Handley Page 1937 Unarmed Bomber

PMN1

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
From Tony Butler’s ‘British Secret Projects, Fighters and Bombers 1935-1950’

In May 1937 George Volkert, chief designer at Handley Page, completed a twenty-page document called ‘A Memorandum on Bombing Policy and its Influence on design’. This was prepared, possibly in response to an approach from the Air Ministry’s Research & Development department, with a view to assessing the ‘benefits’ to a bomber if it did not have to carry defensive armament and crew, a subject about which Volkert felt most strongly.

Does anyone know if that document still exists?

He presented an unarmed bomber project as a comparison to the existing P.13/36 medium bomber – this possessed a near perfect aerodynamic fuselage with a pointed nose and tail, BSP gives this:

Wingspan 88.6ft
Length 74.6ft
Wing Area 988 sqft

With two Vultures top speed was 380mph and cruise was 300mph with 3,000lb bombs (max bomb load being 7,000lb)

This is quite a large aircraft, does anyone know how the 7,000lb max bomb load affected the size of the bomb bay and therefore the aircraft, what if it was designed for say 4 x 1,000lb bombs as the Hawker P.1005 was (span 70.0ft, length 54.0ft, WA 677sqft, 400mph with two Sabres) or kept as was but with 4 Merlins?

Hi
i read your post and was reminded of a book that i borrowed from the library about 10 years ago. As i couldn't remember the title, author or anything, i tried a peek through Amazon; with no luck. But, i could swear it had details on the plane you speak of. If i come across it again, i'll let you know

Hi
i read your post and was reminded of a book that i borrowed from the library about 10 years ago. As i couldn't remember the title, author or anything, i tried a peek through Amazon; with no luck. But, i could swear it had details on the plane you speak of. If i come across it again, i'll let you know
A link the book British Secret Projects: Fighters and Bombers 1935-1950 can be found at Amazon:

The Handley Page unarmed bomber design had only two piston engines, if you're curious.