Houthi Air Force

yahya

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
F-5E revived?

Mi-171Sh:

I think some Su-22 are revived as well, pretty sure i saw pictures recently. What i really wonder is what happened with their MiG-29s.

Indeed. I also wonder if any MiG-29SMTs have survived the Saudi-led Coalition airstrikes and if the Houthis can bring them to service, as well.

Houthis are the kind of suicidal whackos (like A.Q or I.S) that could try attacks on ships, military or civilians, with antiquated Soviet types like Su-22s...

I wonder if they acquired the Kh-31P ARMs only, or the Kh-31A ASMs, too, from the old stocks of the official army, unless the latter have not been supplied by Russia. Anyway, they are good at converting the stuff and using it unconventionally, so who knows how the Kh-31Ps may end.

They also have numerous other ASMs obtained from Iran. Perhaps they can use the outdated a/c as their launch platforms, as well.

Another video, likely from July 2023, depicting Houthi exercises with a Mi-8 or Mi-17 fitted with air intake sand/dust filters.

Ansarullah-parade-in-Marib-Sirwah-2.jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• Yemeni F-5E fory air parade (21 September 2023) (1).jpg
    Yemeni F-5E fory air parade (21 September 2023) (1).jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Yemeni F-5E fory air parade (21 September 2023) (2).jpg
    Yemeni F-5E fory air parade (21 September 2023) (2).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Yemeni F-5E fory air parade (21 September 2023) (3).jpg
    Yemeni F-5E fory air parade (21 September 2023) (3).jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Yemeni F-5E fory air parade (21 September 2023) (4).jpg
    Yemeni F-5E fory air parade (21 September 2023) (4).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Yemeni F-5E fory air parade (21 September 2023).jpg
    Yemeni F-5E fory air parade (21 September 2023).jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Yemeni F-5E on ground.jpg
    Yemeni F-5E on ground.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 28
Yesterday a radar site in Sana was bombed by the LACM:

Was that radar launched in 2022 with the re-opening of the Sana Airport under the UN auspices?

It seems that the Houthis recently returned an Su-22 to flying condition.
It appears to have been seen flying over Sanaa in September 2023.
Houthis Su-22 over Sanaa (26 September 2023) (3).png Houthis Su-22 over Sanaa (26 September 2023) (2).png Houthis Su-22 over Sanaa (26 September 2023).png

And more recently for a parade. The last picture is at Sanaa airport, where a Su-22M4 was abandoned since 2018 or more.
Yemeni Su-22 inflight (~January 2024) (1).png Yemeni Su-22 inflight (~January 2024) (2).png Yemeni Su-22 probably at Sanaa (before January 2024).jpg
Yemeni Su-22M4 at Sanaa Int'l (December 2018).jpg

Last edited:
Has the F-5E been seen again in flight ?
I wonder if he tried to intercept USN F/A-18s or UK Typhoons ?
Maybe with the Su-22 as wingman.

Be careful what you "wish" for (nota bene: it's a metaphore). As I said, Houthis are crazy enough to try and fly suicide missions with those antiquated aircraft. Like a cornered animal, they have preciously little to lose trying everything that can disrupt Red Sea cargo crossings.
Some say they may disrupt Internet cables, and the Red Sea seems to be an important crossroads for such cables, so...

Be careful what you "wish" for (nota bene: it's a metaphore). As I said, Houthis are crazy enough to try and fly suicide missions with those antiquated aircraft. Like a cornered animal, they have preciously little to lose trying everything that can disrupt Red Sea cargo crossings.
Some say they may disrupt Internet cables, and the Red Sea seems to be an important crossroads for such cables, so...
I have to say that this idea comes mainly from the fact that I hold the F-5E Tigery II in very high esteem.
I think it's very capable of shooting down an F/A-18 if flown correctly and if the Hornet is taken by surprise on good condition, off course.
The MiG-17/19s were after all effective opponents to the F-4 Phantoms !

After that, the political side of things, "nice smart Americans vs. nasty dumb Houthis" doesn't interest me at all and I don't want to discuss it. I think the moderators agree with me.

Sounds like a cautious move, and I approve it (I once mocked the North Korean dictator as "the fatty buffoon" and got into trouble about it).

Sounds like a cautious move, and I approve it (I once mocked the North Korean dictator as "the fatty buffoon" and got into trouble about it).
Yes, as we say in French :
"Toutes les vérités ne sont pas bonnes à dire."

Still, as a die-hard F-5 Tiger fan, I can't resist thinking that it would be capable of great things.

Not too far from the late Michel Pons incredible collection(s). Been there a looooong time ago: 1998. Blew my mind.
I've born a few km from BA 118 Rozanoff, so Mont de Marsan.
Nowadays I'm closer from BA 106.

It must be hard to keep such a collection afloat, for any son or heir. As if the aircraft weren't enough, he also collected all kind of stuff such as Abarth Fiats, vineyard tractors, motorcycles...

Notice that those are pictures from a certain. F.L. I bet you a mousse it is the same F. L we have here
;)