• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

In what plane did you first fly?

Moose

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Delta Boeing 727-200 from Boston to Atlanta. In Atlanta my Delta-employed uncle showed me around another 727 that was in maintenance, remains the only time I've been in the cockpit of a commercial airliner that wasn't in a museum environment.

TomS

Reaction score
I was pretty young so it's hard to be sure, but I think a Convair 580 sometime in the late 1970s. I have a clear memory of it being a fairly large prop plane with a forward door, and the Convair seems most likely.

Ray

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
First flight was in a Piper Cub but I don't remember anything about it since I was about 2 years old. Best flight was a test flight in a Citation 10. Very impressive. Most fun was a homebui Rocket R-1 built by a retired Navy fighter pilot. Great fun. 250 HP. 1596245169021.jpeg 1596245169021.jpeg lt

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
My first parachute jump was from a Cessna 182 in 1977. Since then I have jumped from more than 30 types of aircraft and a bridge.
Airvan, Breezy, Cariboo,, Dornier, Equerill helicopter, Ford Trimotor, Huey, Islander, Jet Ranger, Kodiak, Lockheed C-130, Maule, Piper Cherokee 6, Skyvan, Twin Otter, Westwind Beechcraft, etc.

TomS

Reaction score
My first parachute jump was from a Cessna 182 in 1977. Since then I have jumped from more than 30 types of aircraft and a bridge.
Airvan, Breezy, Cariboo,, Dornier, Equerill helicopter, Ford Trimotor, Huey, Islander, Jet Ranger, Kodiak, Lockheed C-130, Maule, Piper Cherokee 6, Skyvan, Twin Otter, Westwind Beechcraft, etc.
Man, you've had really bad luck having to bail out of so many aircraft... :D

GeorgeA

Reaction score
First flight of any type: light piston twin out of Danbury (CT) Airport circa 1962.

First commercial flight: AA DC-10, JFK-LAX in the summer of 1972 (8 across in coach!).

First parachute jump (50% of my skydiving career), Cessna single engine, Storm King, NY, summer of 1979.

First helicopter flight: Digital Equipment Corp.-owned Bell JetRanger, Marlboro site to Logan International, 1986.

TsrJoe

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
First Flight, DHC. Chipmunk as a bright eyed Air Cadet
First Glider ride, Slingsby Sedberg T.21 (solo on Cadet T.3)
First Helicopter ride, Westland Wessex (& zipline out of)
First civil aircraft ride, Miles M.100 Student, G-APLK :)
First civil passenger flight, clean newly delivered Air France 737-500 to Paris CDG. (and scruffy old type British Airways 737-200 bus for return)
First 'classic' civil flight, KLM. DC.3 Dakota
First military ride, SAL. Jetstream T.1
First military 'fast jet' ride, Ilmavoimat Hawk T.51

Last edited:

saba

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
I was told it was III 1956, a DC6 from Bruxelles to Stanleyville (now Kisangani in RDC) followed by a DC3 to Bukavu
The first I remember was a DC4 (Royal Lybian Airlines) and after a DC7
The last ( for now) were B787 and A350 on my trip to NZ novembre 2019
Between, more than 30 types of aircraft, the smallest a Cessna 152 and the biggest a A380
Unexpectedly also a C-130

Trident

Reaction score
I was told it was III 1956, a DC6 from Bruxelles to Stanleyville (now Kisangani in RDC) followed by a DC3 to Bukavu
The first I remember was a DC4 (Royal Lybian Airlines) and after a DC7
A slight variation on the famous Long Beach sign - "Fly DC Props"!

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Cherokee 140 when I was 6 years old in Oahu, HI. My Father was a fighter pilot in the Navy and was assigned to VU-1 at NAS Barbers Point. Rented the 140 and we flew around the island as I recall. Flew back to the States in late 1966 (we moved to Hawaii and crossed the Pacific from San Francisco on the SS Lurline) on a Continental 707 - the "Big Bird with the Brass Ass" as my Father stated, probably because he had a job lined up at United Air Lines! Wish now I had kept a log of anything I ever flew in - at the time you could not imagine that Caravelles, DC-8s, DC-9s, and 747s would no longer grace the skies carrying passengers.....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

hagaricus

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
1st was a SAS Caravelle early 70's some time.. I remember being freaked out by the noise & my ears popping. I was a very regular cockpit visitor after that, culminating in a DC-9 crew letting me sit in the cockpit jump seat during landing. I clearly remember once getting a seat next to someone from BAC or BAe who was working on the 146 and promised me a tour of the facility.. No amount of bugging my mum to make the call gave results. I sometimes I wish I'd been a more independent 10 year old.

Last edited:

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
First flight was in a Piper Cub but I don't remember anything about it since I was about 2 years old. Best flight was a test flight in a Citation 10. Very impressive. Most fun was a homebui Rocket R-1 built by a retired Navy fighter pilot. Great fun. 250 HP.View attachment 638627View attachment 638627lt
Hey, I recognize that one! :) Mark