If no TFX and the boeing proposal is chosen, when dose the f-111 become operational

Cjc

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Basically from what I have been able to find, a lot of the issues the f-111 had during the later part of its development (about 1965 to 1972 if my sources are correct) came from the sho horning in of the navy fighter element and the fundamentally unsuited disine chosen because of the fighter requirement. So what if the air force bomber and the navy intersepter weren't united, when would this new bomber inter service. I've seen estimates for 1965 but that seems a bit fast (tsr2 wich basically had basiclly the same requirements started in 58, the usaf didn't start until 60, then again the tfx did fly befor the tsr2 anyway so maybe).

The primary features the F-111A inherited from Navy involvement were the side-by-side seating and escape capsule, and the small weapons bay. The latter, of course, was never a problem, but the wide cockpit was one of the primary culprits in the F-111's chronic airflow problems.

However, the F-111A had more problems than just the intakes. Like the F-111B it was afflicted with weight growth, had reliability problems, and the TF30 engines, while less troublesome than on the Tomcat, were nonetheless underpowered and unreliable. Changing manufacturers is unlikely to actually solve those problems, and so I don't see it entering service much before the OTL 1967 date.

If there is no TFX program how do you get a Boeing TFX?
The boing tfx proposal was basically the airforce original proposal sense they didn't believe the government was serious about the combined bomber fighter specication. So In this case it wouldn't be a tfx specication but would probably still be similar.

If there is no TFX program how do you get a Boeing TFX?
The boing tfx proposal was basically the airforce original proposal sense they didn't believe the government was serious about the combined bomber fighter specication. So In this case it wouldn't be a tfx specication but would probably still be similar.
One of the big differences between Boeing's Navy and AF models was that the latter would use an internal structure that was shaped the same, but using lighter gauged metal, something Boeing had already proved in civil designs, because the Navy had no requirement to fly long distances at high speed at low altitude. This would save a lot of weight. However, McNamara demanded maximum "commonality" no matter what, regardless of how that affected the aircraft. So he kept overruling the selection team and finally just ordered what he wanted.

Back
Top Bottom