Google Earth Satellite Images of Russian Submarines

Broncazonk

What the hell?
Reaction score
I'm kind of a Russian sub nut--I like looking at them. I've enclosed four (4) Google images of various submarines. Do I have them labelled correctly?

Bronc

Attachments

• 3 Victor III's at Rybachiy Naval Base1.jpg
    3 Victor III's at Rybachiy Naval Base1.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 290
  • November Class SSN.jpg
    November Class SSN.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 276
  • Oscars and Akula's at Rybachiy.jpg
    Oscars and Akula's at Rybachiy.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 269
  • Victors and Oscars at Lopatkina.jpg
    Victors and Oscars at Lopatkina.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 251
  • Oscar II at Nerpichya.jpg
    Oscar II at Nerpichya.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 195
More Google Earth 'Intelligence' Images...

Attachments

• Typhoon-Class.jpg
    Typhoon-Class.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Oscar Dock and Decommissioned Victor III at Bolshaya.jpg
    Oscar Dock and Decommissioned Victor III at Bolshaya.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Ara Bay in 2002.jpg
    Ara Bay in 2002.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 30
  • 4 x Typhoons at Nerpichya.jpg
    4 x Typhoons at Nerpichya.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 30
At first glance you seem to have gotten them right. For an amusing image, go down the waterway west of Severomorsk. About where the river bends south (eventually headed to the Kuznetsov's berth) you should see a floating drydock. Cycle backwards through the historical imagery and eventually you'll see a Delta IV sitting fully exposed in the drydock! The historical imagery makes sub-hunting a more amusing experience, I've found all kinds of less common hulls like the Yankee Notch (Granat SLCM carrier) and Yankee Sidecar (Meteorit trials hull).

Here is an image I do not understand. Three (3) boomers shown in shot dated 6/12/2009 at Tarinski Bay (Petropavlovsk.) Note the length of these boats--155 meters. That makes them Delta II boats as the Delta III and Delta IV boats are 166 meters. Given the fact that all Delta II boats were taken out of service in 1996, I'm left wondering.

The second shot shows two (2) of them still there on 4/16/2010. (Along with two (2) Oscar II's.)

And they are gone in 2011.

Bronc

Attachments

• 3 x Delta II Boomers.jpg
    3 x Delta II Boomers.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Delta II and Oscar II.jpg
    Delta II and Oscar II.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 34
Those are Pacific Fleet Project 667BDR SSBNs, Delta IIIs. BDs (Delta IIs) and BDRs (Delta IIIs) are 155 meters, BDRMs (Delta IVs) are 167. They've reportedly still got four operational at Rybachiy (the Petropavlovsk SSBN base).

In 2010, there were two (2) Pacific Fleet Delta IV boomers in the Zvezda shipyard (that bay straight east of Vladivostok.) The K-431, the Echo-class boat involved in that nuclear disaster is directly across the bay. A lot of newer stuff (and rarer stuff) comes and goes from there. A Sierra II is docked in one image.

Bronc

Attachments

• 2 x Delta IV Boomers at Vladivostok.jpg
    2 x Delta IV Boomers at Vladivostok.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Zvezda Shipyard.jpg
    Zvezda Shipyard.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 34
I make those to be about 155 meters, making them Delta IIIs. I don't believe Delta IVs ever served with the Pacific Fleet.

Yep, you're right. I had to go up to Skalisky and look at the Delta IV's up there to see the difference. The Delta IV is longer in the tail than the Delta III.

Thanks SOC, that's why I'm doing this. I always have trouble measuring them because the aft end of the boat is underwater and you have to guess how far out the screw goes.

Here's another example of a boat in drydock, this time an Oscar II at Rybachiy.

Bronc

Attachments

• Oscar II in Dry Dock.jpg
    Oscar II in Dry Dock.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 32
I see your drydocked Oscar and raise you a Delta IV ;D

Attachments

• DIVdrydock.jpg
    DIVdrydock.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 33