in front of you. Irony is not always obvious when written. Remember that text comes without facial expressions, vocal inflection, or body language. Be careful choosing the words you write: what you mean might not be what others understand. Likewise, be careful how you interpret what you read: what you understand might not be what others mean, especially if English is not their first language.
- If you feel that a post is in the wrong section, is pointlessly stupid, or otherwise obectionable, report it using the "report" button found in each post and explain what the problem is. Your compaint will be reviewed by a moderator as soon as practicable. Don't jump in and post replies in the topic.