Identify this ship?

Maury Markowitz

From the Great White North!
Reaction score
Here is an image found on the Wiki Commons of a Sea Vixen:

Here is what is almost certainly the original image found on the IWM:

The first image claims this is aboard the Forrestal, the second claims it is aboard Hermes. Either is possible - the aircraft is part of the Hermes and it might be visiting Forrestal, and that might have been confused on the IWMs caption.

I'm wondering if any of the sharp-eyed denizens of this group can determine one way or the other? In the IWM image there are some crew, perhaps there is enough detail of their clothing? Or perhaps the marking on the deck?

I feel like that starter cart (or whatever) is pretty distinctive. The bullet-shaped fairing on wheels doesn't feel like something the USN would have done. Which makes me suspect this is on HMS Hermes. But no guarantee.

Very unlikely the forestall has both crew ladders for a sea vixen. You would if this was the forestall see an ordinary step ladder used, like you have at home.

1640039898460.jpeg
So, some cross decking did happen…..but note the deck crew are wearing deck helmets, in the vixen photo I don’t think they are. Photo from wiki.

A bit more info, in the raf we were issued with deck helmets, in the 90’s, genuine made in USA. We hated them, too big, no where to put them when not wearing them,, so wear all the time, can’t hear anyone, or vehicles moving, etc. ordinary ear defs, u can wear them on your head, off your ears, in your overall pocket, clamp round your leg etc. hard to lose, but you can hear.

Starter pod is a pallouste, I.e a small turbine. In a pod, so you can take it with you. So if a planned cross deck would have been taken, but also listed as needed by the sky warrior……

For me the two parallel white lines at the bottom of the IWM photo clinch it for me as being Hermes, seems a much closer match to Hermes' deck markings than Forrestal.

Starter pod is a pallouste, I.e a small turbine. In a pod, so you can take it with you. So if a planned cross deck would have been taken, but also listed as needed by the sky warrior……

Thanks. I wondered about that but couldn't find a good search term to check.

Having poked about in Google Images a bit, I'm increasingly convinced this is indeed Hermes.

The key appears to be the double line under the nosewheel. I see that all of the Centaurs had this in the bow, I suppose indicating the catapult runs?

The line at the edge of the deck does not seem so obvious, but I'm not sure that is a line and not some sort of mechanical bit. But in any event, it appears this aircraft is parked near the bow of the ship, and assuming it's not photo-reversed, on the port side.

That said, these double lines are not always there:

But they do appear in most 1960s images I can find, including this one of the Victorious:

Very unlikely the forestall has both crew ladders for a sea vixen. You would if this was the forestall see an ordinary step ladder used, like you have at home.
Would think they would pre-position support equipment, bridles, etc. prior to a Vixen or other types coming aboard the Forrestal. Not exactly like they can just stop in for a pint or dinner unannounced.

Thanks all for the different links - pretty neat!

Enjoy the Day! Mark