Globe Model 22 Delta Wing Pulse Jet Drone

circle-5

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
In the late 1940s, Globe Aircraft developed some pulse-jet target drones for the U.S. military. These included the KD2G Firefly (with McDonnell's 8-inch PJ42 engine) and the 1949 KD5G (with Marquardt PJ46 engine).

Attached photos show a factory model of the Globe 22, a pulse-jet target drone study from that period, nicknamed "The Goblin". Of particular interest is the wing, a thick, 45 deg. truncated delta with Alexander Lippisch written all over it. At least, that is what I'm hoping to find out: did Globe copy the DM-1 wing (which was in the U.S. at the time) or hire Lippisch as a consultant, as did Convair? I believe Lippisch was working for Collins back then, but perhaps his WWII research on delta wings was available to U.S. companies, through NACA(?). It is doubtful that Globe had the engineering resources to design this project in the 1940s without outside help.

The engine appears to be a Ford PJ31 (Argus copy) or some other, notional pulse-jet -- can't be sure without a scale.

Does anyone have more details on this long-forgotten study?

Attachments

• Globe Model 22 01.jpg
    Globe Model 22 01.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 199
  • Globe Model 22 02.jpg
    Globe Model 22 02.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 174
At last I know where Gene Roddenberry got his inspiration for the Starship Enterprise... ;D

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 23
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 22
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 19
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 21
Considering that it's from Globe Aircraft, and the flying boat hull, I think target drone (with the water-landing capability) is more likely. Maybe some kind of 1947s proposal?