How do you find the speed of Secretprojects forum right now?

How do you find the speed of Secretprojects forum right now?

• Total voters

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have spent 3 evening tweaking server configuration for speed - wondering whether there is a noticable difference to end users.

It was quite bothersome to see such a loss in performance over the last month. It seems now that the original speed is back (that is, the one we had before server change) but I still have to test stuff like splitting and merging posts to be sure.

Congratulations and thanks for the effort!

It's without doubt better now, than directly after the change. Never checked it with a
stopwatch, of course, but I don't think, that I would really notice a difference between now
and the time befor. Splitting/merging sometimes took considerable time before, too.

Well, last few months I have serious problems just to open the forum. It happened several times. For example yesterday from cca 18:00 CET I was not able do download a single bit from secretprojects.co.uk and unable to launch even homepage. Today it took split of second. In the same time any other website worked properly (and I have stable 5 Mbps DSL connection). :-( I hope that I am the only one experiencing for some reason that kind of difficulties.

I couldn't connect to the forum last night between around 9.30pm-10.00pm GMT . Kept getting timeout error messages. Finally connected at approx. 11.30pm GMT, when the site was it's usual fast self.

cheers,
Robin.

The server was down for about 3 hours after a second major power outage at the new Las Vegas datacenter.

This is outside my control, but given 24 hours intentional downtime for migration to the new datacentre plus 2 subsequent power related unscheduled downtimes and 1 network route configuration downtime that was supposed to be "minutes" and became nearly 2 hours, the server has been inaccessible a lot this last month (4% downtime over the last 30 days). When the server is up, it works perfectly and speedily though.

I have spoken to the hosting company, they seem like good guys and have apologised for the downtime, but the only options I have are to stick it out and hope these type of incidents won't occur again or move to a new hosting company. Its a reasonable amount of work and hard to ensure in advance that the new company won't have similar (or worse) issues, unless we trade up to a substantially more expensive hosting company - and even then there are few guarantees and many don't take Paypal so I'd have to pay from my own credit card.

I've therefore decided to sit out another month and see what happens. If any more unscheduled downtime occurs I will get a new account with another provider and transfer the forum once more.

The situation may yet prove akin to the following, albeit (hopefully) less catastrophic:
schlock20050112.png

(Substitute server for teraport, and Cloud Computing for Universe. ;))

I am more than pleased with the speed of the forum over the past 10 days or so!

the loading speed is good some times just wont load the topics are fine but sometimes the photos don't load i had problems with the search engine thanks to stargazer topics i found what i was looking for but that suggests indexing problem but with such huge db is normal to have some problems for past 48 hours i can say that the forum worked as intended with some minor load errors