ICBM Basing Mode Options, 1981

Gridlock

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
http://lewis.armscontrolwonk.com/archive/5397/icbm-basing-modes

Not sure where this belongs, but fairly sure it's somewhere - there are a couple of relevant threads, but the main one is naval, so posting here. Sample page:

MX_7.png

Good to see the CDI was as unbiased as I remember. :)

GeorgeA said:
Good to see the CDI was as unbiased as I remember. :)

Hilarious - dirigible positives, low environmental impact.........except for the nuclear weapons :eek:

http://lewis.armscontrolwonk.com/files/2012/06/Defense_Monitor_1981_X_6.pdf

The full CDI document

I remember about the time of this document someone form the CDI came and gave a lecture at the university I was attending about the dangerous US provoked arms race instigated by Reagan.

It was all MX destabilizing, Trident D5 even worse, neutron bomb terrible, Pershing II Reagan's personal first strike weapon. They were not expecting me to step to the mic for question period and talk about the SS-20, SS-18, 19, 24, Typhoon, etc. etc.

The presenter made it sound like the US was the only participant of the arms race. :eek:

From Studies in Intelligence, Vol 57, Number 1, "The Early Evolution of the Predator Drone" :
"In yet another of the many twists and turns leading to the GNAT’s breakthrough, Karem’s initial rela- tionship with Woolsey had nothing to do with UAVs but with MX mis- sile basing. While working on a US committee examining options for MX basing, Woolsey heard Karem and a team from Boeing present an idea for a long endurance MX missile carrier that could efficiently loiter over the ocean for long periods of time. Woolsey was surprised by the vehicle’s range and payload, but he was even more impressed with Karem’s blend of creative engineer...."

I have to say I like the Dirigible one . probably able to carry 4 or 6 misssiles on a medium sized dirigible and refuel etc in flight fairly easily from other dirigibles . may only have a speed of 120 kts but that's enough to be hard to find even if only 400 nm offshore.