Ikara in the Falklands

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
It is well known that apart from HMS Bristol no RN ships equipped with Ikara deployed to the Falklands in 1982.

I have two questions arising from this.

Did the RN consider and reject sending Ikara Leanders south?

Did Bristol use its Ikara against Argentine subs?

It is well known that apart from HMS Bristol no RN ships equipped with Ikara deployed to the Falklands in 1982.

I have two questions arising from this.

Did the RN consider and reject sending Ikara Leanders south?

Did Bristol use its Ikara against Argentine subs?
According to “Falklands Air War” Bristol didn’t arrive in Falklands waters until 25th May 1982 by which time the Argentinian’s sole remaining operational submarine, San Luis, was safely back at Puerto Belgrano Naval Base after her 39 day patrol that caused the RN a few problems. Repairs were not completed until after the conflict ended.

This book sets out the RN anti-sub campaign in detail including all AS attacks and weapon launches.
“Go Find Him And Bring Me Back His Hat. The Royal Navy’s Anti-Submarine Campaign in the Falklands / Malvinas War” by Mariano Sciaroni with Andy Smith. Part of Helion Publishing’s Latin America@War series published in 2020.

The nearest Bristol came to an AS action was on 2nd June. Bristol was in company with Cardiff and 2 Sea Kings when Cardiff obtained a sonar contact classified POSSUB HIGH 3. Cardiff and the Sea Kings pursued it intermittently for about 2.5hrs and Cardiff launched a Mk 46 torpedo which exploded 1,000 yards from the ship. But there was no sub. Bristol gets no mention of actually getting a contact.

AIUI the RN had already decided that the Ikara Leanders were too weak in the air defence role (with only SeaCat and 2x40mm) and were no good for the gunline so were not suited to the Falklands War. So they were not sent.

Last edited: