Information about Tümmler U-boot project

le max

ACCESS: Restricted
Joined
28 February 2021
Messages
19
Reaction score
32
I entered this page https://www.u-historia.com/uhistoria/tecnico/intecnico.htm (In spanish)

and saw very interesting information about a german submarine project called "Tümmler", but there is no photo of the sub, and I couldn't find photos of it neither. Anyone has more info about this project or a photo please?
 
Last edited:
No photo or drawing,sorry, but in Eberhard Rössler's "Geschichte des deutschen U-Bootbaus", volume 2, the project "Tümmler" is described as a small coastal sub, which mainly relied on a fixed snorkel, mounted in a streamlined fairing, together with the periscope and "snorkel lookout", a high set place for the commander of the 6 men crew. Main propulsion came from a 2,000 hp MAN Diesel (as used in the type XXI), which allowed a speed of 17 knots submerged. For more silent running (5 to 6 knots) a 60 hp Büssing engine (as in the Seehund) was fitted, that additionally charged a small battery, that allowed for a short distance being really submerged.
The hull was completely streamlined, without deck or sail, apart from the snorkel, the boat would have had a small positive buoyancy for nearly all the time, and would have dived dynamically. Armament would have been four torpedo tubes in the bow without reloads, with the same fire control system, as in the type XXIII.
The idea was this type of sub was mainly triggered by the three points:
- The first experiences with the snorkel were quite positive, and the assumption was, that the head of a snorkel would have been difficult to locate, even for radar. But the modified U-boats couldn't use their full Diesel power when snorkeling.
- Such a type would have consumed less materials, than a full sized U-boat.
- The loss of such a boat would have reduced the headcount of the German Navy by 6 men, and not by about 60, as usually does a Type VII boat.
 
The "Tümmler" project is mentioned in Eberhard Rössler's book "U-Boottyp XXIII". A drawing of a project for a "Unterwasser-Schnellboot" dating from April 1944 is also illustrated. This "US-Boot" features a teardrop hull and a "Schnorchelausguck." A model was tested at the HSVA.

Maybe related?
December 1943 - April 1944
Hamburgische Schiffbau-Versuchanstalt (H.S.V.A.) - Towing tests Unterwasser-Schnellboot (Entwurf Wichern)
Source: Bundesarchiv
Signatur: RM 24/111
Direct Link:
https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/invenio/direktlink/62e47af1-f8ef-4f8f-964f-d9cd35f04c93/
 
I have been drawing a few iterations of how I think this might have looked based on the scant description and the equipment volume of other U-boats. I am currently re-imaging the snorkel look out design.
Neither definitive nor final.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8740.png
    IMG_8740.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8747.png
    IMG_8747.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8754.png
    IMG_8754.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Miscalculated regarding the abilities of centimetric radar?

Interesting concept.
 
I have been drawing a few iterations of how I think this might have looked based on the scant description and the equipment volume of other U-boats. I am currently re-imaging the snorkel look out design.
Neither definitive nor final.
Interesting model! As for the propeller, skewed propellers with a high blade number would not be used on submarines until well into the Cold War. The propeller would probably have been a three- or four-bladed unskewed propeller similar to those on contemporary submarines and surface warships.
 
Interesting model! As for the propeller, skewed propellers with a high blade number would not be used on submarines until well into the Cold War. The propeller would probably have been a three- or four-bladed unskewed propeller similar to those on contemporary submarines and surface warships.
I know. I was just slightly stretching reality for fun and this skewed style was handy.
I will probably model something based on the type 201 screw or something.
 
Back
Top Bottom