HMS Wilton artwork

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
The RN built a one off glassfibre Minehunter prototype in the 70s
Does anyone know why the artists impression of Wilton in Janes Fighting Ships and Pocket Book of Warships before she was built featured a futuristic looking ship with ball radar and triple Seacat launcher?
Was this ever a serious option?

The RN built a one off glassfibre Minehunter prototype in the 70s
Does anyone know why the artists impression of Wilton in Janes Fighting Ships and Pocket Book of Warships before she was built featured a futuristic looking ship with ball radar and triple Seacat launcher?
Was this ever a serious option?

Any chance you could post that drawing? Might help figure out where it came from.

Sorry I cannot find my copy at the moment as I photocopied it years ago. It was in the first edition of the Janes Pocket Book of Warships.

I'd like to see that too as I've never come across that.

I will keep looking. It should be in one of the late 60s early 70*s JFS..

Ah, sorry. It wasn't in JFS in 1965-66 or 1972-73 (the only volumes I have from that timeframe).

Confusingly the Janes Pocket Book of Major Warships was first published in 1973/4. I have no idea which book my photcopy ended up in. I was hoping to find it online somewhere.

Confusingly the Janes Pocket Book of Major Warships was first published in 1973/4. I have no idea which book my photcopy ended up in. I was hoping to find it online somewhere.

funny that they put minesweepers in "Major Warships." They're almost the definition of minor warships, after all. Apparently, at some point, the intention was to have a "Submarines and Minor Warships" volume but it seems to have morphed into "Submarine Development" and lost the minor warship section.

Last edited:
I think the book reused line drawings from JFS. I used to have a copy when I was at school. I photocopied the strange Wilton line drawing years later in the MOD Library from their copy.