Imagining Outer Space published

antigravite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hello,

Imagining Outer Space, a scholar series of studies on visions of astronautics, has just been released, based on a conference which had taken place a few years ago.

http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?PID=364196

Description (editor): "Imagining Outer Space makes a captivating advance into the cultural history of outer space and extraterrestrial life in the European imagination. How was outer space conceived and communicated? What promises of interplanetary expansion and cosmic colonization propelled the project of human spaceflight to the forefront of twentieth-century modernity? In what way has West-European astroculture been affected by the continuous exploration of outer space? Tracing the current thriving interest in spatiality to early attempts at exploring imaginary worlds beyond our own, the book's authors analyze contact points between science and fiction from a transdisciplinary perspective and examine sites and situations where utopian images and futuristic technologies contributed to the omnipresence of fantasmatic thought. Bringing together state-of-the-art work in this emerging field of historical research, the volume breaks new ground in the historicization of the Space Age."
[/size]
[/size]It has chapters such as:
[/size][/size]Space, Time and Aliens:The Role of Imagination in Outer Space; S.J.Dick[/size]Imagining Inorganic Life: Crystalline Aliens in Science and Fiction; T.Brandstetter [/size]

[/size]Balloons on the Moon: Visions of Space Travel in Francophone Comic Strips; G.de Syon
[/size]Projecting Landscapes of the Human Mind onto Another World: Changing Faces of an Imaginary Mars; R.Eisfeld'Smash the Myth of the Fascist Rocket Baron': East German Attacks on Wernher von Braun in the 1960s; M.J.NeufeldTranscendence of Gravity: Arthur C. Clarke and the Apocalypse of Weightlessness: T.Bjørnvig
[/size]Inscribing Scientific Knowledge: Interstellar Communication, NASA's Pioneer Plaque, and Contact with Cultures of the Imagination, 1971-72; W.R.Macauley
[/size]
[/size]etc.
[/size]

[/size]Haven't ordered it yet but was waiting or its release.

On the same page there's a link to the book "Femininity, Mathematics and Science 1880-1914." That had me stumped for a moment... 2+3=5 regardless of whether you are male or female; the laws of gravity do not care about masculinity or femininity. But I finally figured it out: there is only one best number, and it's 5,318,008.

Orionblamblam said:
On the same page there's a link to the book "Femininity, Mathematics and Science 1880-1914." That had me stumped for a moment... 2+3=5 regardless of whether you are male or female; the laws of gravity do not care about masculinity or femininity. But I finally figured it out: there is only one best number, and it's 5,318,008.

1880-1914=-34
That was an easy one!
;)

There is also a mathematical rate between the length of the men's beard and the length of women's skirts and the price of gold throughout history. Robert A. Heinlein, Friday, 1982 ;D