• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Groen Brothers « Monsoon », a Hercules-based gyroplane

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

is that a really design or not ?,and what is this ?.

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 320

Antonio

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Hesham,

It is a real but unbuilt design from Groen Brothers

http://www.groenbros.com/

Kim Margosein

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
What is with gyroplanes? It seems like such a no-brainer idea, but the projects and the companies that promote them seem to dry up and blow away. What is the inherant flaw?

Vahe Demirjian

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I saw an artist's conception of a Groen design for a military gyroplane transport based on the Hercules in an edition of Janes All-the-World's Aircraft.

taildragger

You can count on me - I won a contest
Reaction score
What is with gyroplanes? It seems like such a no-brainer idea, but the projects and the companies that promote them seem to dry up and blow away. What is the inherant flaw?
Their inherent limitation is their inability to maintain a sustained hover because the rotor system is, in a pure autogyro, unpowered. VTOL takeoffs and landings are conducted with the rotor driven by inertia and constantly slowing so these operations must be completed very precisely. Mechanisms to drive the rotor were introduced but the result starts to get as complex as a helicopter and so erodes the type's main virtue: mechanical simplicity. They seem to have an advantage over fixed wing aircraft in STOL operations but introduce the complexity and speed limitations of a rotor.