Implications Of Directed Energy Integrated Air Defense Systems In 2030

XP67_Moonbat

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
https://www.afresearch.org/skins/rims/q_mod_be0e99f3-fc56-4ccb-8dfe-670c0822a153/q_act_downloadpaper/q_obj_a23a8b36-4db1-471b-883f-cd468d792693/display.aspx?rs=enginespage.

I actually read through most of that document and the prospect of all of those things creeps me out a bit. Why can't lasers and DE weapons be a bit more simple? Mach 21 hypersonic SAMs?

One question I have is in such an environment how are UCAVs going to maintain a secure link to operators?

Colonial-Marine said:
I actually read through most of that document and the prospect of all of those things creeps me out a bit. Why can't lasers and DE weapons be a bit more simple? Mach 21 hypersonic SAMs?

One question I have is in such an environment how are UCAVs going to maintain a secure link to operators?

My guess would be that in the 2030 time frame, given the geometric progression of computing power, UCAVs will be almost completely autonomous with maybe no link to an operator (maybe only to OK weapons release)

Colonial-Marine said:

Most likely just for weapons release permission as stated above, and using optical data links to sats.

Some of the UFO nuts have been filming what they call "space wars" with nightvision equipment. I think they have just managed to accidentally catch some new sophisticated sats using IR lasers for communication.

sublight said:
Colonial-Marine said:

Most likely just for weapons release permission as stated above, and using optical data links to sats.

Some of the UFO nuts have been filming what they call "space wars" with nightvision equipment. I think they have just managed to accidentally catch some new sophisticated sats using IR lasers for communication.

This where the swarms of insect UAV have to be released to find their way to the DEW systems and crawl into the electronics and do what mayhem they can. Or you loose the tungsten rods from space to impart some kinetic energy on the site. Glad I retired a whilce back.

Yeah but how do you keep on IR laser on an ultra-stealthy aircraft?

yasotay said:
sublight said:
Colonial-Marine said:

This where the swarms of insect UAV have to be released to find their way to the DEW systems and crawl into the electronics and do what mayhem they can. Or you loose the tungsten rods from space to impart some kinetic energy on the site. Glad I retired a whilce back.

I am thinking a barrage of "rods from space" combined with a nice chaff package for diversion would take out a DE site.

You know, with all this escalation/counter escalation technology, has anybody ever sat down and did a cost analysis of how much it would be to just invent crap that would "plentify" the resources that are at the core of the theoretical conflict? So, in their scenario, we did battle with the Chinese. Over Taiwan. How much would it cost to just let them have Taiwan? We could sure save a lot of money on weapons that way....

I have reason to believe that any lasers currently deployed are backed up with those at least 5 years more advanced. No need to show all of your cards to the enemy. As far as directed energy weapons, airborne platforms that can release a pulse of energy at a specific target exist.