Germany seeks pricing for 41 CH-53K King Stallions

@uk 75 :Notice that the super Frelon was designed for the French Navy on a S-61 power train to mainly replace their S-58 ;)
Indeed, but the Israelis used the Super Frelon in the HLH role before they got the Stallion. No idea why France has no HLHs.

The Germans have special helicopter carried armoured vehicles (Wiesel) which were designed around the CH53. The CH53 was also used during various flood emergencies to carry material.
Both the Heer and the RAF seem loyal to their respective choices.
Wiesel should fit in a CH-47. After all, the Chinook is actually slightly larger internally than the CH-53D and E. (The King is another matter; it is bigger than the previous versions of -53).
Wiesel will fit in CH-47. In fact two of them will. That said some of the other vehicles of the Fallschimjager I am not sure would fit.

This is another slightly pointless thread which belongs more in Aeroplane Monthly rather than a site about unbuilt and secret projects.
King Stallion and Chinook are built and not very secret. German procurement policy speculation is a political topic.

This is another slightly pointless thread which belongs more in Aeroplane Monthly rather than a site about unbuilt and secret projects.
King Stallion and Chinook are built and not very secret. German procurement policy speculation is a political topic.
This topic is for current stuff.

Fine, but I am free to make the point, just as you are to say why you like these threads.

Fine, but I am free to make the point, just as you are to say why you like these threads.
So it is okay for me to think your point about slightly uselessness, is slightly useless?

of course. I was only expressing how I feel about the value of this thread.
You disagree.
not sure what "slightly useless" means.
I assume you think the topic is relevant to unbuilt secret projects rather than an aviation enthusiasts site.

I find these posts useful, as they let me keep up to date on aerospace industry developments. I think that’s why we have a ”General“ section. I also don’t have easy access to publications like Aeroplane Monthly, and besides, the insights of the people on this forum are far more valuable to me.

starviking
you make a solid case for these threads.
I understand their usefulness. My reservations stem from the "political" comments that they are used for. These
often are the kind that belong on Twitter.

starviking
you make a solid case for these threads.
I understand their usefulness. My reservations stem from the "political" comments that they are used for. These
often are the kind that belong on Twitter.
In total agreement on posts with a strong political bent - we don’t need to become a mini-Twitter here.

Indeed. However I do think this forum is more than just a source of engineering data. I think it very difficult to see the entire picture of what is going on without keeping in mind the rational of the people who get to decide if an air vehicle is real, or merely another secret project to ponder on. My point was only to say that the German government had not really cleared up the confusion with the foreign competitors who had participated in the program. If it is felt that I had gone beyond that, my apologies.

Dbl posting here:

Not a CH-53K news per se but still an interesting potential development: Germany could deploy some of its CH-53E in Niger and Mali to support the European contingent.

This is related to France dithering over heavy helicopters since twenty years at least.
"Let's borrow some from our European partners..." there has been a renewed debate over this point recently.

9 more K at a cheaper price:

Poor wording in the article. These aren't nine additional. They're the next LRIP buy.

"These nine helicopters are part of the 200 aircraft Program of Record"

Price is going down because of the learning curve. Probably will go back up next batch I'd guess because of inflation.