Huff-Daland HD.31 ?

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From L'Air Revue 1926,

here is a strange designation to Huff-Daland,it's HD.31,and I don't know if they meant Petrel 31 or not ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    636.5 KB · Views: 39
  • huff-petrel.jpg
    huff-petrel.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 46
Seems like that, the engine and the wingspan are the same. Also the year could be correct, the HD.22 comes from 1923, the HD.31 from 1925.

According to aerofiles, the last picture is HD.49, not 31. The difference in engine is obvious (Liberty vs Wright Whirlwind). This source https://www.deltamuseum.org/exhibits/delta-history/aircraft-by-type/crop-duster/Huff-Daland-Duster mentions that Huff-Daland tested various configurations and engines and ended with "large" Puffer (presumably Liberty-engined HD.31) and "small" Puffer (presumably Whirlwind engined HD.49) and that only the small airplane was succesfull. But they also claim that "Liberty engined Petrel 31" was the smaller machine.
To me it seemes that Delta confused both types, as the table from the L'Air Revue mentions our mysterious HD.31 as having 15.24 m/50 ft span and Liberty engine, and also mentions smaller "Petrel V" with 10,06 m/33 ft span and Wright engine. So:
HD.31 = Petrel 31 = 50 ft w/Liberty
HD.49 = Petrel V = 33 ft w/Wright

Last edited:
Thank you my dear Aubi,

but the HD.49 is new for me.

Last edited: