Identify this LLRV/LLTV please?

jstar

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Need help identifying this LLRV/LLTV please. Can find only a few pictures of it. It may have been used at the Langley Lunar Research Facility. More pictures, plans, drawings would be nice...hoping to model it.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 24
Need help identifying this LLRV/LLTV please. Can find only a few pictures of it. It may have been used at the Langley Lunar Research Facility. More pictures, plans, drawings would be nice...hoping to model it.

Many thanks.

It's a cab for the Lunar Landing Simulator at Langley. It was mostly suspended by cables from a gantry,with hydrogen peroxide thursters providing the rest of the propulsion. I found a video of it in action that might help, and a description in a NASA history (you want Page 375 and following). That might give you a better starting point for your research.

"Lunar Excursion Module Simulator (LEMS) that was used at the LLRF (Lunar Landing Research Facility) at Langley. The LLRV was a free-flying vehicle, while this LEMS vehicle only flew tethered, hanging from the huge gantry at the LLRF site.

Attachments

• 358650main_road2apollo-17b_full.jpg
    358650main_road2apollo-17b_full.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 18
  • LLRV GPN-2000-001744.jpg
    LLRV GPN-2000-001744.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 7
  • LLRV GPN-2000-001280.jpg
    LLRV GPN-2000-001280.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 18
Thank you, Gentlemen, for the quick responses, pictures, and leads. Very much appreciated. Was looking in all the wrong places, but now that I know it's the Lunar Excursion Module Simulator I can carry on.

Many thanks.

The cabin looks like it has been "borrowed" from a Bell 47... would not be a surprise: helicopters and lunar landers have a lot in common.