• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

G.R.I.E.R. pods: Ground Resupply Insertion Extraction Rescue pods for VTOL

carolm

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Does anyone have the artwork for the former McD GRIER pods proposed for the AV-8B?

Mike Pryce

BAe P.1216 book: harrier.org.uk/P1216.htm
Reaction score
There are some model pics of a GRIER pod on a Harrier II and JSF at:

http://www.combatreform2.com/escape.htm (about 3/4 of the way down - lots of related info too)

The related AVPRO pod can be seen at:

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/1998/09/23/43106/uk-test-fits-avpro-exint-pod-on-harrier.html

According to:

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2000/01/25/61133/exint-cleared-for-ah-64-as-production-starts.html

it was cleared for the UK Apache and put into production, but recent events would sem to indicate otherwise.

Sorry, no artwork I can find for either, but someone must have the AVPRO book to scan.

On a Harrier the noise intensity would have been a challenge. The Pegasus engine gives of 165-170dB close up. Above 140dB nausea can be overwhelming. Above 160dB human hair can combust!

Jemiba

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Here are two pictures of the Avpro EXINT pod.
(from Oliver/Ryan "Warplanes Of The Future")
The idea seems to be logical, but regarding the
mentioned noise levels, maybe it's one of the ideas,
some people are glad, that they were never realised ..

Attachments

carolm

Reaction score
:D This forum has the most knowledgible and resourceful people period.

Many thanks!

Skybolt

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Uh, uh, not bad, but it remembers me the "body bags" attached to the wing of Spits containing a ground crew for rapid relocations.... ;) And thanks Carolm, we always try harder... 8)

Mike Pryce

Reaction score
Yep, thanks!

However, I am only too aware of my own ignorance in relation to many others.

Another very good thing about this forum is that no one resorts to the name calling and petty squabbling on other forums.

Skybolt

Reaction score
Another very good thing about this forum is that no one resorts to the name calling and petty squabbling on other forums.
That's why we are "the" forum... ;)

elmayerle

Reaction score
I keep wanting to model the proposed "battlefield" taxi version of the Harrier (HS.1199 as I remember) with these pods under the wing and labelled "coach class".

Mike Pryce

Reaction score
The AVPRO pic above showing the SHAR with pods on the outer pylons, with the tanks between them and the nozzles, would have reduced the noise problem. However, the control problems would have been interesting - just adding AMRAAM required changed wing 'dressing' details and twin AMRAAM were too destabilising for one pylon.

I think helicopters are better for some things, although these chaps may have some more significant thoughts on the matter:

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/747E1F3D-B1B6-4412-9D58-79A2F5825C78/0/ApacheRescue06.jpg

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
As the Fairey Barrcuda had already shown, the idea isn't new at all, but perhaps
we here in Germany had more sense for a comfortable transport ... ;D

Attachments

dan_inbox

Reaction score
Comfortable ?
You think the vertical delivery was more comfortable? ;D

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
"You think the vertical delivery was more comfortable?"

Point landing is a point landing, only drawback would have been,
that the "passengers" would have to digg themselves out of the
crater ! :D

erod

Reaction score
I have heard there was a proposal to fit the Harrier with 2 under wing pods that could insert and extract covert troops. I have found a brief description of the program here:

http://www.harrier.org.uk/history/Harrier_Testing.htm

"We’ve seen a scheme published recently whereby Special Forces, downed aircrew etc. may be inserted or recovered in pods under a Harrier pylon "

Does anyone have more information on the scheme?

yasotay

Reaction score
erod said:
I have heard there was a proposal to fit the Harrier with 2 under wing pods that could insert and extract covert troops.
No offense, but a Harrier landing VTOL is the antithesis of "covert"

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
It was another weird idea from AVPRO guys...seems that I have some schematics in a book, will look.

Avimimus

Reaction score
Soviet's in the Great Patriotic War sometimes backed people into underwing pods attached to the Po-2. At destination the person would jump without a parachute and aim for the largest snowdrift. :eek:

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've read, that during winter in russia, this was quite a common method for
paratroopers in WW II, to jump out from an extremely low flying Li-2 or TB-3
into the deep snow. "Due to the excellent training of the soviet troops, this
was seen as an acceptable method, giving much less warning and time to react
to the fascist enemy". That, or very similar was the text, IIRC.
Well, maybe the book was a little bit biased ... ;)

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
Popular Mechanics had a mention of the GRIER pod in its Sept. 1994 edition, in the Tech Update section.

r16

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
not much of an sensational contribution , but ı have long wondered if this was really possible .I had seen it a comic series , maybe named Bob Morane , where some mercenaries jumped into rice paddies if it is the word , or some small lakes from a low flying aircraft .

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
From the AvPro Projects thread, what seems to be a variant or spin-off of the concept for NASA (h/t dragon72):

As well as some artwork of the main concept:

And what seems to have been another variant; a pod designed for the emergency evacuation of civilians from disaster areas/trouble spots:

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't notice that back then, but even now, I don't really understand, what it is used
for here. The pod obviously has flotation bags and is labelled "NASA". The guy in the
foreground is wearing a flight suite and the aircraft above seems more to be in real
problems, than just using its reheat. But was using that pod as a means of a rescue
device (in flight) ever mentioned ? And how should the crew board them in flight ?
A pity, that we cannot ask AvPro anymore ! ;)

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
There was a similar proposal to hang crew pods from AH-64 Apache attack helicopters. That proposal never got beyond mock up stage.

In practice, Israelis sat evacuees on
Apache stub wings and wrapped seat-belts around for the 1 or 2 kilometre flight out of rifle range.
British Apaches used this same technique once or twice in Afghanistan to evacuate wounded from battles. They only carried evacuees to the nearest ground ambulance. See the book "Wearing the Green Beret" by a Canadian-born Royal Marine who fought in Southern Afghanistan.

I also vaguely remember a photo of a modified drop tank hanging from a P-38 Lightning (?). A USAF mechanic smiled through the Plexiglas nose cap. The modification primarily included a clear Plexiglas nose cap. Considering the graceful curves,the Plexiglas cap was probably molded in a state-side factory.

iverson

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
There was a similar proposal to hang crew pods from AH-64 Apache attack helicopters. That proposal never got beyond mock up stage.

In practice, Israelis sat evacuees on
Apache stub wings and wrapped seat-belts around for the 1 or 2 kilometre flight out of rifle range.
British Apaches used this same technique once or twice in Afghanistan to evacuate wounded from battles. They only carried evacuees to the nearest ground ambulance. See the book "Wearing the Green Beret" by a Canadian-born Royal Marine who fought in Southern Afghanistan.

I also vaguely remember a photo of a modified drop tank hanging from a P-38 Lightning (?). A USAF mechanic smiled through the Plexiglas nose cap. The modification primarily included a clear Plexiglas nose cap. Considering the graceful curves,the Plexiglas cap was probably molded in a state-side factory.
I remember reading that the P-38 pod was used to carry a photographer who photographed an F4U strike on Okinawa.