Goodyear Ejection Capsule - posted for the flight of fancy it just left

The Artist

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This flight of fancy is from an old issue of Aviation Week.

If those are ramjets, how would the thing get up to speed? And if those are complete with all moving parts engines, how do those thin wings support them?

What chance that the engines pivot and this is a VTOL Mach 3 concept? ;D

I can't help finding this image fun and funny.

Mike

Attachments

• small Goodyear_Ejection_Capsule_Artwork_Mar-3-58_AvWeek.jpg
    small Goodyear_Ejection_Capsule_Artwork_Mar-3-58_AvWeek.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 129
I find it interesting that the caption feels the need to make the reader "note" the canards. They have no bearing whatsoever on the actual ejection capsule itself, unless the capsule needs for the aircraft to be in smooth, stable flight in order to be used - which puts the operational validity of the capsule in doubt.

Just call me Ray said:
I find it interesting that the caption feels the need to make the reader "note" the canards.

Well, at the time canards were pretty unusual.

But this is a GE "design," which means it was likely wholly notional, just to give the capsule something to punch out of.

Orionblamblam said:
But this is a GE "design," which means it was likely wholly notional, just to give the capsule something to punch out of.

??? You meant "Goodyear" here, not "GE", right?

The pods propulsion could well be ducted rocket/ramjet, augmented ramjet, ejector ramjet. A primary rocket is built into the aft end of the center spike which entrians secondary air flow around spike into the duct pod where it is diffused and either utilized as a simple augmented rocket or the secondary and primary streams mix and burn the unburnt fuel in the primary exhaust in the duct. Either way it augments the primary rocket thrust until the vehicle reaches mach plus velocity and then the ram jet takes over. Zero to high mach 4 capable.