Help finding FS-X/F-2 AESA radar data package

F-2

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm trying to get some documents from the F-2's radar that I believe may be non classified but all my attempts have run into walls. I'm looking for three documents

1) a JDA data package sent to the United States in November 1991

2) a Wright Laboratory evaluation of the J/APG-1 FSD model written up between 1995 and !997

3) A department of Commerce VHS tape of the MELCO briefing that was sold to the public in February 1994 from an industry symposium in 1992

I've sent FOIA requests to Air Force Material Command, DTIC, and Commerce. yet none can find what I'm looking for inspite of citing a number of documents that mention it, though DTIC is helping me obtain a number of technical abstracts I need. I was hoping that someone hear could offer some advice. I'll post a few of my references and see if anyone might be able to help.

from troubled partnership reference to 1 and 2

In mid-1993, program officials publicly revealed that MELCO would sign the final agreement in July for the sale of five sample T/R modules to the U.S. government. The U.S. Air Force microwave division at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base planned to begin testing the MELCO modules in late July or early August. The U.S. government paid less for each MELCO module than the unit cost of the much higher-performance Texas Instruments modules used in the ATF prototype dem/val program but considerably more than for the higher-performance modules Hughes developed in 1991. The key to the deal had been the "packaging" of the request to purchase modules as a necessary component of transferring data needed by the United States to assess the technology for possible transfer at a later date. According to one JDA official, "this [technical data agreement] is not technology transfer per se." He explained that "the data are the main point." (Leopold and Usui, 1993b.) Successful purchase of the MELCO T/R modules for testing in the United States is rightly viewed by many program officials as a significant achievement. However, it remains uncertain whether the original questions the Pentagon posed can be answered with the data the Japanese provided or whether that will emerge through testing. The Japanese data package included interface control data and some production-lot test data. It did not include all Japanese evaluation test data or design drawings and methodologies (Oda, 1993a).

The JDA data package I believe predates most of the technology transfer. I have also seen it referenced (but not cited) in a paper where the author clearly references having scene it. I was hoping to be able to find it. Its also in this GAO report
In November 199 1, Japan Defense Agency officials provided a limited amount of test data to the United States and described the types of information Japan would be willing to provide to respond to DOD questions. The U.S. Air Force was studying the test data and the information offered for release by Japan to determine if it would satisfy access requirements under the Memorandum of Understanding. DOD has also been exploring the possibility of purchasing or leasing Japanese radar modules for test and evaluation purposes.

here is the paper its referenced in
In addition, along some measures, the FS-X EM radar can be considered lower than the U.S. state-of-art In particular, flight test results of the EM supplied by the JDA indicate considerably lower detection range, sidelobe suppression, and resolution than the U.S. F-16/APG-68--one of the most advanced US. systems compatible with F-16 or FS-X-sized aircraft.
this is for an early prototype and of lower capability then the final model but its still of great use to me and if possible I would lie to get it. Its also the one I'm most hopeful of finding

the second is mentioned quite a bit more the wright laboratory evaluation of the Final T/R modules. This one is referenced a lot as scene above and was distributed to the attendance of the 1992 FS-X radar Symposium. I've heard chatter in the past of it being available and it doesn't SOUND like proprietary information but that could be wrong. I accept it might not be available but wanted to see. In addition to the above here are two GAO reports that make reference to the report.

In August 1993, U.S. engineers at the Wright Laboratory Solid State Electronics Directorate began testing the five radar modules DOD purchased from Japan. By February 1994, the United States had finished a complete set of verification tests for module performance. The tests indicated that the modules perform according to specifications and will meet Japanese FS-X radar requirements. A U.S. engineer involved in the testing said that the performance of Japanese modules was very good and in one area are on a par with the best U.S. modules. In May 1994, a U.S. radar module testing team visited Japan to compare and verify U.S. and Japanese test results. U.S. engineers may conduct additional tests to assess the performance of FS-X radar modules relative to U.S. modules planned for use on the F-22 aircraft.1 DOD was preparing a

To evaluate the F-2’s active phased array radar system, the U.S. Air Force acquired five transmit/receive modules to test and evaluate at its Wright Laboratory. The radar was of interest to DOD because it incorporates new technologies; however, some officials believe that U.S. radar technology being developed for the F-22 is a generation ahead of Japanese technology.

also mentioned in the !995 GAO report is a department of commerce video tape. The video is a Briefing/AV brochure that was sold to the public in the past. commerce apparently does not keep AV records I was told.

The only FS-X data publicly available from the U.S. government is a video providing an overview of the fire control radar. The Department of Commerce’s National Technical Information Service began selling this video in February 1994. Certain DOD FS-X technical reports developed in cooperation with Japan are available within the U.S. government and to some industry officials. For example, a U.S. Air Force official said the U.S. government is distributing a report of its radar module testing results to all attendees of the 1992 radar symposium.

I'm trying to get my hands on any of these. If anyone knows anything or has any advice I would appreciate it and would even pay if it led to any of these. DTIC has tons of documents mostly out of reach but did not seem able to locate what i'm looking for even with these references.