Hollywood Writers Strike is Over - and about AI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incredible. Absolutely incredible. Your comments I mean.
So incredible that you utterly fail to even try to refute them. You seem to accuse me of a lack of creativity, yet you seem incapable of conceiving the very notion that creativity might well not be a human monopoly.

As to "more Skynet:" that may very well be. Computers/AI/Synthetic life forms have not just seemingly infinite potential, they'll get there Got Dayum Fast. Human evolution, on the other hand, is creakingly slow.

Wrong - as a guest worker/expat with resident alien status I proudly self-identify as Western European, aka stranger in a strange land.
Yeah, well, too bad. You break the law in the US, you'll get tried by Americans. Your jury pool, assuming you get a jury trial, will be made up of a random collection of American citizens who couldn't figure a way out of jury duty.

If you don't want to get tried and judged by random Americans, I have One Weird Trick that can help you. Defense attorneys hate it!

So incredible that you utterly fail to even try to refute them. You seem to accuse me of a lack of creativity, yet you seem incapable of conceiving the very notion that creativity might well not be a human monopoly.

As to "more Skynet:" that may very well be. Computers/AI/Synthetic life forms have not just seemingly infinite potential, they'll get there Got Dayum Fast. Human evolution, on the other hand, is creakingly slow.

I didn't accuse you of 'a lack of creativity.' A device that can mimic human actions is still just a device. Creativity is uniquely human. You seem to want music boxes from the 1800s to "evolve" (wrong term) into player pianos which then evolve into humanoid devices that have no humanity. They contain nothing except what humans put in them. They are nothing except what humans make them. You want to elevate and assign god-like status to things. That will never happen. Devices are not intentional, especially as regards inventing actions because they contain no humanity. A device that accidentally kills a person is just a product defect. An accident without intent.

Creativity is made by humans for humans. It can encompass all that makes us human. It can show our strengths and weaknesses. Our good and our bad. Those conflicts are portrayed in dramatic or subtle ways, and when done well, touch the heart and the mind. True art inspires, it uplifts, and in turn, inspires other human beings to make more of it. While there is an art sub-culture consisting of the distorted and the incomprehensible, for which few outside of a small circle can find any meaning, the more common forms that exist outside of the art cult are enjoyed by so many. Even sought after.

A device that can mimic human actions is still just a device.
Yeah, so?

You seem to want music boxes from the 1800s to "evolve" (wrong term) into player pianos which then evolve into humanoid devices that have no humanity.

See, this right here is *exactly* your problem. I am an author of aerospace history of some very *small* note. I am an author of science fiction of absolutely *zero* note. The rise of AI authored books will assure that, even if my sci-fi was any good (highly debatable), it'll never make me a dime. AI written and illustrated books will probably end my aerospace authorship at some point. It would be in my interests if AI failed utterly.

What I *want* is irrelevant. What's *happening* is what's important. You can't seem to distinguish the difference between someone telling you "you're driving off a cliff" from someone *wanting* you to drive off a cliff.

Creativity is made by humans for humans.
Given that creativity is seen in distinctly non-human species, you're already wrong. Whether creativity by machines for machines will happen is unknown, but it's ridiculous to claim that it *won't.*

Yeah, well, too bad. You break the law in the US, you'll get tried by Americans. Your jury pool, assuming you get a jury trial, will be made up of a random collection of American citizens who couldn't figure a way out of jury duty.

If you don't want to get tried and judged by random Americans, I have One Weird Trick that can help you. Defense attorneys hate it!
Actually, the one weird trick I consistently rely on to not get tried and judged by random Americans is to not commit any crimes or offenses :).

You figured out the dark secret of avoiding prosecution.
Hey, I'm just a plain and simple West German mid sized city born, raised, and educated aerospace engineer who happened to figure out that the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation is only the most basic example of what is likely a whole family of propulsive equations where the specific impulse is a function of the flight velocity (as it is for example for airbreathers), so following the basic tenet of "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" is literally a "duh" no-brainer to me, even apart from any actual higher brain function level ethical considerations that regrettably appear to be beyond the mental grasp or concern of a significant fraction of the world's population these days.

Last edited:
Well, a *lot* of people have realized that "there's no time if you do the crime" in a lot of places, since the laws are enforced irregularly or not at all. But every now and then someone breaks a law that they fully expect to get away with - burglary, shoplifting, assault, home/nation invasion - and they get a dose of legal reality.

One might argue that this line of discussion has moved beyond the topic of the thread, but one would be a rather uncreative soul if one did so. Again: when AI replace all the writers, producers, actors and whatnot, they will doubtless be used to greater or lesser degrees in legal judgements. And in those cases, so long as the code is openly readable, law enforcement will either be clearly defined and relatively inflexible, or people will know just how exactly they're being screwed by incompetent and/or corrupt law-coding.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flLoSxd2nNY

Yeah, so?

See, this right here is *exactly* your problem. I am an author of aerospace history of some very *small* note. I am an author of science fiction of absolutely *zero* note. The rise of AI authored books will assure that, even if my sci-fi was any good (highly debatable), it'll never make me a dime. AI written and illustrated books will probably end my aerospace authorship at some point. It would be in my interests if AI failed utterly.

What I *want* is irrelevant. What's *happening* is what's important. You can't seem to distinguish the difference between someone telling you "you're driving off a cliff" from someone *wanting* you to drive off a cliff.

Given that creativity is seen in distinctly non-human species, you're already wrong. Whether creativity by machines for machines will happen is unknown, but it's ridiculous to claim that it *won't.*

You can't bend reality to your will. I hope you don't subscribe to the fiction that human beings rely on instinct just like animals.

I've assisted in SF world building for many years. You know what makes good SF? Plausibility. That means I keep track of new tech. Advances made by humans for humans.

What is "exactly" your problem is separating fact from fiction.

Well, a *lot* of people have realized that "there's no time if you do the crime" in a lot of places, since the laws are enforced irregularly or not at all. But every now and then someone breaks a law that they fully expect to get away with - burglary, shoplifting, assault, home/nation invasion - and they get a dose of legal reality.

One might argue that this line of discussion has moved beyond the topic of the thread, but one would be a rather uncreative soul if one did so. Again: when AI replace all the writers, producers, actors and whatnot, they will doubtless be used to greater or lesser degrees in legal judgements. And in those cases, so long as the code is openly readable, law enforcement will either be clearly defined and relatively inflexible, or people will know just how exactly they're being screwed by incompetent and/or corrupt law-coding.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flLoSxd2nNY

Please don't take this the wrong way but ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... You live in a fantasy. Why do people admire celebrities? One of many reasons is they are people who have achieved something some people also want.

More News from the Future.

Variety

"AI Movies Bomb at the Box Office"

What was heralded as the future. The beginning of the end of actors, directors and all the other human beings Hollywood wanted off their books has failed. Poll after poll has shown conclusively that movies without "stars" are not movies people want to see. In survey after survey, the basic response is: "I want to see real people, not machine generated people." And: "My son wanted to be an actor but there are no acting jobs in Hollywood." A highly placed source in Hollywood has stated: "The verdict is in - nobody wants this." Another Hollywood insider said that "Maybe the machines should watch the movies. But they can't. They have no money." Hollywood executives are making plans to turn movie production over to human beings.

Please don't take this the wrong way but ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... You live in a fantasy. Why do people admire celebrities? One of many reasons is they are people who have achieved something some people also want.
Virtual idols respectfully disagree:

1697918048934.jpeg

What was heralded as the future. The beginning of the end of actors, directors and all the other human beings Hollywood wanted off their books has failed. Poll after poll has shown conclusively that movies without "stars" are not movies people want to see. In survey after survey, the basic response is: "I want to see real people, not machine generated people." And: "My son wanted to be an actor but there are no acting jobs in Hollywood." A highly placed source in Hollywood has stated: "The verdict is in - nobody wants this." Another Hollywood insider said that "Maybe the machines should watch the movies. But they can't. They have no money." Hollywood executives are making plans to turn movie production over to human beings.

...End of the virtual simulation "future with no AI ordered by edwest4 user. Thank you for using our AI-based "News from the Future" service - the first such service owned and staffed by virtual personalities.

Well, AI-lawyer isn't something someone would like to mess with. One thing in which even modern AI exceed - is finding loopholes and abusing the rules without actually breaking them. The AI lawyer would most likely be able to turn any law upside down by torrent of purely formalistic contradictions. It's main problem actually would be to understood what exactly its client wanted - because in this matters, AI quite clumsy.

I didn't accuse you of 'a lack of creativity.' A device that can mimic human actions is still just a device. Creativity is uniquely human. You seem to want music boxes from the 1800s to "evolve" (wrong term) into player pianos which then evolve into humanoid devices that have no humanity. They contain nothing except what humans put in them. They are nothing except what humans make them. You want to elevate and assign god-like status to things. That will never happen. Devices are not intentional, especially as regards inventing actions because they contain no humanity. A device that accidentally kills a person is just a product defect. An accident without intent.

Creativity is made by humans for humans. It can encompass all that makes us human. It can show our strengths and weaknesses. Our good and our bad. Those conflicts are portrayed in dramatic or subtle ways, and when done well, touch the heart and the mind. True art inspires, it uplifts, and in turn, inspires other human beings to make more of it. While there is an art sub-culture consisting of the distorted and the incomprehensible, for which few outside of a small circle can find any meaning, the more common forms that exist outside of the art cult are enjoyed by so many. Even sought after.
Basically all your arguments boil down to "creativity must be mystical and unique for men, because you can't bear the thought of immortal soul not existing".

Basically all your arguments boil down to "creativity must be mystical and unique for men, because you can't bear the thought of immortal soul not existing".

So you prefer dead, soulless mechanisms to living human beings with souls. I see.

Another thought for consideration. The wealthy want to pay as little as possible for labor. Nothing, actually. And now some dream of the perfect group of slaves - AI robots. With the Modern Slavery, they are free to pay nothing for humanoid labor. Nothing at all. The fantasy that AI robots could be like us -minus souls, of course - is false. Mobile devices that exist to perform tasks - nothing more. Those who think that devices deserve "rights" will be disappointed. Very. The AI Slaves will be the property of whoever owns them.

So you prefer dead, soulless mechanisms to living human beings with souls. I see.
There is no such thing as "soul". The concept of human personality for some weird reason being based not in the brain but in some immaterial substance, that could exist outside the brain, is, frankly, so absurd and contradictory, that it plainly serves no other purpose than to play on our animalistic, purely instinctive fear of death (so much for "divine", yeah). So the only difference is between electric/photonic-circuit mechanisms and organic-circuit mechanism.

Another thought for consideration. The wealthy want to pay as little as possible for labor. Nothing, actually. And now some dream of the perfect group of slaves - AI robots.
If labor cost nothing, then there are no wealthy. Everybody is in the exactly same position)

The fantasy that AI robots could be like us -minus souls, of course - is false.
Should I remind you that "soul" itself is a fantasy?

You *don't* see. Dilandu said precisely nothing about what he'd prefer. He simply pointed out that creativity need not necessarily require humans.

You keep making the same error. What's worse, this keeps being pointed out to you.

If labor cost nothing, then there are no wealthy. Everybody is in the exactly same position)

Untrue. Imagine a world of Star trek-like technology: desktop replicators that can make *anything* from food to drugs (including complete cures) to clothes to whatever else, so long as they are provided with power, raw materials and, presumably, a heat sink. Further assume desktop Mr. Fusion systems that can run whole households *and* several replicators using nothing but a few drops of water per day. In that world, all material needs would be fairly easily met. So who could possibly be wealthy?

Landowners. People who own *spaces* would be wealthy. Sure, with a replicator you could, in time, build all the parts needed for a house. But where would you put it?

Untrue. Imagine a world of Star trek-like technology: desktop replicators that can make *anything* from food to drugs (including complete cures) to clothes to whatever else, so long as they are provided with power, raw materials and, presumably, a heat sink. Further assume desktop Mr. Fusion systems that can run whole households *and* several replicators using nothing but a few drops of water per day. In that world, all material needs would be fairly easily met. So who could possibly be wealthy?

Landowners. People who own *spaces* would be wealthy. Sure, with a replicator you could, in time, build all the parts needed for a house. But where would you put it?
Erm, should I remind you, that there is virtually unlimited space just above our heads? With free energy and replicators, you could build as much O'Neil type colonies as you wish, essentially making landowners merely a providers of services.

You *don't* see. Dilandu said precisely nothing about what he'd prefer. He simply pointed out that creativity need not necessarily require humans.

You keep making the same error. What's worse, this keeps being pointed out to you.

Error? You keep making the same error; i.e. with enough math, anything is possible. And with you, inevitable.

Dead but mobile devices will be seen as a threat by human beings. You appear to want some kind of Utopia. But the reality is survival - for humans. You don't get that.

Erm, should I remind you, that there is virtually unlimited space just above our heads? With free energy and replicators, you could build as much O'Neil type colonies as you wish, essentially making landowners merely a providers of services.
Someone will own the asteroids. Presumably the scouts, or those who own/employ them. Granted there are a *lot* of asteroids...

Error? You keep making the same error; i.e. with enough math, anything is possible. And with you, inevitable.

How's that an error? Computational power is POWER.

Dead but mobile devices will be seen as a threat by human beings.
They already are seen as such... by some. And seen as useful by *far* more. Has been that way since the Luddites. Those who want progress have almost always won.

How's that an error? Computational power is POWER.

They already are seen as such... by some. And seen as useful by *far* more. Has been that way since the Luddites. Those who want progress have almost always won.

You're just rewriting Greek mythology to suit your fantasy. The gods of old are now the gods of today. They are so far above men, yet they meddle in the affairs of men to amuse themselves. They have so much POWER - such incredible POWER. Who can stand against them? No one.

And YOU want this? Sounds kinda bad...

Uh huh. Let's go with the great philosopher SpongeBob. You are suffering from machine worship... followed by extreme Star Trek enthrallment. Infinite space with infinite replicators awaits... Meanwhile, reality is all around you, today, now... And you live with no actual replicators... ...

Virtual idols respectfully disagree:

View attachment 710125

...End of the virtual simulation "future with no AI ordered by edwest4 user. Thank you for using our AI-based "News from the Future" service - the first such service owned and staffed by virtual personalities.
That is a market adjacent to anime, so yes, like for pretty much anything, there will be some nerds flocking to it, but I severely doubt it will become mainstream, because people that read People (magazine) are (for better or worse) emotionally invested in real life humans.

You can't bend reality to your will. I hope you don't subscribe to the fiction that human beings rely on instinct just like animals.
I'd extremely strongly advise to critically revise your apparent view that animals purely rely on instinct rather than some level of intelligence.

Last edited:
Wow - are you really that naive/ignorant/illogical? If labor is free, it just eliminates one of the main cost factors for the owners of the means of production - I would leave it to you to figure out what the consequence of that would be, but to make sure you don't get tripped up in any loopy thought processes, everyone would still NOT be in exactly the same position, but the extreme imbalances would only increase.

Last edited:
AI-assisted tools make 3D animation of figures (human and otherwise) a lot easier. Right now this is very niche... but eventually this could lead to the negation of the need for a *lot* of actual humans in film making. Street scenes won't need armies of extras. Fight scenes won't need martial artists and stunt coordinators. This has of course already been done, but AI assisted tools will make it a lot cheaper.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrddPZmUHvE

I think copyright holders and such just need to be a bit less tight.

Lots of C&Ds shut down model kit makers which is a bad look…and siccing Pinkertons on fans worse.

If I were John Carpenter, I’d be tickled pink at all the reaction videos of THE THING because that is free advertising.

ChatGPT is getting better

That is a market adjacent to anime, so yes, like for pretty much anything, there will be some nerds flocking to it, but I severely doubt it will become mainstream, because people that read People (magazine) are (for better or worse) emotionally invested in real life humans.
Otaku, furry, bronies, tolkienists, LARP'ers, ect... You must admit, that non-insignificant part of humanity is perfectly fine with loving character, not an actor. Which was exactly my point.

And YOU want this? Sounds kinda bad...
You are contradicting yourself; in one post you are laughing at the idea of intelligent machines, in the other post you spreading dire warning like "you want this". The truth is, that wanting or not is pretty much irrelevant here, like wanting or not that sun raise on the east. Technological progress paves the way; sociological merely follows the possibilities.

Otaku, furry, bronies, tolkienists, LARP'ers, ect... You must admit, that non-insignificant part of humanity is perfectly fine with loving character, not an actor. Which was exactly my point.
Anyone who thinks that people only want real live human actors in order to give a crap about characters on screen hasn't been paying attention for the last, oh, century or so. Humans are perfectly capable of forming a strong emotional attachment to not only characters that weren't performed by humans, but which aren't human species. And often, aren't even represented as biological organisms.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 02-00-38 WALL-E Robots Romance and Resilience – Establishing Shot.png Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 02-01-48 B2EMO.png

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 01-53-13 Star-Wars-Baby-Yoda-Ahsoka-Tano.avif (AVIF Image 1140 × 600 ...png Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 01-53-43 5 Non-human Movie Characters That are Loved by Viewers - New...png Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 01-54-03 Title 5 Non-human Movie Characters That are Loved by Viewers...png Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 01-54-31 10 Best Non-Human Disney Characters.png Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 01-57-21 Bambi (1942).png

Anyone who thinks that people only want real live human actors in order to give a crap about characters on screen hasn't been paying attention for the last, oh, century or so. Humans are perfectly capable of forming a strong emotional attachment to not only characters that weren't performed by humans, but which aren't human species. And often, aren't even represented as biological organisms.
Agreed completely. After all, humans developed strong emotinal attachment to the book characters long before TV or cinema appeared!

Not to mention that living celebrities aren't exactly "persons" either. A lot of them are specifically designed images. The most infamous are South Korean pop idols, which basically forced into extremely narrow pattern of carefully designed behavior, and could be reprimanded severly for any slight deviation from their public image.

The most infamous are South Korean pop idols,
And in strides Japan...

One of Japan’s most beloved pop stars is a hologram​

Hatsune Miku has released 100,000 songs — all created by her fans.

By almost any measure, Hatsune Miku is a worldwide pop music megastar. Over a 14-year career, the Japanese diva has uploaded 170,000 YouTube music videos for 1.55 million subscribers, amassed more than 2.3 million followers on Facebook, and released a staggering 100,000 songs.

Stay weird, Japan...

Status
Not open for further replies.