ID of 1920's Aircraft

ChuckAnderson

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I was looking through an old issue of Popular Mechanics (November 1929, Vol.52,No.5, p.793), and I found this aircraft picture.

The aircraft is not directly identified in the article, but they do give this information:

Two radial engines (525 hp each), front 2-blade prop, rear 3-blade prop.
Length: 53'
Wingspan: 67'
CREW: Two (2) (Pilot & Observer)
Passengers: Six (6)
Weight: 9,000 lbs (fully loaded)
Max Speed: 160 mph
Cruising Speed: 140 mph

Chuck

Attachments

• A Acft ID.JPG
    A Acft ID.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 324
Well, it looks as if it should have a glider's tow-hitch...

Hi!

Aircraft looks nice!

Did you see this page in Google Books?
http://books.google.com/books?id=0N8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA792&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=truehttp://books.google.com/books?id=0N8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA792&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=true

There is inscription above the photo, which I couldn't recognize...

Perhaps other people helps?

Attachments

• popmech aircraft.png
    popmech aircraft.png
    334.1 KB · Views: 235
Could be "Marrison" or "Morrison", now that I come to think of it.

As for "3358", it doesn't seem to correspond to the aircraft's registration (that was used for a Curtiss JN-4D).

Hi Stargazer!

Thanks for careful reading.
However, mystery isn'f solved.

I checked the list of Dayton-Wright company aircraft
http://www.aerofiles.com/_dayton.html
and - no sign of this rare bird.

Also tries to find Morrison or Marrison on the above mentioned site, and my search failed.

Perhaps, someone could knew more?

Found it. The aircraft IS on the Aerofiles site, but NOT under the letter "D"...

Check out the Chicago-Midwest entry under "C". That company was founded in 1929 and became Dayton Aircraft Corp. the next year. No relation with Dayton-Wright whatsoever...

The aircraft was called the X-101 (registered X3094) and was also known as the "Dayton Overmount". It was powered by two 525hp Wright R-1750 Cyclone tractor-pushers in tandem and could carry 10 passengers. The high-mounted wing was purchased from Fokker Corp. The X-101 boasted a take-off run of only 225 feet. After 80 hours' worth of successful flights, its motors were converted to side-by-side tractors, then it was sold in 1934, and ignobly converted into a concession stand at Lansing airport.

Hi!

Great find!

Thanks for sharing.
Curiously - seems, that all data in inscription was correct, although I did't tries to broaden my search on Aerofiles.com to find "Dayton Aircraft Co." (instead of well-known "Dayton-Wright")

Cheers!

Silencer1 said:
I did't tries to broaden my search on Aerofiles.com to find "Dayton Aircraft Co." (instead of well-known "Dayton-Wright")

"Corp", not "Co"... That's the kind of detail that can make a difference in a Google search!! ;)

Just found another entry in Aerofiles.com

[color=000000][font=arial,helvetica][font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Dayton 1927: Dayton Airplane Engine Co, Dayton OH; 1930: Pawtucket RI.
cleardot.gif

Bear 1928 (ATC 11) = 100-120hp 444ci 4LA. Modified Hall-Scott A-7.
cleardot.gif

-Grant, O-765 1929 = 225hp@2000rpm 763.4ci 8HOA; wt: 500#. POP: 1.
[/font][/color][/font]

Perhaps, this company is resonsible for "Dayton Overmount" design?

Curiously, there is a mentions of those [color=000000][font=arial,helvetica][font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Dayton Airplane Engine Co in SKF roll bearings advirtisments fron early 1930th.[/font][/color][/font]