Gun installation - 1937 British project

Schneiderman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This is the gun installation in a British project in 1937. I'm guessing machine guns but the sketch of the mount is not something I understand. What is the circular feature? Does it imply they could be traversed? What about the dotted lines? Looking for an armament expert. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

1937 UK.jpg

That sounds plausible, and the dotted line could show a second gun inverted alongside. Were there any guns of that period with drum feed of that size?

Yes to me it looks like a drum box, the inboard gun having its drum on the bottom (gun inverted?) and the outboard gun having its drum on top. So in essence a way to pack two drum-fed wing guns into a wing economically.

I would say the only gun that fits (and the barrel/muzzle looks very similar) is the Vickers 'K' (and would seem to be about 2ft long too).

Were there any guns of that period with drum feed of that size?
From 'Flying Guns WW2':

An attempt was made by Vickers to promote the VGO as a fixed gun, and both 300-round and 600-round drum magazines were air-tested but not adopted. A twin-barrel version was also successfully developed, but as this would have required additional tooling to put into production, it was not adopted.